oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Maybe Brentford are at/or almost at their ceiling as a club, they've traditionally been a 3rd or 4th tier club throughout their history so maybe this is close to as good as it gets for them.

If we had their scouting set up with our infrastructure and finances maybe we could have bought the players they bought, but held onto to them rather than be forced to sell to bigger clubs. 

Maybe a better scouting set up might have done better than Gestede for 7m, Saville for 8m and Assombalonga for 16m. 

The golden standard for us is to do what they are doing in the division above. Our infrastructure, fanbase and recent history would suggest we are a bigger club than Brentford. But let's be honest the best we could ever do is make up the numbers in the Premier league. If we could survive in the Premier league but still playing good football thats about as good as it could get for us as a club now.

Buying players with potential and selling them on for bigger fees is the best way to being sustainable as a club and Brentford do it brilliantly. Are they a failure because they haven't been promoted? I don't think think so, I think they are already overarching as a club. 

The other side of the argument is that the fans of the 71 other clubs outside the Premier league are probably saying they should 'do a Brentford'. I'm sure our plan under Woodgate was to do something like that, however there's a difference between saying what you want to do and actually putting the right people in place to see it through. Also, in the clubs defence its probably a really difficult thing to do. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Poly said:

Any more info on Morsy ? 

It’s all gone worryingly quiet on Morsy, and Zohore.

I know NW said he expected one to be announced tomorrow, but when they drag on like this they don’t look too promising.

I think the one tomorrow will be Bettinelli too, as Fulham are waiting for Areola to sign before they will allow it to become official.

13 minutes ago, Tobermory Whitby said:

What date/time do we need to sign people by, in order for them to be eligible to play against Watford?

Isn’t it normally 24 hours before?

Signing and announcing are two different things though.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, uncle_rico said:

It’s all gone worryingly quiet on Morsy, and Zohore.

I know NW said he expected one to be announced tomorrow, but when they drag on like this they don’t look too promising.

I think the one tomorrow will be Bettinelli too, as Fulham are waiting for Areola to sign before they will allow it to become official.

I wasn’t expecting us to sign Zohore anyway to be fair as I think we will get Sanogo and hopefully Woodrow. But I will be extremely disappointed if we don’t get Morsy. He would be brilliant for us.

5 minutes ago, Poly said:

I wasn’t expecting us to sign Zohore anyway to be fair as I think we will get Sanogo and hopefully Woodrow. But I will be extremely disappointed if we don’t get Morsy. He would be brilliant for us.

fingers crossed we hear something today, someone said yesterday Sanogo was training, and hopefully they done the keepers medical, and hopefully Morsy has made his mind up to join the mighty Boro

18 minutes ago, uncle_rico said:

Isn’t it normally 24 hours before?

Signing and announcing are two different things though.

Think for a night game its 5pm the day before, for a 3pm kick off I think it is lunchtime the day before

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, OldManGravz said:

Think for a night game its 5pm the day before, for a 3pm kick off I think it is lunchtime the day before

We signed Big Juke at 12 midday on a Saturday and he played at 3pm. Loan signings - such as Betinelli - have different rules I think.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)