oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

4 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Isn't this about our level historically though?

I think were still in the top 20 for Premier league points earned since it began? So we should at the very least be spending more than 1 year in 11 in the top flight  

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Anything other than Woodrow in the pipeline? @Raf smog @nunthorpered @diggerlad07 @Lurker

Nothing from me I'm afraid other than negotiations continue for Zohore.

As much as I'd love Woodrow, I didn't even know we had talks with Barnsley so I'm hoping it's true as much as the rest of you...

UTB! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

We could have got lots of people in realistically.  What financial limitations do you think we have that the rest of the football world don't?  Outside of top flight clubs in a handful of countries, and the odd exception with rich owners trying to figure out how to circumvent the stupid FFP rules, everyone is in the same boat. 

Warnock isn't here to make us a decent mid-table team. 

I don't even know how to respond to the Gibson feels ready to start being more adventurous bit.

Exactly - all clubs are dealing with financial limitations...Boro included.

How about you explain who we could have attracted who would do a better job? After all, this is the club that decided to appoint Woodgate because Gibson couldn't think of anyone better (and this was pre-Covid).

Also how about you explain what Warnock IS here for (not that I ever specified that - you just inferred)?

Also (finally) instead of just bitching and moaning and ridiculing other peoples' suggestions, how about you suggest what Gibson should do instead.

While you're at it, why not put your CV forward for his job, since you obviously feel you could do a better job (now I'm inferring here).

2 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

How about you explain who we could have attracted who would do a better job? After all, this is the club that decided to appoint Woodgate because Gibson couldn't think of anyone better (and this was pre-Covid).

Also how about you explain what Warnock IS here for (not that I ever specified that - you just inferred that)?

Also (finally) instead of just bitching and moaning and ridiculing other peoples' suggestions, how about you suggest what Gibson should do instead.

While you're at it, why not put your CV forward for his job, since you obviously feel you could do a better job (now I'm inferring here).

This is unfair. Its reasonable to expect people with a vast amount of experience, paid a vast amount of money to do a better job without having all the answers ourselves. We're not qualified or experienced or in the position to make those decisions, its not our job. But when you see other chairmen around the country able to make good decisions, why shouldn't we expect ours to do the same?

• Like 2
Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I think they played decent football all season from what I saw

i think he plays a short tidy passing game, but they were woeful going forward, a 3rd of their goals came in the last 8 games, there was only one team worse than them....no prises for guessing who haha. still i admit, he was in charge of a newly promoted side, might be more exciting at at a bigger club with better players. 

55 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I think were still in the top 20 for Premier league points earned since it began? So we should at the very least be spending more than 1 year in 11 in the top flight  

Across our full history though it's been between the top two leagues, obviously hope for more of our semi recent history though

57 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Also how about you explain what Warnock IS here for (not that I ever specified that - you just inferred)?

Sorry been watching the game...

Yes, all clubs are dealing with financial limitations, which means we are relatively no worse off than other clubs, so it's not an excuse that should be trotted out.

We decided to appoint Woodgate.  We chose to do it, we weren't forced into it because nobody else was interested.  I have absolutely no idea who we could have attracted.  I don't know who was interested in the job, who applied for it, if indeed people did apply and so on.  I suspect that the Warnock appointment was decided, from Gibson's point of view, the minute he was brought in to replace Woodgate.  The only issue was whether Warnock would want to give it a go or not.

Warnock is here to try and win promotion.  He's 71, he lives in Cornwall, he isn't here to guide the team to a nice mid-table place before heading back off into retirement.

I did suggest what Gibson should do/have done.  

Nobody made any suggestions for me to ridicule so I don't know what this is referring to?

Boro couldn't afford me, and I suspect my skills would be better suited to further up the hierarchy than the manager's role.  I'm absolutely certain I could do a better job than the top two though, not a doubt in my mind about that.

• Like 3

well, that game highlighted perfectly why having depth is important, they had 17 players injured but were still able to field a solid side due to there 35 man squad. Meanwhile, using our 20 man squad, we pieced together a starting 11 with nothing of note on the bench. This mean that when plan A didnt work we had nobody to turn to. 
Would really love to hear the imput of the people who arguing that a 20 men squad is more than enough for the league and our squad should be fine. 

2 minutes ago, tmcc said:

well, that game highlighted perfectly why having depth is important, they had 17 players injured but were still able to field a solid side due to there 35 man squad. Meanwhile, using our 20 man squad, we pieced together a starting 11 with nothing of note on the bench. This mean that when plan A didnt work we had nobody to turn to. 
Would really love to hear the imput of the people who arguing that a 20 men squad is more than enough for the league and our squad should be fine. 

a 20 man squad is fine if 17 of them are good enough to start every week, we have 14

I think the need for options is evident. I don’t think we were particularly poor but the ability to change your approach and unsettle teams in different ways is lacking with what we have now. 

Just now, Mr_Maz said:

a 20 man squad is fine if 17 of them are good enough to start every week, we have 14

theres no evidence for this claim that a 20 man squad would be fine, an average squad size these days is 24-26 players so basically 2 people every position. with a 20 man squad, your only a handful of injuries and suspensions away from being at the bare bones, especially if the injured or suspended players play the same positions. The average number of players injured in squad is between 5-6, so based on the average we'd have 14/15 players to choose from every week. its just far to risky thus why almost no club will start a season with a 20 man squad willingly. look at us last season there was a point where was 8 players out, if that happened now we'd be screwed. 

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)