oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

I don't think we've been linked with a single player that indicates high aspirations.

Even if we'd signed every player we'd tried for, they'd all be fairly low on a list of ideal signings.

We're currently spending nothing, bringing in next to nobody, and have a threadbare squad. It's a major worry, I don't think we're at any real risk of going down but it just means that next summer will be even more difficult if the club don't pull their finger out.

I think we are at real risk of going down. We were close last season and our squad is threadbare. We have a more experienced manager but theres only so much he can do.

• Sad 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

I think the ship has sailed on the apathy thing.. with the one two punch of pulis and woodgate I think interest in the club has got to be at an all time low. Im following this transfer window but despite how horribly its going, I'm not getting angry or upset because its just par for the course now. 

I’m not so sure it’s at an all time low although it’s definitely the lowest it’s been in a long time. But it could still get far worse and there’s always fans to maintain and fans to win back - I think now is a critical time to act on that impulse.  

That doesn't even look clearly like Stewart? I'm not sure it is.

Still, yes, if it is and if we lose out to Wycombe in terms of trying to get a player, well either we didn't want him that much or we're bloody awful at negotiations. Going by recent form and rumours from this summer, it's hard to argue with it being the latter.

3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I think we are at real risk of going down. We were close last season and our squad is threadbare. We have a more experienced manager but theres only so much he can do.

If Warnock had been in charge last season, we'd never have been at risk, I don't think.

It took a dire run of results to drag us back in to the danger zone, failing to beat Wigan, Luton or Barnsley in quick succession and not winning anywhere in 12 games, and even then we ended up 5(4) points clear of the drop with Warnock at the helm.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, SmogMonster7 said:

Kevin Stewart played for Wycombe as 'A Trialist' recently I believe?

Pretty sure that’s not Stewart.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I don't think we've been linked with a single player that indicates high aspirations.

Even if we'd signed every player we'd tried for, they'd all be fairly low on a list of ideal signings.

We're currently spending nothing, bringing in next to nobody, and have a threadbare squad. It's a major worry, I don't think we're at any real risk of going down but it just means that next summer will be even more difficult if the club don't pull their finger out. Warnock will leave, more players are out of contract and we'll be weaker than we are now.

I don’t think we have either (with the possible exception of Gibson and Roberts). However, improving the squad is surely indicative of a desire to build upon last season. As it stands, it appears we’re just attempting to avoid relegation again.

Of course, there’s still a lot of time for that to change. I remain primarily depressed about it but deep down hopeful that it’ll improve. UTB

16 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

Now, I’m no business man and I’m no fan of the cliche about ‘showing ambition’. But, from a business perspective, surely now is the right time for Gibson to make sure we do some decent business in the transfer market. 

Without access to seeing games in person, it’s a perfect opportunity for people to lose interest in the club and take their time/money/emotional investment elsewhere. If this ends up being a distinctly underwhelming transfer window (as it currently has been) then the chances of apathy creeping in for supporters will only increase further. On the flip side, making some good signings could help keep supporters engaged with the club whilst it’s impossible to attend games. Not only would it initially send out the message that our aspirations are higher than they were last season (ie avoid relegation), assuming it translates to a higher league performance it should also increase engagement throughout the course of the season. 

Maybe there is recognition of this fact among the MFC hierarchy, I’m not too sure. Given the unique circumstances, I think it’s especially vital that the club avoid what happened last summer under Woodgate and the Pulis summer regarding wingers.

Yeah the club should be making signings so people get excited enough to buy them £10 match passes. As selling these £10 match passes is what is going to keep the club financial stable. As thinking if we manage to sell like 10'000+ a game the club will be alright. As is 3 games a week that's £300'000 plus in revenue a week that should be enough to cover the wage Bill and for new signings. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I think the ship has sailed on the apathy thing.. with the one two punch of pulis and woodgate I think interest in the club has got to be at an all time low. Im following this transfer window but despite how horribly its going, I'm not getting angry or upset because its just par for the course now. 

Pretty much sums my view on it all at the moment 

• Like 1

If Stewart is at Wycombe I can't honestly see us having any interest in him now. Maybe he wanted too much time and we have moved on. Most of the signings we have made in the last couple of years, with respect to the ITK's have been out of the blue. Boro in stealth mode. 

4 hours ago, FamilyBoro said:

Let's keep perspective here....

Sanogo - We already struggle to get strikers to play to the best of their ability, I'm not sure how much faith I have in resurrecting ones's career especially with such a short pre-season.  Majority of people were only 'ok' with this signing as long as it was 3rd choice. I can't see him wanting to come here and be that role especially now other teams are coming in for him who are London based and/or offering him a key role. Feels like agent drum up business to me. 

Shankland - Has only ever been a rumour from 1 fan on the Dundee side. We can't hammer the club for something that may or may not be even true. 

Stewart - This one worries me more. It looks likes he might not have been our 1st choice so if we miss out on him how far down that list will we go remains to be seen. He is obviously wanting to way up all his options which tbf there is no harm in that. Now that it looks like Swansea aren't in for him you would think we have a clear run. I'd expect us to either hear something today that he is with us or another club is in for him. It just feels like his heart isn't in coming to Boro or it would have been complete already. 

Gibson - This was always going to take time while Burney explore the chance of getting as much money for him as possible through selling. This is just playing out and I'm sure the only route out for all parties will be for him to come here..... eventually  

You’re missing the point though, there’s another list similar if not longer of players we’ve lost to other clubs. That’s the worry, looks like you can add sanogo and Stewart to that. If those 2 are where we are on the list then god knows who’s names gonna pop up next.

25 minutes ago, SmogMonster7 said:

Kevin Stewart played for Wycombe as 'A Trialist' recently I believe?

Could be training with them and getting match fitness 

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

Does anyone think Warnock has come in to just basically fulfill Woodgate's remit.... balance the books and avoid relegation? 

It would seem like a pretty unattractive job but if Warnock is getting a good wage for 15 months then maybe he's happy with not challenging for promotion? 

Just a thought. 

No, we’ve had multiple players come here, are trying to spend a fortune on Ben gibson and our current squad isn’t as bad as people make out, should easily manage mid table. Yes we aren’t destined for the play offs but we’ve seen plenty of times that with a few shrewed signings and good manager, unlikely teams can come from nowhere and push for/achieve promotion. Warnock did exactly that at Cardiff who were in a similar position to us now when he took over.

I wasn’t expecting much this season but at the very least I thought we’d get 2 or 3 solid signings in to start rebuilding for the next guy who takes over.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)