oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

33 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

We had creativity and width at the back end of last season with Roberts and also recently with Traore so I wouldn't say it's been 3years, but yes I agree we need a lot of pace and directness in our team.

I personally think we need more than just one option in the squad. From memory, Roberts and Traore weren't in the same squad.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

True Forest have just spent that Matty Cash money to get him. But I feel Gibson is using Financial Fair play to no longer invest in the squad like he use to. 

Gibson puts in the maximum that the rules allow, hence he wants everyone to play by the rules.

• Like 1
Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

We have always struggled to sign width and pace, I know they are rare commodities but we don't even get bad ones

last time was when we had caroyal and adomah, i think they score 20 goals between them until caroyal got injured and pretty much finished his career 

• Like 3
Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Roberts aside, I can only think of Marvin Johnson as an attempt at purchasing a wide player. It's actually mad

i think Johnson has been at the club long enough for us to know that he dosent really play any position. 

4 minutes ago, tmcc said:

i think Johnson has been at the club long enough for us to know that he dosent really play any position. 

Oh yeah but the intent was there, he at least covers a bad attempt at it. I'd just like us to take a few risks with pacey, exciting players and hope Browne and Folarin improve too

• Like 2

We’ve still got other targets, and I’m hoping that Neil (Bausor) can get one or two over the line in the next few weeks.

Sounds like there's no more watching videos to be done and we just go down the list he handed to Bausor.

I am interested to see the names that come out for the striker targets in the next week he missed out on a guy he's eyed for 3 years in Sanogo, an opportunity signing in Moore and probably priced out of Zohore will be interesting what player crops up.

7 minutes ago, tmcc said:

what happened with Sanogo?  i know it feel through but have the details why come out yet?

He failed the medical due to being several stones overweight apparently 

10 minutes ago, tmcc said:

what happened with Sanogo?  i know it feel through but have the details why come out yet?

"The Boro boss has pulled out of a proposed deal for free agent Yaya Sanogo as he is concerned about the former Arsenal striker’s fitness levels"

• Like 1
4 hours ago, tmcc said:

i think it depends, it depends where the club is it and what were doing. for example, most fans accepted pulis ball at first as we believed that although its terrible watch, it would be effective and we'd go up. But everyone saw pulis as a means to an end i dont think anybody envisioned or desired that he stayed at the club long term regardless of results.  

Pulis also highlighted another another issue with the no thrills football, at best people accept it, at worst it  it drives fans away in droves and can divide and ruin a club. I think if another manager had achieved a 6th and 7th place finish like Pulis but played 'attractive' football, there wouldnt have been the same reaction from the fans. Sure some would be upset, but there the fans who want nothing but success and sod everything else. That type of fan is near impossible to please. 
Also, i think its easy to say now we would accept style of football if it brought results, but most fans wouldnt and deep down you wouldn't either. I have to use pulis again as an example as at both stoke and wba, he delivered there best ever finishes in the league and brought relative success to both clubs, but fans eventually came to hate the style and eventually wanted rid. he could guarantee them a decent midtable premier league finish every season, but that eventually that wasnt enough they wanted to be entertained also, i feel the same would have happened at boro aslo.  I know a few West brom fans who said he sucked the soul out of the club, and that they would take relegation if it meant that pulis left. On that last point i know plenty of boro fans who said something similar. 

My personal opinion is that its not all about the 3 points, i want to support a team that im proud to say thats my team, as changing times said, that has a style and identity. Ultimately, id take exciting and attractive championship football over a no thrills pulis brand of making up the numbers in the prem anyday. 
EDIT, i dont have any real issue with Warnocks style, its old school but entertaining.

I think we all put too much emphasis on ‘attractive’ football, thinking of Barca etc. I’d rather see ‘exciting’ football. More along the lines of what Klopp has done at Liverpool, I think his style is much more flexible and accessible for a club our size than peps hipster football.

I think when people criticise managers for playing ugly football it’s not that they expect us to play like Man City, it’s that when we come up against smaller teamsters continue to do the hoofs and diagonals and just generally look ragged. We don’t even TRY to play half decent football and often in recent times it looks like we can’t really do anything but hoof it.

I have always said instead of the ‘win at all costs’ generic smaller club mentality I’d like us to actually bring something to the game. I wanted us to not only bring our own academy players through but go to other teams with huge academy’s and scout them and try and be the team who promotes younger British players.

Kind of like what we did last season with the likes of Browne and bola, I know it’s not the best example because of how they’ve turned out so far but that kind of thing. 

I think we’d win a lot of fans around england rather than be a team people switch off if we put together a young dynamic side who just went out to win games in whatever fashion required. Sometimes you have to go long and play ugly that’s how it is at this level.

What I can’t stand watching though is us barely being able to string 3 passes together, seeing fans of Shrewsbury describe us as ‘not that great’, doing that containment thing and letting the other team have the ball and dictate things and hoping for a lucky break/bounce.

Say what you want about Karanka but when we were on it under him it was great to watch. We had bite all over the pitch, we could move the ball forward quick and just overwhelm teams. That’s what I liked to watch and what I want to see. I know it’s a cringeworthy phrase but it’s ‘heavy metal football’ our fans want to see, not the pretty posession stuff and I think that is achievable for any team.

• Like 5
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)