oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Just now, Brunners said:

That's what happens when you throw money around freely for so long...you condition fans to expect that.

And you say there doesn't need to be the constant negativity, but what exactly are people meant to post positively about in the last few years? People will post positive stuff when positive stuff happens - the Newcastle friendly is evidence of that, but the vast majority of the past few seasons has been overwhelmingly negative.

What, exactly, do you think fans should be posting about, if it's not negative?

Well maybe its about fans are conditioned to expect that the man who had thrown his own money at the club for years is well within his rights to run the club however he likes and can make all the mistakes he likes.

Previous genorosity is not a good enough reason to just expect it to continue, thats pretty much the definition of entitlement and thats exactly what a large chunk of our fans are entitled 

• Like 2
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Well maybe its about fans are conditioned to expect that the man who had thrown his own money at the club for years is well within his rights to run the club however he likes and can make all the mistakes he likes.

Previous genorosity is not a good enough reason to just expect it to continue, thats pretty much the definition of entitlement and thats exactly what a large chunk of our fans are entitled 

So people should just be totally okay with the club being run like *** because he used to run the club better?

• Like 2
Just now, Brunners said:

So people should just be totally okay with the club being run like *** because he used to run the club better?

Moaning about it achieves *** all though, at least he is a fan who tried to something proactive with the club.

Should Gibson just be totally okay with our fanbase dwindling for years as he continues to pump money into the club? its ironic that we hold the chairman to such high standards that we dont meet ourselves

• Like 2
1 minute ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Moaning about it achieves *** all though, at least he is a fan who tried to something proactive with the club.

Should Gibson just be totally okay with our fanbase dwindling for years as he continues to pump money into the club? its ironic that we hold the chairman to such high standards that we dont meet ourselves

Okay, so again, I repeat. If we can't be negative, what should we be posting about mate? Because if you remove all the negative posts this place would be a graveyard. 

If we start playing well, the positive posts will start flowing again. Sure, there's always some muppets throwing season tickets at managers when you're comfortably in the premier league. There's always gonna be dissenters, but the sheer volume of them is entirely down to the club being an absolute shambles from top to bottom right now and until we have any evidence that things are changing, or at least until performances on the pitch give some optimism, I don't understand why you're surprised people are negative. 

Being positive achieves *** all too, honestly, so why bother with that either? 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Strange - you never hear the phrase” mere custodians of the club” ever uttered these days. It was the mantra years ago. 

Something else consigned to the history books.

Thats because football clubs are seen as mere commodities these days (probably since the creation of the Premier League). They are businesses to make profits from, or vanity projects for billionaire owners, to be traded away once they're bored or the silverware stops rolling in.

Once they started building hotels and conference facilities into stadiums, you just knew it wasn't really about the football any more. ☹️

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Pretending things are good when they're not doesn't achieve anything either.

Forums are there to discuss and vent frustrations.

• Like 4
Just now, Brunners said:

Okay, so again, I repeat. If we can't be negative, what should we be posting about mate? Because if you remove all the negative posts this place would be a graveyard. 

If we start playing well, the positive posts will start flowing again. Sure, there's always some muppets throwing season tickets at managers when you're comfortably in the premier league. There's always gonna be dissenters, but the sheer volume of them is entirely down to the club being an absolute shambles from top to bottom right now and until we have any evidence that things are changing, or at least until performances on the pitch give some optimism, I don't understand why you're surprised people are negative. 

Being positive achieves *** all too, honestly, so why bother with that either? 

Have I said remove all the negative posts? no but you cant deny we are an inherently negative fanbase which was the initial point

5 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

That's all Gibsons doing though with his poor decisions over last few years that has taken us severely backwards. If you want the plaudits when you are doing it right you have to expect the negatives when you are doing nothing but wrong things. The way the club has been run the last 3,5 years doesn't deserve any praise.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Have I said remove all the negative posts? no but you cant deny we are an inherently negative fanbase which was the initial point

Okay now we're going round in circles.

Surely you understand why we're an inherently negative fanbase? The past 3-5 seasons have given us no reason to be anything else.

Just now, Brunners said:

Okay now we're going round in circles.

Surely you understand why we're an inherently negative fanbase? The past 3-5 seasons have given us no reason to be anything else.

I understand the negativity but I think it goes beyond that, the entitlement which drives a lot of the disappointment and negativity needs to be highlighted. Yes the club has made mistakes but equally maybe we just cant compete at the same level any more?

• Like 1
Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I understand the negativity but I think it goes beyond that, the entitlement which drives a lot of the disappointment and negativity needs to be highlighted. Yes the club has made mistakes but equally maybe we just cant compete at the same level any more?

Is it entitlement to want to be a competently run club? If so, call me entitled mate. I'm sick to death of jokers like Gill & Bausor holding jobs that they don't deserve for as long as they have, presumably because they're mates of SG. 

I'm not asking for anything major, just to have a coherent plan and appoint some people with the relevant knowledge, skills & experience to help implement it, rather than this short termism we have at the minute where we flip flop between ideals.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Fan loyalty is generally earned through the club having a clear business and footballing strategy...preferably one that produces results and either brings success, or at least some measure of stability. Something the fans can point to and say, "I see what they're doing there. It makes some sort of sense...even if I don't necessarily agree with it".

For the last decade or so there has been very little evidence (that I've seen) that anyone at the club has had any sort of plan...either in a footballing or business sense.

As others have said, its been a succession of polar opposite managerial appointments, alternately splurging cash, or cutting costs. Karanka was the closest we came to achieving any kind of stability and footballing identity, with some measure of success.

In an area of the country where most fans are already having to think carefully about how they spend their money, why would they feel any loyalty to a club that seems to have no idea what it wants to do? Especially when the last big idea was to appoint Woodgate... Seriously, the Covid pandemic was probably a blessing in disguise for him.

• Like 4
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)