oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Just now, TeaCider24 said:

I don't think we can risk selling any players as it stands.

We need numbers, not just replacements, and it's a struggle to get even that right now.

I agree, even though Britt is desperate to leave, we really ought to hold on to him for next season. 

1 minute ago, Jamie-H said:

There's still players out there for us like Stewart and this new link Maghoma seems like he could be a canny pick up. If we can fill the DM and CB spot with 2 frees that leaves us more money on the front end of the pitch I'm not worried yet.

We were apparently in for Korey Smith on a free as well the fact we switched up to looking at a 1.5-1.9 million deal for Williams suggests there might actually be more money in the budget than we thought to be honest. 

If we haven't got more bodies in by early September I'll be the first one doing laps with an airhorn wondering WTF is going on but right now there's still alot out there and we don't seem to be tunnelling.

Maybe we could do a socially distanced protest march around the Riverside, with placards demanding the recruitment team do something. "What do we want?" "Overpriced panic buys!" "When do we want them?" "At ten am today!"

We do seem to be missing out on a lot of players, but there could be a whole host of valid reasons us plebs aren't being informed about - contract length, fees or wages, too many add-on clauses, players just using Boro to inflate bids from elsewhere with no real interest in joining us...

I doubt Neil Warnock is spitting his tea across the table every time a Championship team signs someone we may have enquired about or had a Zoom chat with.

I agree we should have a bigger squad for pre-season by this stage, but let's wait til Shrewsbury to judge the strength (or weakness) of the squad. In the meantime, I'm happy looking at photos of the backs of people's heads and trying to guess if they're a player, a delivery driver or a former contestant from The Voice asking for directions to Darlington McDonalds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I feel fairly confident Warnock could still guide us to a comfortable lower mid-table position with the squad we have...but at the same time it is a worry that we are struggling to recruit. I mean its never easy, but lately it seems even tougher than usual.

I guess thats the combination of our relegation scrap last season, the lack of money and the fact Boro isn't exactly top of most players' "would like to play for" lists.

I guess we really are relying on Warnock's contacts and his ability to persuade players he's worked with previously, that we are worth signing for.

Times have changed, mate. We’ll get up there again, but it’s going to be a long journey. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TheJew said:

It does appear that once again our recruitment team are inept. 

Warnock wanting players in... he gets one in Grant Hall. 

What did they do wrong? Why did Williams choose Bristol and not us? You seem to know.

• Like 2

We really seem to be very poor at getting any sort of deal for a player finalised.

It’s a reflection on our current status and competency but more worryingly our ability to sell our ambition to potential players.

The last time we were forward thinking and proficient  was when Peter Kenton was involved.

1 minute ago, TheJew said:

You can’t always get what you want and sometimes you just have to make do.
I’d like a brand new car, but times are hard in my industry, so I’ll just carry on with the one I’ve got. It’s fine. 

seriously guys, you do realise that we hav no god given right to sign any player we want?

the player decides where he wants to go, and I don't think any player has Boro as 1st choice by default.

we are not an attractive club and we have limited resources.

If a player says no to what we can offer then - yeah it sucks, but we move on.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

You can’t always get what you want and sometimes you just have to make do.
I’d like a brand new car, but times are hard in my industry, so I’ll just carry on with the one I’ve got. It’s fine. 

But sometimes that car isn't actually fine and the breaks stop working and you crash and you die.

2 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Is it not just possible that the players are choosing other clubs as they’re a more attractive prospect?

the days of us chucking a few extra grand at someone to get them up here are long gone. I’m disappointed we haven’t got anyone else in yet but besides Goode I personally wasn’t too fussed about Williams or Moore. I’ve got more faith that Warnock will not let this issue drop and will fight until he gets at least some of what he’s after. Got to try and not *** the bed until near the end of the window at least. 

• Like 3

I guess we just have to accept the reality we're a lower tier championship team now. We can't compete against teams who have money and ambition like Bristol City and Brentford.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)