oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

8 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

But it's a simple fact that we did many deals prior to the last 3-4 years, what's changed?

We were throwing money around like absolute madmen even during the last few years, now we're not our terrible negotiating is really being highlighted.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

If you’re a footballer why on earth would you move to Boro to play under Pulis, Woodgate or Warnock? Pulis and Warnock aren’t attractive managers to the majority of players and Woodgate was untested. But again, would the excitement of playing for Woodgate be enough to turn your head? I doubt it. 

Karanka brought good players in due to his connections and stature in the game whilst also being helped by Kenyon and Mendes and Mourinho. We could also offer them higher wages / agent fees. Those days are gone now with our cost cutting and reluctance to haggle with Agents. As a result,  we are struggling to get deals over the line. 

Warnock hardly struggled last year for Cardiff or pretty much at any club he's been at in the last 10 years, plus we may not have enjoyed Pulis' brand of football but lots of footballers have bought into it over the years.

Edited by SzilardNemethsCurtains
28 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

I see Jordan Jones isn't in Rangers squad this afternoon. Wonder if there is anything in that for us? 

Didn’t someone who knows a member of his family say that Boro are steering well clear of him? It was yesterday or the day before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

I see Jordan Jones isn't in Rangers squad this afternoon. Wonder if there is anything in that for us? 

Yeah he’s currently at Rockliffe playing golf and is scheduled to meet Steve Gibson in the restaurant tonight before signing for QPR tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Why do all the fans put the blame at Neil B door without knowing all the facts? I am not 100% defending him as I am sure mistakes have been made along the way. 

However, for me. I was born in Boro and if i was a player right now and on a free and had other options I'd go elsewhere. Why? The pure negativity around the place. 

Why would we expect others to come here? This to me is the problem we need to solve. 

• Like 2

Really can’t blame people or shoot them down for being irritated with not being linked with any exciting targets. At the end of the day no fan gets excited preseason about mid table finishing when the team looks comfortable to stay up but too far off playoffs which imo our team looks to be just that currently.

Yes I think we have a half decent team but can’t help feeling with them few new additions, we could start shifting the chance of a 10-15th finish to a 3rd-8th finish. 
Still plenty of time left so we all continue to have different amounts of optimums for the remaining time left in the window. 

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Derby are also under investigation with regards to their recent investment. I think it’s that the company who’s invested also invested in Sunderland last season and you’re not allowed to have stakes in 2 clubs. So there’ll be more to come for them after the initial one

That would only matter if they had a stake in the club though.  You can still loan two clubs money.  From what I could see, the Derby one was a straight up loan against property/land.

Edited by Changing Times
10 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

That would only matter if they had a stake in the club though.  You can still loan two clubs money.  From what I could see, the Derby one was a straight up loan against property/land.

Looks like it has to be a bank issuing the loan and that’s the issue

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-efl-mel-morris-4442288.amp

13 minutes ago, xathras said:

Why do all the fans put the blame at Neil B door without knowing all the facts? I am not 100% defending him as I am sure mistakes have been made along the way. 

However, for me. I was born in Boro and if i was a player right now and on a free and had other options I'd go elsewhere. Why? The pure negativity around the place. 

Why would we expect others to come here? This to me is the problem we need to solve. 

Mainly because getting deals over the line is his specific job. No one has suggested it is easy, but his record is dire. We have consistently overpaid and lost out to other teams of a similar level. I don’t think Gibson’s previous railing against agents is helping us either. This summer is highlighting that the problems in the club run far deeper than the manager!

Also - Why are we not going for players from Europe? We have 3 non-U.K. players in the squad at the moment. Got to be the lowest since pre-robson era. Another Gibson policy it seems

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

Would anyone else be happy to have younger players plug the gaps for a season?
The way I see it is, we are not going to go up. Added onto this we seem to be not attracting players to come to us.

