oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

6 hours ago, sambaDTR said:

So reading the last few pages, who will be the better Manager next year, Karanka or Warnock?

I think Warnock is the better manager and will have the better season, not just through my rose tinted Boro specs either. But Karanaka has something that gets players and fans excited and he brings a real feel good factor wherever he goes. Call it charisma or dreams of something big, but wherever he has gone, the fans have fully got on board and committed to his vision. So much so, rejected Boro players like Friend and Clayton are seen as brilliant signings and just what’s needed 😄

Birmingham played Spurs in a friendly last week (another AK perk) and by all account Friend meant to have performed decent. They wanted leaders and more experience in the back and that's what they are getting but fitness will be his biggest downfall. 

Clayton himself seems rejuvenated with getting a move and fresh surroundings, I can see him having a very decent 1-2 seasons under AK guidance. 

I think at the minute any team they come up against with pace will be worse for them but they are likely going to be tough to breakdown and defeat next season. 

15 minutes ago, FamilyBoro said:

Birmingham played Spurs in a friendly last week (another AK perk) and by all account Friend meant to have performed decent. They wanted leaders and more experience in the back and that's what they are getting but fitness will be his biggest downfall. 

Clayton himself seems rejuvenated with getting a move and fresh surroundings, I can see him having a very decent 1-2 seasons under AK guidance. 

I think at the minute any team they come up against with pace will be worse for them but they are likely going to be tough to breakdown and defeat next season. 

Oh come on Birmingham were almost as bad as us last year and very neaarly went down, AK will do wonders for them if he is given time and money, but Friend is awful and has been for a few years, if he plays a big part this year they will struggle.  Clayton is on the decline also will need a leadbitter MK2 next to him and im pritty sure they dont have one just yet.  We would have been gutted if these two were starters for us this season.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

Oh come on Birmingham were almost as bad as us last year and very neaarly went down, AK will do wonders for them if he is given time and money, but Friend is awful and has been for a few years, if he plays a big part this year they will struggle.  Clayton is on the decline also will need a leadbitter MK2 next to him and im pritty sure they dont have one just yet.  We would have been gutted if these two were starters for us this season.

I disagree a little bit... I think Friend yes but I think if it was the other way and Clayton was coming here we would be optimistic there is still a player of his AK days to give us some strength in midfield going back to playing under a previous manager he was recently successful with. 

I agree completely that we wouldn't have been happy if they had stayed and were part of our starting line-up next season under what we have already, but that's more because of the better players we have for them positions and manager etc. 

I still think Birmingham will have more defensive stance next season and be tougher to breakdown which was the point I was making with them signings and that Friend had (surprisingly) done recently ok in a friendly for them.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, sambaDTR said:

So reading the last few pages, who will be the better Manager next year, Karanka or Warnock?

I think you mean which club will have the better season (or possibly who will have the better squad)?

Warnock is the better manager simply through his greater experience and having overseen more promotions than Karanka. Thats not to say I don't think Aitor can become a better manager and enjoy more success like he had with us.

Back to the question, I think its a tough one to call. Based on the evidence of last season, we could be very inconsistent...good one game and poor the next (especially if the Riverside Curse is still in effect). Depending on how good of a squad Birmingham have, I'd expect them to be more consistent, winning & losing by smaller margins.

Overall, I wouldn't be surprised if Brum and Boro finished within a few points of each other in mid table.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I think you mean which club will have the better season (or possibly who will have the better squad)?

Warnock is the better manager simply through his greater experience and having overseen more promotions than Karanka. Thats not to say I don't think Aitor can become a better manager and enjoy more success like he had with us.

Back to the question, I think its a tough one to call. Based on the evidence of last season, we could be very inconsistent...good one game and poor the next (especially if the Riverside Curse is still in effect). Depending on how good of a squad Birmingham have, I'd expect them to be more consistent, winning & losing by smaller margins.

Overall, I wouldn't be surprised if Brum and Boro finished within a few points of each other in mid table.

