oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

14 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

Wonder if were interested............

Wouldn't be surprised if we poked our noses in last minute if we hadn't before. NW is looking for a GK and Neil is a player that he knows well, so would be immediately comfortable with. 

Wonder how much he's going for? Didn't Cardiff turn down something like 8m a summer or two ago? Wonder if they regret not selling now.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Will said:

Yes, so 66.6% less than someone else 😉

If we are really pedantic with your example we were paying 50% less than the other club. But didn't Gaston forefit a third himself? So technically we were paying the same as the other club.

• Like 2

I would love to hear an example of an 'exciting' signing we have made in the last 5-10 years who we didnt pay big money for or offer big wages to attract, I will admit I am wrong if there are examples but it seems pretty clear that the only way we have even been successful in our recent history is through paying above our means.

That is not to say we cant change tact and attract less well known players or find young players and make them better and into exciting players but these rafts of fans looking through players stats or judging on the names are going to be very disappointed

6 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I would love to hear an example of an 'exciting' signing we have made in the last 5-10 years who we didnt pay big money for or offer big wages to attract, I will admit I am wrong if there are examples but it seems pretty clear that the only way we have even been successful in our recent history is through paying above our means.

That is not to say we cant change tact and attract less well known players or find young players and make them better and into exciting players but these rafts of fans looking through players stats or judging on the names are going to be very disappointed

Vossen is the one that springs to mind for me. But beyond that, there arent too many.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Ramirez. £20k a week isn't high wages in this league, nor was it then. He wasn't even close to our highest paid player.

Before that, Adomah. Just off the top of my head.

we got Ramirez because Southampton were desperate him out of the club and we should have realised that he was a time-bomb waiting to go off when he couldn't even manage thirty appearances over four seasons there...yes, he probably provided the spark to get us promoted...but he was also a huge factor in our relegation after spitting the dummy out ....all he had to do was finish the season for us and he couldn't even be bothered to do that....I know I am very much in the minority, but I would rather we never signed him after the effects he has had....people only remember his good games and conveniently forget the days he went through the motions

• Like 1
Just now, Neverbefore said:

Vossen is the one that springs to mind for me. But beyond that, there arent too many.

Even he wasnt cheap though

If anything it highlights what a good number of fans on here say about the club and recruitment getting it wrong for years, the plan needs to be overhauled completely. It would be interesting to see our correlation between success and money spent because for me we havent been intelligent in the transfer market ever really, we have just outspent our rivals

26 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

This isn't true and sounds like a post deadline day Gazette article's opening paragraph 

It is true though. When it comes to the in demand players we cant compete anymore, even when we were a big deal in this league we had to pay more to convince players to come here over other clubs.

Now we dont have promotion aspirations we would have to pay even more to win players over but we dont have the capacity.

But on the other hand we have missed out on at least one player this summer due to the club playing hardball over paultry sums.

So we have the worst of both worlds a market that we increasingly struggle in, and a poor set up that cant get what few deals do we get across the lines.

It actually mirrors our attacking as a team

8 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

merouane-zemmama-middlesbrough-picture-i

I don't really have expectations or want us to raid the Prem for players I prefer when we go for the best we can get at a reasonable price Browne cpould be a good example of that but we'll see.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Will said:

Ramirez. £20k a week isn't high wages in this league, nor was it then. He wasn't even close to our highest paid player.

Before that, Adomah. Just off the top of my head.

I'd agree with Gaston to a degree, we did actually get a good deal there but its not one many in the league could do now.

Adomah isnt a bad shout actually, probably the last one

"Exciting" Players by their very name tend to be expensive, there aren't many bargain basement or cheap exciting signings at any level. Granted there are always the odd gems that get unearthed that evolve into exciting finds but its like panning for gold.

Messi to Man City is exciting and will cost an obscene amount of money that would likely keep League One and Two afloat for a season.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Jamie-H said:

merouane-zemmama-middlesbrough-picture-i

I don't really have expectations or want us to raid the Prem for players I prefer when we go for the best we can get at a reasonable price Browne cpould be a good example of that but we'll see.

Zemmama and Ledesma were decent for periods, same with Fabrini. Maybe those are the types of players we need to take risks on

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Redcar Rioja said:

"Exciting" Players by their very name tend to be expensive, there aren't many bargain basement or cheap exciting signings at any level. Granted there are always the odd gems that get unearthed that evolve into exciting finds but its like panning for gold.

Messi to Man City is exciting and will cost an obscene amount of money that would likely keep League One and Two afloat for a season.

Unfortunately we are at the panning for gold stage now

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)