I’d much rather give youth players a chance to shine, rather than bring in a short term gap for the season. If we sign Bamba then surely we’re just shooting ourselves in the foot by not letting the youngsters have a go? 

Whilst I don’t think the club would do this, especially with Warnock who wants tried and tested players, it does make me question if we’re going down the right avenue. I’m not saying to just play young players without a good blend, but I’d rather give a youngster a chance over an ageing player like Bamba. 

Who knows, they could even hold their own like Spence, Coulson and Pears. If we avoid relegation, surely the players will be better for it in the next 2 years? Rather than neglecting them a chance to have a go. 

My knowledge on the U23s is limited, so I have no idea how close people are to first team football. But it seems like a shame to not utilise the academy whilst we actively opt to get in short term players. 

Yeah, that's exactly what we should be doing.  You use your financial resources to sign first team starters only rather than wasting lots of resources on 'squad players'.  And then you use the best youngsters to bulk up the squad.  The younger players did ok for us last season and will again if given the opportunities to play.  If your actual transfer policy is sound then you won't be throwing lots of youngsters into the side at the same time anyway.  When that happens it's either because of a significant injury crisis, which tends to be rare, or because you've been doing poor work in the transfer market, which is less rare unfortunately.  Most managers won't do it by choice because they *** themselves at the thought of having to play youngsters a lot of the time.  Better to stick with the tried and tested, even if they are tried and tested at being decidedly average or worse. 

Personally, I'd go further than that.  No senior player would ever get a longer deal than say 3 years at most and they'd have to be pretty bloody good to get that.  Younger players could have longer deals though if they are deemed to be good prospects.  No manager and staff get more than 2 years and tbh I'd leave it at one year.  Managers have to act based on an agreed philosophy in terms of style of play, giving younger players opportunities and things like that.  Mould the club into the shape you want it to be, although I know that not everyone wants the same things of course.  Those are just my own preferences.  And now I'm rambling so I'm shutting up cos I'm nice now.  Have a smiley face 🙂

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Interesting.  Must be in an effort to try and stop money laundering I guess otherwise it really shouldn't make a difference where the loan comes from.  A stake in a business is a different thing entirely.

12 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah, that's exactly what we should be doing.  You use your financial resources to sign first team starters only rather than wasting lots of resources on 'squad players'.  And then you use the best youngsters to bulk up the squad.  The younger players did ok for us last season and will again if given the opportunities to play.  If your actual transfer policy is sound then you won't be throwing lots of youngsters into the side at the same time anyway.  When that happens it's either because of a significant injury crisis, which tends to be rare, or because you've been doing poor work in the transfer market, which is less rare unfortunately.  Most managers won't do it by choice because they *** themselves at the thought of having to play youngsters a lot of the time.  Better to stick with the tried and tested, even if they are tried and tested at being decidedly average or worse. 

Personally, I'd go further than that.  No senior player would ever get a longer deal than say 3 years at most and they'd have to be pretty bloody good to get that.  Younger players could have longer deals though if they are deemed to be good prospects.  No manager and staff get more than 2 years and tbh I'd leave it at one year.  Managers have to act based on an agreed philosophy in terms of style of play, giving younger players opportunities and things like that.  Mould the club into the shape you want it to be, although I know that not everyone wants the same things of course.  Those are just my own preferences.  And now I'm rambling so I'm shutting up cos I'm nice now.  Have a smiley face 🙂

I got all the way to the end waiting for the sarcastic comment 🤣

I also think as well fans would be more supportive of a younger boro team who are stepping up to the plate. 

But it is a fine balance to still keep us competitive whilst allowing the players to grow and develop. For all of Warnocks ability to get out of the championship, I’m not sure if he’s done it with youth players before. 

Again, it’s short term from the club. If they had got a manager in with a proven track record of nurturing youth players into a senior team of experienced players it would suit our philosophy of the golden thread, utilising the academy and easing the financial burdens.

Again, it would appear the club have opted for short term stop gaps rather than thinking long term. It annoys me. 

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)