oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

42 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I'd rather win playing good football.  Maybe one day we'll give it a try.

We did give it a try but did it with an awful manager and a non existent backroom staff, whilst not even backing the project with any finances for players. Effective but unattractive must just be more attainable and cheaper and to be fair it gave us some good periods under McClaren and Karanka

I'd love to see us play attractive football but it just never seems to be the Boro way

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Red Rocket said:

Football has outpriced us, that's the problem. We can't buy intelligent quick players because they're more expensive. If we home grow them a bigger club will throw money at us and take them. It is depressing, honestly. Spence emerged last season and already other clubs are watching. We no longer hold that PL status that protected a small club like ours. 

Without wanting to get into that whole discussion about Brentford's model again, they and other teams have shown that gems can be unearthed.  It just needs to be done on a consistent basis.  

We will never be a Liverpool or Man Utd, but we can be a team that buys and sells well, and develops our academy players and sells them at a profit at the right time.

Even if we make it back to the Premier League we will sell to the top clubs.

• Like 1
Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

It's a shot in the dark though, there aren't many readily available attacking managers with an attractive style. Paul Cook is the only one I could see us attracting and he is likely still in legal wranglings

is paul cook an attractive style though? they were one of the lowest scores in the league with 56 goals, a stat that would look alot worse had they scored 8 goals in their second last game v a terrible hull side. his style is pragmatic and defensive minded IMO. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Every single fan would agree, but unfortunately playing good football doesn't always end up in being successful. Arguments to both sides...  Would you say we were playing good football under our most successful Steve McClaren era? I remember a lot of fans complaining of Cattermole, Parlour and Boateng playing RM at times and it was horrible to watch but we won games. I'd take that every day of the week as I want to see Boro successful, couldn't care if we play attractive football or not. It's 3pts all that matters to me

Well thats a long past era. Defensive football rarely gets you proper sustained success anymore. I think we've talked about this before but the only two clubs I can think of that has managed to get sustained success with defensive, win ugly tactics are athletico Madrid (and they still focus on having extremely talented forwards on top of the defensive base) and Burnley. Theres a reason why pulis and allerdyce struggle to get a job anymore and mourinho is on his way out. Football is more progressive now and there's a lot more to it than being solid and working hard - move with the times or be left behind, which is the situation we are in now.

There are very few clubs in the modern era sufficiently wealthy to square the circle between romanticism and pragmatism. For the most part it’s one or the other, and pragmatism usually wins.

There's definitely a middle ground between hiring Woodgate off the back of a powerpoint and hiring 1000 game shithouse managers the problem is our owner has never really went for a middle ground he either hires rookies or local, in Woodgate's case both, or hires off reputations like Strachan/Pulis/Warnock.

In Warnock's defence he has a much better resumee than Pulis in terms of consistently scoring 60+ goals we'll probably score more goals under Warnock than we have in the past 5 years for me that alone I'll be happy with. We got to a European final by shithousery and tossing it up to a big man and crossing the ball in the box as soon and as much as possible, as a philosophy I have no issue with it personally.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

If he's comparing Sanogo to Kane then let's assume it wasn't very far 🤦‍♂️

Very mature response and judging somebody for an opinion that some strikers start slow and then they start scoring goals when they settle at a club means i'm not good at my job? Thank you for the confidence mr keyboard warrior.

6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Well thats a long past era. Defensive football rarely gets you proper sustained success anymore. I think we've talked about this before but the only two clubs I can think of that has managed to get sustained success with defensive, win ugly tactics are athletico Madrid (and they still focus on having extremely talented forwards on top of the defensive base) and Burnley. Theres a reason why pulis and allerdyce struggle to get a job anymore and mourinho is on his way out. Football is more progressive now and there's a lot more to it than being solid and working hard - move with the times or be left behind, which is the situation we are in now.

Ha ha 😂 Yes we have had this conversation before when I stuck up for pulis so it's probably best we leave this argument alone again mate.

Crystal Palace don't play decent football under Roy Hodgson but he gets results. Norwich play good football, got relegated.

We could be here all day giving examples against each other. But I think fans opinions that playing attractive gets results is very misleading. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, TheHolgate said:

I want to see Boro win games and hopefully have another spell in the PL for a few seasons. I don't care how we do it. 

I had no problem with Pulis ball and don't with how Warnock may play.

Agree 100%

Just now, TheHolgate said:

I want to see Boro win games and hopefully have another spell in the PL for a few seasons. I don't care how we do it. 

I had no problem with Pulis ball and don't with how Warnock may play.

Couldn't agree more, winning 1-0 every game with scrappy or own goals and getting promoted is all that matters to me. I don't pay my money to see us play good football and get beat. Maybe that's my  football competitiveness side coming out.

• Like 1
Just now, Blanco said:

Agree 100%

Me, You and TheHolgate should start our own Pulis appreciation group up 😂 Get the hashtags going!

Really happy with the Morsy signing. Left footed CB/LB, Winger and x2 strikers and our business will be complete.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)