oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, edinboro said:

Warnock said I'm press conference before the match that it's now obvious that mistakes were made earlier in the summer. I'm guessing let Friend and Shotton go may now not look so good.

I'd also add pulling out of Moore and going for Sanogo to that.

5 minutes ago, edinboro said:

Warnock said I'm press conference before the match that it's now obvious that mistakes were made earlier in the summer. I'm guessing let Friend and Shotton go may now not look so good.

I would say they were the right decisions but we haven't replaced people and perhaps mistakes have happened behind the scenes with scouting and negotiating. 

So far we have (again) signed a centre back and a centre midfielder. It's like that's the entirety of our scouting network.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

How could we have tried harder? I dont remember a single poster on here suggesting friend should get anymore than 12 months. He got a 3yr deal at Birmingham at the age of 32 yrs old. If the club offered him that there would have been a meltdown on here

Wouldn't have overly bothered me, even though I'd have preferred 2 years in case he declined rapidly.

Fans melting down doesn't mean it's the right or wrong decision.

I'd have been happy keeping Shotton too.

29 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Sorry just can’t agree, your highlights video just proves it. 3 years worth of highlights and it featured 2 whole shots, 1 goal, about four 3 yard passes and surprise surprise some good balls over the top when he had time and space.

Before you tell me ‘it’s not his job to shoot’ go and watch Morsys highlight video.

this is what people forget about the Karanka era, we did struggle to create against rival promotion chasing teams, but up against teams we ‘should beat’ we put them to the sword 90% of the time.

I'm not talking about shooting ability, I agree with you that Clayton can't shoot. 

You said the Clayton of 5 years couldn't shoot or pass, that video proves that he can pass the ball. I watched pretty much every game he played under Karanka and in 2014/15 and 2015/16 he was a very important part of the team. 

That video is a tiny snapshot but he showed in that video he could cross the ball, pass short/long and receive the ball under pressure. 

You obviously don't rate him very highly but to say the 2015 version of Clayton couldn't pass the ball is complete nonsense. 

Clayton actually did OK in the Premier league and was one of the few players who came out of it with any credit. Don't get me wrong he isn't a Premier league player but I think that's because of his lack of pace rather than ability. 

Let's hope Morsey is as good as everyone is saying on here. I'm surprised Wigan didn't win the league last season because their players are so highly rated. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

Sunderland losing, that'll cheer me up.

Kieffer Moore losing after turning down a bigger wage packet from us is bringing me a little smile I can't lie.

Harris has put himself in a silly position he has a 6 foot 5 striker who cost 2 million who's Welsh and a 6 million pound 6 foot 4 striker whose relegated to supersub so long as Moore's fit nonsense recruiting in my opinion.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Just because you mention the 14/15 play-off final, in the 2014/15 season this was the top 8 teams at the end of it. (I've ignored below 8th as there was close to a 10 points gap by the end of the season).Screenshot_20200912-143143_SofaScore.thumb.jpg.1342fb4c033a7492c63247ecc4b6a993.jpg

That season we lost to Bournemouth (A) and drew at home.

We lost to Watford (A) and drew at home.

We beat Norwich home and away.

We beat Brentford home and away.

We lost to Ipswich (A) and beat them at home.

We lost to Wolves (A) and beat them at home.

We beat Derby home and away.

We won 8 games out of the 14 we played against the top 8. That's a win percentage of 57%. And we lost 4 games out of 14 a loss percentage of 29%. 

I'd argue based on that, that we didn't struggle against promotion chasing sides.

We did, we were awful in the Watford, Bournemouth and play off final. We were one of the best teams until it mattered and fell short. Yes it’s only a handful of games but at the level we were at then that’s all that counts. Was just frustrating seeing us not turn up in those games.

48 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

What on Earth does Morsy have to do with Clayton during his time here? What an incredible way to avoid the fact it really wasn't his job to score goals, by mentioning a player who hasn't played for us, hasn't played for Karanka and hasn't played at the level Clayton has ever.

Everytime I mention how bad Clayton was in the attacking sense the first excuse people pushed out was it wasn’t the job of the CdM to provide any attacking threat. Morsy the cdm for Wigan seemed to provide a decent amount there. Anyway it’s always been my opinion of Clayton and nothing will change it, an argument for a different thread.

1 minute ago, LinoJo3 said:

We did, we were awful in the Watford, Bournemouth and play off final. We were one of the best teams until it mattered and fell short. Yes it’s only a handful of games but at the level we were at then that’s all that counts. Was just frustrating seeing us not turn up in those games.

Watford we were awful, Karanka got his team totally wrong. The Bournemouth game was after a great midweek away win at Derby and the team were just knackered. Id say that season our record against the top 6 was pretty good on the whole. 

The playoff final was lost on the bus before we even kicked off, thats probably worthy of a thread of its own. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Watford we were awful, Karanka got his team totally wrong. The Bournemouth game was after a great midweek away win at Derby and the team were just knackered. Id say that season our record against the top 6 was pretty good on the whole. 

The playoff final was lost on the bus before we even kicked off, thats probably worthy of a thread of its own. 

@LinoJo3 Duvel pretty much says what I was going to type back to you 🙂

Only thing I'd add is that every league game that season mattered to us, as we were gunning for Promotion (either automatically or play-offs). So the 8 games we won against the top 8 I'd say mattered.

I am 100% with you on the fact that we struggled massively, under Karanka, if a team defended deep or we went a goal down.

40 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I would say they were the right decisions but we haven't replaced people and perhaps mistakes have happened behind the scenes with scouting and negotiating. 

So far we have (again) signed a centre back and a centre midfielder. It's like that's the entirety of our scouting network.

The pulis summer he wanted 2 wide players so we could play 433, we didn’t sign them so had to go to 352 eventually. Warnock wanted 2 wide players to play 433, we (so far) haven’t got them so have to play 352.

Our record of signing wide players (full backs included) is simply awful. To sum it up We’ve managed to sign 4 good wide players (friend, adomah, Traore, nsue) since Johnson left in 2009, the last of those signings coming 3 years ago. In all honesty that is just depressing.

I’m not counting downing as getting him in was the easy way out and he never lived up to the outlay in anyway.

Edit: I forgot Roberts, now he was a good signing and I’m hoping we get him back.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)