oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

On 8/16/2020 at 11:30 AM, diggerlad07 said:

I'm sure we would sell anyone at the moment especially players with a higher value don't you?

£10million for someone like Spence with potential could get us 4 decent players.

I suppose so but selling what could turn out to be good players, if that's the way Boro have to go, is arguably a bad position. Boro should IMO be looking up not at avoiding relegation by the skin of their teeth again and that means good players who are going to get better not ho-hum journeymen costing a quarter of what Spence could bring in. 

All IM very humble opinion, of course.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Something I cannot get my head around is why Boro managers and senior staff can't grasp the fact that assembling a balanced squad is actually very simple:

Choose a formation and sign two players for every position, except goalkeeper, where you need three.

That's pretty much it. Any player capable of finding his backside with both hands will be able to move to an adjacent position or tolerate a slight formation change - 442 to 4312, for instance - but that's about all they need to be able to do. It is neither rocket science nor brain surgery.

For context, I am not a football person. I work in the media, can barely do two keepy-ups, and my three year old nutmegged me the other day. When I watch a game, I'm guilty of ball watching, and I'm far from adept at identifying tactics. I am, in other words, a bit clueless when it comes to analysing football. And yet I - along with many other people on this board - have been repeatedly highlighting for years something the supposed professionals at our club seem to be permanently blind to - the gaping holes in our squad. Gibson. Bausor. Gill. Pulis. Woodgate. How the galloping f**k did these people end up working in football, if they aren't looking at our lopsided and unbalanced squad and thinking "hang on, that's not right"? We've signed God knows how many central midfielders in the last few seasons, but I can only think of one wide player joining us (on loan) - van la Parra - who got about two minutes on the pitch and was never seen of again. I cannot comprehend how the powers that be can have allowed us to end up with 60 per cent of a squad and absolutely no width whatsoever.

Rant over. Sorry if I've made you all feel worse reading this, but I feel a bit better for having written it!

• Like 9
43 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

It's all cyclical. In the 90s and early noughties everything was going well. But many clubs have spells like that. Everyone was drooling over Leeds this year. Look where they have been. Stoke seem to have wasted their parachute payments and are now adding geriatric frees to their already bloated squad. Where are Sunderland. You can reel off clubs that are worse run than us. Because it matters to us fans though sometimes it feels that Boro are the worst run club in the world, and that just is not true. As you have said, the decisions of the club will either excite or disappoint us. Currently they are disappointing most. You say its not for us to decide what players we bring in but when we don't bring in linked people it's all doom and gloom. 

I am as disappointed as anyone at certain aspects of the club but unfortunately you can't sack underperforming players to reduce redundancies in the back office. I am confident that we will bring in the required players and that we will have a much better season than last. It is going to be a slow rebuild and I can accept that. 

Sorry but this can’t be put down to the cyclical nature of football, it’s down right bad decisions that have put us in the mess we are in. I feel a lot of the older supporters still think it wasn’t long ago we were a regular premiership club when it’s been nigh on 12 years. We are a regular championship club who had 1 year in the big league and quickly went back to our pre Karanka way of life. 

This is clearly our level of operating in this era of football with gibson in charge. It’s no coincidence that since apparently taking more control going from Southgate to strachan onto mowbray we sunk to these levels. We forged some kind of links with mendes and got Kenyon in then magically get promoted. All of that goes and we are back to gibson and bowser and in an almost identical position to mowbrays last season. No money, poor squad and pretty much nothing to get excited about.

Its not cyclical it’s an ingrained problem that has been lurking under the surface for a decade.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

Not going to disagree with the rest of the post, but Wolves cheated financially and have been charged by UEFA for it.

Leeds were in real financial danger if they didn't win promotion this season, because of overspending.

Forest have spent a bomb.

Burnley were only outspent by ourselves and 1 other team during the promotion season.

Brentford spend plenty, they just sell for even more.

