oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

I think there are a few considerations with regards to money. Firstly it seems that we do have a few million to spend, I'm guessing around £2M to £5M although any outgoing fee raising transfers may boost this.

Secondly we (or I should say MFC) haven't had any income from gate receipts for six months. OK I know that includes the summer break but there were also the refunds for games behind closed doors at the end of last season so whatever way you look at it money is a very rare commodity in football outside of the Premiership right now. I doubt many clubs can afford to run the entire season without any income and if it comes down to surviving not just in the Championship but surviving full stop then I'm all for survival.

The Covid threat seems to be regaining strength and another lockdown a distinct possibility especially as we have already seen local ones enforced. If the season is abandoned it could mean the death knell for many clubs or even if the season continues as it is it could still make administration the norm for many.

Thirdly then I guess that is why we would prefer to loan rather than outright purchase just now. Ultimately the employment contract is with the Players Parent club and we are then only liable to one year exposure or part thereof at say 40% or 50% of wages depending on demands. We could I suppose do a Sheffield Wednesday and spend, spend, spend but what happens if the season is suspended (or as I suspect more likely this year after being wiser after the event) cancelled altogether? A raft of new signings on a minimum of three or even four year contracts to run which are probably inflated to attract Players to a Club with a points deduction.

I'm pretty certain that Bulkhaul will be feeling the pinch and we all know that Hotels are on their backsides and that even Golf Courses were closed (baffling to me that one) despite being as socially distanced as you can get (even more so when I play). SG's pockets are limited like everyone else and whilst he has made some irksome decisions over the last decade keeping the Club alive through a pandemic isn't a stick I would use to beat him with as frustrating as the transfer window looks. 

• Like 9

Some interesting comments from NW on his striker, could this be Woodrow they're talking about? All comments taken from Joe Nicholson on twitter:

Warnock on lack of options off the bench: "When I spoke to Steve later on. We are all aware there wasn't much to change it and we have to put that right in the next couple of weeks."

Warnock on transfers: "My main choice is still ongoing, I'm optimistic as we've had this before. We may have some more news on Wednesday. It would have been nice to make three positive changes from the bench but we are what we are." #Boro

Warnock on striker targets: "We've been waiting for my No. 1 target for a couple of weeks. We get good bits of news and then get my hopes dashed. I'm hopeful we can bring him in then I'd then like to bring in a younger lad to supplement the three." #Boro

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Some interesting comments from NW on his striker, could this be Woodrow they're talking about? All comments taken from Joe Nicholson on twitter:

Warnock on lack of options off the bench: "When I spoke to Steve later on. We are all aware there wasn't much to change it and we have to put that right in the next couple of weeks."

Warnock on transfers: "My main choice is still ongoing, I'm optimistic as we've had this before. We may have some more news on Wednesday. It would have been nice to make three positive changes from the bench but we are what we are." #Boro

Warnock on striker targets: "We've been waiting for my No. 1 target for a couple of weeks. We get good bits of news and then get my hopes dashed. I'm hopeful we can bring him in then I'd then like to bring in a younger lad to supplement the three." #Boro

Feels more like Zohore to me, which is a shame

He’s a wily old boy isn’t he? He could have brought Browne on as well as Wing, and / or changed the formation for the last 20 pushing Johnson up the park, or bringing Coulson on. It’s almost as if he pointedly didn’t use 3 subs to emphasise the need for reinforcements with the chairman. Shrewd!

• Like 1

I'm not sure the way Warnock spoke about Zohore screams to me he's been his main target all along but I guess we'll see we all thought Phillips was our no.1 GK target until Warnock basically said 'who da *** is that guy' at a presser.

Going by the younger hint he gave for striker number 4, which is the same hint he gave at Cardiff last summer for striker number 4, I'm guessing he wants a young pacey striker to complete the set.

1 minute ago, CrazyL said:

He’s a wily old boy isn’t he? He could have brought Browne on as well as Wing, and / or changed the formation for the last 20 pushing Johnson up the park, or bringing Coulson on. It’s almost as if he pointedly didn’t use 3 subs to emphasise the need for reinforcements with the chairman. Shrewd!

Potentially not doing anything to effect the game, to prove a point that literally everyone who knows anything about our squad can blatantly see? I wouldn't say shrewd.

• Like 1

I suppose he thought he might have to change the shape to accommodate a change, which may have given Watford more space and chances. We were solid pretty much after the goal. You could say better to be beat 3-0 but going for it, however I don't think any options off the bench on Friday would have altered anything. 

• Sad 1
15 minutes ago, CrazyL said:

i actually thought this when watching the game. he didnt even try to alter it. hopefully the greater good pays off.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)