oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, BoroBoy1989 said:

This is partly true, we haven’t always played to his strengths. 

However, he’s missed a fair share of good chances playing for us. If you want to ignore that, fair enough. 

Also, he has a tendency to try and always beat his man when he doesn’t really have the ability to do so, instead of playing it simple and retaining possession. 

Ive been encouraged by the way he’s played since Warnock came in (not just his goals) and I hope he continues that form this season 

I think it's a little exacerbated by the fact that if you miss your one chance in a game, that's going to stand out to if you missed 2 of 3 or 2 of 4, if that makes sense?

We don't give him enough chances so his misses stand out more. Same with Fletcher.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Brunners said:

? Mowatt is probably the worst of the 3!

Its alittle harsh to say he's the worst out of the 3, i think his chances created and assissts stats are pretty decent but I'd say out of the 3 hes the 1 we need the least

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I think it's ludicrous to criticise Britt about his time here to be honest.

Not once have we played to his strengths - for the last 4 years we have consistently reverted to hit-and-hope hoofball regardless of the manager we've had (even saw it against Shrewsbury, to my IMMENSE frustration) and it just isn't his game.

My abiding memory of watching Britt Assombalonga play for Middlesbrough is watching our defence by-pass the midfield, ping a long ball towards him, and seeing the taller centre back win the header and turnover possession.

The man has been done an absolute disservice.

A massive disservice 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 he’s on 40k a week.

So it’s ludicrous to have an opinion on a 16 million pound player that’s on 40k a week. Someone that’s been brought in to score goals but hasn’t got over 20 a season since he’s arrived and also never scored over 20 in the championship. And don’t say he doesn’t get chances. There was a video on Twitter half way through last season were he missed a shed load of sitters. A lot of the time he can’t control a 6 yard pass never mind a long punt. That is the problem I have with him. I agree we don’t help at times but he doesn’t either.  

Britt looked his best under Monk. Was scoring and playing well with another striker up front with him. Pulis came in and criticised him constantly, dropped him, tough love that didn’t seem to work. Woodgate tried to reverse that by bigging up “my number 9” but again didn’t play to his strengths, dropped him and was generally the worst manager and coach we’ve had in 30 years. 
I’m looking forward to seeing what Warnock gets from him, signs are good so far. But if he continues to struggle I’ll be inclined to think he’s not as good as I think he can be. Our top scorer in the Riverside era despite all the above. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, mj south said:

Its alittle harsh to say he's the worst out of the 3, i think his chances created and assissts stats are pretty decent but I'd say out of the 3 hes the 1 we need the least

Need the least!? Our creativity is awful, I’ve wanted us to sign Woodrow all summer but if anything Mowatt would probably be the most needed.

3 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

Britt looked his best under Monk. Was scoring and playing well with another striker up front with him. Pulis came in and criticised him constantly, dropped him, tough love that didn’t seem to work. Woodgate tried to reverse that by bigging up “my number 9” but again didn’t play to his strengths, dropped him and was generally the worst manager and coach we’ve had in 30 years. 
I’m looking forward to seeing what Warnock gets from him, signs are good so far. But if he continues to struggle I’ll be inclined to think he’s not as good as I think he can be. Our top scorer in the Riverside era despite all the above. 

Imo Britt needs to play in a 2 with a negredo type striker, someone who naturally comes deeper and links up with the attacking midfielders etc. Britts natural game is being on the last man or pulling out wide for space. He is awful when he comes deeper.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Mfcdanny said:

A massive disservice 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 he’s on 40k a week.

So it’s ludicrous to have an opinion on a 16 million pound player that’s on 40k a week. Someone that’s been brought in to score goals but hasn’t got over 20 a season since he’s arrived and also never scored over 20 in the championship. And don’t say he doesn’t get chances. There was a video on Twitter half way through last season were he missed a shed load of sitters. A lot of the time he can’t control a 6 yard pass never mind a long punt. That is the problem I have with him. I agree we don’t help at times but he doesn’t either.  

How exactly is he meant to score 20 goals a season in a team like ours? Is he being fed crosses from our exciting, pacey wingers? Do we create loads of overlaps with our pacey wing backs who can get to the byline for a pull back? If not that, is it our creative midfielders threading immense through balls for him to latch onto?

We have none of that. We are dire. We have been for years. Mis-managed, defensive, turgid, slow and predictable in the attack. I genuinely don't think there's a striker outside of the top, top players who would have gotten 20 goals a season for us in the last few years.

Fact is, it isn't just him. We do it to every striker we buy. We broke Jelle Vossen, we broke Jordan Rhodes, Stuani banged 20-odd goals in La Liga after leaving us.

Direct your anger at the tool who owns the club, not the players who are picking up the pieces.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

How exactly is he meant to score 20 goals a season in a team like ours? Is he being fed crosses from our exciting, pacey wingers? Do we create loads of overlaps with our pacey wing backs who can get to the byline for a pull back? If not that, is it our creative midfielders threading immense through balls for him to latch onto?

We have none of that. We are dire. We have been for years. Mis-managed, defensive, turgid, slow and predictable in the attack. I genuinely don't think there's a striker outside of the top, top players who would have gotten 20 goals a season for us in the last few years.

Fact is, it isn't just him. We do it to every striker we buy. We broke Jelle Vossen, we broke Jordan Rhodes, Stuani banged 20-odd goals in La Liga after leaving us.

Direct your anger at the tool who owns the club, not the players who are picking up the pieces.

So your saying he doesn’t get chances. 

Just now, Mfcdanny said:

He gets chances and he misses chances... just like every striker. But the fact is he's been playing in a team that has been the LOWEST SCORERS in the entire LEAGUE. If you're happy to say that's Britt's fault then fine, but I don't think it is.

2 minutes ago, Mfcdanny said:

he's lucky to get one decent chance a game that isn't some self created shot from the edge of the box or something of that nature.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Agree with the first half, Britt is really up against it to get a decent goal return in our current team and only really has when we’ve played him with fletcher in a 2.

Cant agree with the rest like, Vossen I don’t think lived up to expectations and never really got in the positions to score. 
Rhodes imo was one of the worst strikers I’ve seen play for us. Other than excellent timing he had nothing else to offer. In the 4 months between signing and end of season he had enough nailed on chances to score at least 20 goals and fluffed 75% of them. On the ball outside the area he was literally Sunday league level. Didn’t surprise me that he was a sub at best here and every team since leaving, in his last season at Blackburn gestede was keeping him out of the team for long periods!

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)