oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

It's an unfortunate fact that Middlesbrough as a town, and by extension Teesside has a horrible image in the public conscious of this country.

It's not helped by the fact that some of the few times it is in the national news is down to social problems in the area.

Footballers are just regular people, they'll also have this perception if they're from this country.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Some parts of it certainly were when I lived there for 11 years, yes.

Ive lived there all my life. . Maybe a few parts yeh like all areas. Alot worse places in boro tho imo

The immediate central Teesside area (Middlesbrough/Stockton) is a bit of a poor place to visit and I'm being kind. These days Linthorpe Road isn't for the feint hearted. Redcar High Street like most others in the UK is a run down dilapidated eyesore not helped by the recent out of context additions of the Hub and the Helter Skelter.  Having said and admitted to that someone on £5K a week wouldn't be living anywhere near those areas let alone £50K a week.

The immediate vicinity offers some of the most pleasant places to live in the UK. The dilemma is if the Player wants a Penthouse with Bar and Cafe culture on his doorstep or a nice mansion in suburbia to bring up a family. If its the latter, say Southgate/Friend as examples then its great. If its a young lad from the smoke or Manchester missing his mates and lads nights out then even Newcastle would be seen as a downgrade let alone Leeds. With that in mind the psyche of the Players we are chasing let alone their ability will also (or should be) an important factor to save a waste of time and energy.

There are of course a third group (no names) who maybe need to escape the excesses of drink, drugs and binge gambling,.I have no doubt that their therapist could thoroughly recommend a stay at the Riverside although that wasn't the case in the 90's. Another group are the local lads, ones with friends and families in the area who (like Ben Gibson it appears and Dael Fry) like the region So we are looking for low cost, talented Footballers, content with £10K a week, preferably family men (or at least in rehab) ideally with a North East connection.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

It's an unfortunate fact that Middlesbrough as a town, and by extension Teesside has a horrible image in the public conscious of this country.

It's not helped by the fact that some of the few times it is in the national news is down to social problems in the area.

Footballers are just regular people, they'll also have this perception if they're from this country.

I dont think its necessarily an issue with the town, I think its the location and the perception becomes another easy assumption for the cons list when looking at a side who has just been in a relegation battle.

I think we just need to be smarter with transfers, we clearly cant get involved in auctions where half of the league are interested because there is always someone else ahead of us. Whether its looking abroad or taking risks on players who seem to be less fancied such as Maddison, we desperately need a change of tact as its been the same issue for years

1 hour ago, ManBearPig said:

I think the problem of the location is that for people who aren’t footballers who are young, what else is the attraction? 

100% attractive for some things, but I’m struggling to think of some for a footballer. Cheaper house prices and scenery. But certainly not with shopping, places to visit and other activities for the family compared to other places in the UK

I like the idea of all these footballers wanting to live in London so they can visit museums and the theatre on a regular basis.  Most (decent) footballers want a big house or apartment, a couple of flash cars and a decent looking lass on their arm.  The closest they get to culture is Nando's and clubbing, which sounds an awful lot like the same stuff that they'd be doing up here.

• Like 1

Doesn’t seem to be a lot happening anywhere at the moment .

Im confident Warnock will know how to handle it .. it’s when he hands it over to the rest of the team  to try and tie deals up that I worry. 

13 minutes ago, Mfcdanny said:

Ive lived there all my life. . Maybe a few parts yeh like all areas. Alot worse places in boro tho imo

That's why I said 'the rough areas of', I didn't just mean Longlands was rough altogether. 😄 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Eh? I don't really see the resemblance between you deciding not to move to a council estate and the decision a footballer has when buying/renting a place up here. How many players do you think we've signed who've ended up in the rough ends of Longlands, Grove Hill or even Hemlington?

Stampy might have 🙂

We need a new left back Norwich are set to sign  quality in Villarreal 23 year old Xavi Quintilla for this position why aren't we in for these players. It all comes down to us being focused on the English market for our recruitment. Wish we signed more foreign players as they is far better quality abroad for the money! 

2 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

We need a new left back Norwich are set to sign  quality in Villarreal 23 year old Xavi Quintilla for this position why aren't we in for these players. It all comes down to us being focused on the English market for our recruitment. Wish we signed more foreign players as they is far better quality abroad for the money! 

Likely because we can't afford players like that, how much is he costing them? Not much point comparing us with Norwich, a club who banked almost all of their premier league money.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)