oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

6 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

There's definitely a middle ground between hiring Woodgate off the back of a powerpoint and hiring 1000 game shithouse managers the problem is our owner has never really went for a middle ground he either hires rookies or local, in Woodgate's case both, or hires off reputations like Strachan/Pulis/Warnock.

In Warnock's defence he has a much better resumee than Pulis in terms of consistently scoring 60+ goals we'll probably score more goals under Warnock than we have in the past 5 years for me that alone I'll be happy with. We got to a European final by shithousery and tossing it up to a big man and crossing the ball in the box as soon and as much as possible, as a philosophy I have no issue with it personally.

He did once. He got AK. And we got promoted. Also I’m pretty sure that you are massively understating our progress under McLaren. We got to a European final because we had world class players. And Parnaby.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Just now, diggerlad07 said:

Me, You and TheHolgate should start our own Pulis appreciation group up 😂 Get the hashtags going!

Really happy with the Morsy signing. Left footed CB/LB, Winger and x2 strikers and our business will be complete.

I thought I was on my own when Pulis was here. Glad to know I wasn’t 👍

• Like 1
Just now, diggerlad07 said:

Every single fan would agree, but unfortunately playing good football doesn't always end up in being successful. Arguments to both sides...  Would you say we were playing good football under our most successful Steve McClaren era? I remember a lot of fans complaining of Cattermole, Parlour and Boateng playing RM at times and it was horrible to watch but we won games. I'd take that every day of the week as I want to see Boro successful, couldn't care if we play attractive football or not. It's 3pts all that matters to me

i think it depends, it depends where the club is it and what were doing. for example, most fans accepted pulis ball at first as we believed that although its terrible watch, it would be effective and we'd go up. But everyone saw pulis as a means to an end i dont think anybody envisioned or desired that he stayed at the club long term regardless of results.  

Pulis also highlighted another another issue with the no thrills football, at best people accept it, at worst it  it drives fans away in droves and can divide and ruin a club. I think if another manager had achieved a 6th and 7th place finish like Pulis but played 'attractive' football, there wouldnt have been the same reaction from the fans. Sure some would be upset, but there the fans who want nothing but success and sod everything else. That type of fan is near impossible to please. 
Also, i think its easy to say now we would accept style of football if it brought results, but most fans wouldnt and deep down you wouldn't either. I have to use pulis again as an example as at both stoke and wba, he delivered there best ever finishes in the league and brought relative success to both clubs, but fans eventually came to hate the style and eventually wanted rid. he could guarantee them a decent midtable premier league finish every season, but that eventually that wasnt enough they wanted to be entertained also, i feel the same would have happened at boro aslo.  I know a few West brom fans who said he sucked the soul out of the club, and that they would take relegation if it meant that pulis left. On that last point i know plenty of boro fans who said something similar. 

My personal opinion is that its not all about the 3 points, i want to support a team that im proud to say thats my team, as changing times said, that has a style and identity. Ultimately, id take exciting and attractive championship football over a no thrills pulis brand of making up the numbers in the prem anyday. 
EDIT, i dont have any real issue with Warnocks style, its old school but entertaining.

Edited by tmcc
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Crystal Palace don't play decent football under Roy Hodgson but he gets results. Norwich play good football, got relegated.

Norwich got promoted playing good football. Didn't invest too heavily in the summer they went up and have come down. I'm also confident they'll play good football this year and will probably be there or there abouts for promotion.

Pulis appreciation group because he gets results when he didn't get the results required of him is the weirdest thing. Like, if he got us promoted or even looked like doing it, then fair enough. But he didn't. He didn't just get pelters because of his crap football, he also didn't do the job he was getting handsomely paid to do either.

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I thought I was on my own when Pulis was here. Glad to know I wasn’t 👍

You know I gave him his chance, Blanco. We regularly agreed at the time that he needed the time to have a go. But he had the time and he failed.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, CrazyL said:

He did once. He got AK. And we got promoted. Also I’m pretty sure that you are massively understating our progress under McLaren. We got to a European final because we had world class players. And Parnaby.

AK and McLaren were rookies I didn't say every rookie appointment was bad I'm just saying they're the 2 spectrums our owner works off.

We got to a European final because we had unbelievable strikers, an engine room and fullbacks who could cross and defend but McLaren's style of play was about as direct as you get he rotated Duke and Yakubu with either Massimo or Hasselbaink running off them it was an unbelievable strikeforce we had but we absolutely played a get the ball in the box/hoof it as much as possible football under Mclaren.

5 minutes ago, TheHolgate said:

I want to see Boro win games and hopefully have another spell in the PL for a few seasons. I don't care how we do it. 

I had no problem with Pulis ball and don't with how Warnock may play.

Of course, cant say I didn’t have problems with Pulis though (I recall experiencing some heavy depression towards the end of his reign after pretty much every game)

thankfully that’s in the past and agreed no matter how Warnock wants to play I’ll back him till the end!

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

You know I gave him his chance, Blanco. We regularly agreed at the time that he needed the time to have a go. But he had the time and he failed.

Yes Wilson we did. He only failed on the last day for me when he didn’t make the playoffs. Woodgate and Monk hammered it home for me that I absolutely prefer experienced managers that know what they are doing 

19 minutes ago, ElDaftardo said:

Very mature response and judging somebody for an opinion that some strikers start slow and then they start scoring goals when they settle at a club means i'm not good at my job? Thank you for the confidence mr keyboard warrior.

It was the most mature response I've ever given on here, you should think yourself lucky 🙂

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:
16 minutes ago, TheHolgate said:

I want to see Boro win games and hopefully have another spell in the PL for a few seasons. I don't care how we do it. 

I had no problem with Pulis ball and don't with how Warnock may play.

Couldn't agree more, winning 1-0 every game with scrappy or own goals and getting promoted is all that matters to me. I don't pay my money to see us play good football and get beat. Maybe that's my  football competitiveness side coming out.

We didn't get promoted under Pulis though so if that's all that matters to you then you must have been very disappointed with his spell here?

• Like 2
Just now, DanFromDownSouth said:

Norwich got promoted playing good football. Didn't invest too heavily in the summer they went up and have come down. I'm also confident they'll play good football this year and will probably be there or there abouts for promotion.

And if they aren’t the manager will get sacked. Same for Brentford. Sheffield Utd have been brilliant, a breath of fresh air, but if they struggle this season Wilder will be sacked. Unless a club has the means to keep recruiting the best of the best then pragmatism will always win the day. Even Woodgate had a vision to build an ‘identity’ and style of play, and the chairman wanted it too and gave him every opportunity. But when the worst comes to the worst, relegation and financial disaster looms, send for a safe pair of hands. 

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

We didn't get promoted under Pulis though so if that's all that matters to you then you must have been very disappointed with his spell here?

Yep was disappointed he didn't get us in play offs. He should of.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)