Yeah it's a tough one to call. In the end I reckon both teams will finish more or less on equal terms. I think we will experience more wins and losses while Birmingham will get more draws. AK needs to spend time with the Birmingham squad and being a cautious manager he is going to try and keep in tight. Lots of sideways passing as we had and not going for the jugular. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Jamie-H said:

I think there's a combination of things that are at work, proven in Warnock's 4 wins out of 8 last season, that combined with 4-5 new signings will make us a top 6 side.

1) Our last manager was Teesside Football League level he devalued so many players by getting the worst out of them

2) Our youngsters are at the age where they should be developing into the first team quality we'd expect from their potential (Tav)

3) We have players throughout our squad from Howson/McNair/Saville/Fletcher/Wing that have either showed capabilities of getting top Championship level returns from like Fletcher + Wing or in the others case have underperformed for years with us not bringing out the levels they've proved at other clubs.

4) Britt. This league has showed many times over the years if a striker can produce over 20 goals in a decent team that's an edge that can lift a whole team up a division, Britt was bought on this premise and while he's returned decent figures if he can have an extra gear this year and stay fit he could be a difference maker.

Add 4-5 signings for what Warnock wants, adding a bit of depth and competition, tighten up our defence and add an extra 20 goals I don't see why we couldn't be up there maybe right up there. Watford are banking on a washed up Andre Gray and an aged Glenn Murray our strikeforce has better recent form than them we aren't far away.

I have a good feeling too.
Warnock brings something good and his man management will get the best out of a lot of our players. Britt, Tav and Dijksteel to name a few .. 

I also think that Hall is a great signing - His heading is really good and his way to lead will be really good for our defense .. well our whole team, actually .. 

The window is still open and more might come in, and I am actually glad that we are not signing journey-men and others just for the sake of it .. I have faith, that the players we will sign, if any, will bring something good to the team with thougths behind signing them.

As you say, some of our "kids" will have their breakthrough this season, like Spence and Coulson had last season .. 
Stubbs, Folarin and maybe 2-3 others will get game time .. hence our small (but functioning) squad.

I look forward to this season  - Better have a tight squad that plays as a team, than a large group of "egos" playing for their own next career move .. 

Gestede and Ayala I won't miss - And Clayton and Friend aren't that good anymore, but I will miss their personalities .. But this is about football, not sentimental stuff, so It's good that they are not here and I am happy for them to get a season with Karanka again (and minus 15 points) 😛

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Weasel said:

Wish we'd spend less time chasing goalkeepers and actually prioritising the positions we need.

That's the Boro speciality. Stockpiling players in positions we dont need. 

7 minutes ago, Weasel said:

Wish we'd spend less time chasing goalkeepers and actually prioritising the positions we need.

I don't think highly of our recruitment team but it's actually possible to negotiate with several clubs/players at the same time.

2 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

That's the Boro speciality. Stockpiling players in positions we dont need. 

except warnock the man who knows his onions dont like stoj. clearly remember that cardiff goal from the angle. he was fuming that went in. if he doesnt rate him then maybe we should be listening to him and accepting we really do need a new keeper. 

38 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

except warnock the man who knows his onions dont like stoj. clearly remember that cardiff goal from the angle. he was fuming that went in. if he doesnt rate him then maybe we should be listening to him and accepting we really do need a new keeper. 

I don't think it's taken Ian Bennett long to suss out that none of our keepers are up to it. I think we'll end up getting the lad from Charlton, and two from Mejias, Sojanovic and Pears will leave with Sol Brynn promoted to 3rd choice.

Edited by uncle_rico
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, uncle_rico said:

I don't think it's taken Ian Bennett long to suss out that none of our keepers are up to it. I think we'll end up getting the lad from Charlton, and two from Mejias, Sojanovic and Pears will leave with Sol Brynn promotoed to 3rd choice.

I fancy us to go in for the Cardiff lad Ethridge, and to be fair our keepers arnt really that great prefer to keep pears and brynn. 

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)