Leeds, forest and Brentford have all spent roughly £30-35m over the past 3 seasons. We have spent over £60m in the same period. Only Burnley have spent more but obviously are a league higher (£80m)

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

For context, I am not a football person. I work in the media, can barely do two keepy-ups, and my three year old nutmegged me the other day. 

£15k per week, 3 year deal?  How does that sound?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
1 minute ago, LinoJo3 said:

Leeds, forest and Brentford have all spent roughly £30-35m over the past 3 seasons. We have spent over £60m in the same period. Only Burnley have spent more but obviously are a league higher (£80m)

Yeah but how much money have we made in sales? It's like the year we spent £50 million under Monk we didn't really as we got the money back in sales. Hence we made a profit actually. The only issue has been the wages but this summer the high earners have left. Can only be Britt who is on 30k + now

6 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Sorry but this can’t be put down to the cyclical nature of football, it’s down right bad decisions that have put us in the mess we are in. I feel a lot of the older supporters still think it wasn’t long ago we were a regular premiership club when it’s been nigh on 12 years. We are a regular championship club who had 1 year in the big league and quickly went back to our pre Karanka way of life. 

This is clearly our level of operating in this era of football with gibson in charge. It’s no coincidence that since apparently taking more control going from Southgate to strachan onto mowbray we sunk to these levels. We forged some kind of links with mendes and got Kenyon in then magically get promoted. All of that goes and we are back to gibson and bowser and in an almost identical position to mowbrays last season. No money, poor squad and pretty much nothing to get excited about.

Its not cyclical it’s an ingrained problem that has been lurking under the surface for a decade.

I hear where you're coming from but I see it differently. Kenyon was involved with Aitors days and there were good times, but don't forget the signings of Barragan, Gestede, Fisher, DeRoon Valdes etc, all players who really did not perform to the levels expected and saw us relegated. Yes the decisions following relegation  were poor but Kenyon and Mendes were no longstanding golden ticket for us. They got as much wrong. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Considering Leeds have spent £25m on Bamford and Costa alone, I'm doubting that.

But regardless we'd spent more in that 1 Monk window because we had parachute payments to cover the costs.

2 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Yeah but how much money have we made in sales? It's like the year we spent £50 million under Monk we didn't really as we got the money back in sales. Hence we made a profit actually. The only issue has been the wages but this summer the high earners have left. Can only be Britt who is on 30k + now

I don’t care how much we made back, the end goal still resulted in us blowing it all on players that just haven’t came close to justifying any of the outlay. THAT imo is what counts at the end of the day. If I sell a perfectly good house for £200k and buy a subsiding house with a knackered roof for £150k I’ve made a profit but a bad decision has put me in a worse position.

2 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

I hear where you're coming from but I see it differently. Kenyon was involved with Aitors days and there were good times, but don't forget the signings of Barragan, Gestede, Fisher, DeRoon Valdes etc, all players who really did not perform to the levels expected and saw us relegated. Yes the decisions following relegation  were poor but Kenyon and Mendes were no longstanding golden ticket for us. They got as much wrong. 

We as a club still sanctioned those deals, it was gill who took the credit for Fischer and de roon, I’m sure the gazette interviews are still up somewhere. Valdez was clearly a Karanka signing as was negredo but that season those 2 were the least of our problems. Our problems were once again failing to address the poor quality/lack of forwards in the team. Barragan to me looked like a weird buy one get one free as part of the negredo deal as we had spent weeks being rejected by right backs (Mandi and another one as far as I remember) previously.

5 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Considering Leeds have spent £25m on Bamford and Costa alone, I'm doubting that.

But regardless we'd spent more in that 1 Monk window because we had parachute payments to cover the costs.

Costa was a loan with an obligation to buy, bamford cost them up to £9m if they got promoted.

Bamford was Leeds biggest signing that summer, he was signed to do a job and his goals helped them get promoted. We had the same player here who consistently got goals for us at center forward yet we decided we needed to spend £30m on additional Center forwards despite already having bamford here.

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)