oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

10 minutes ago, Ayresome7 said:

We have tracked Wesley Said since our first year back in the Premier League under Karanka when he played for Rennes. He is very close to Sanogo.

Only problem with the target being Said, is that Said hasn't played a single game for Toulouse this season.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Information has been harder to get than usual since Warnock has come in, and this has got worse as the window has progressed.

That’s good news really as it keeps the Clubs cards close to their chest. No good for us on here though! 😁

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Only problem with the target being Said, is that Said hasn't played a single game for Toulouse this season.

You are right. He is out for several months as of early August. Has had a lot of injuries in the past.

https://the72.co.uk/178096/middlesbrough-pursuing-deal-for-want-away-toulouse-winger-wesley-said/

I do kind of hope Moukoudi comes in. Thought there was something about him that goes beyond just being a big lad who can head a ball, someone who can actually do a job when Warnock leaves, with the right manager.

I feel like the fee for Roberts must be pretty hefty up front, too. Think the only reason he's not ended up at Norwich this summer in their splurge is because he was there on loan last season and he never really got a look in. I'm surprised nobody else has taken a punt on him yet TBH.

Woodrow, well he looks like he's a bit of an all round forward. Scores a variety of goals, from range, in the box, left and right foot both look decent. Still pretty young and probably worth the investment given we could lose one or both of Britt and Fletch at the end of this season. I'm not so sure based on limited viewing that I see anything substantially different in quality between him and Chaplin. As for mentions of Mowatt being their best player... well maybe but I don't think watching what he does on a pitch points to anything that would improve our midfield at all, especially now Morsy is here. I remember him supposedly being the next big thing at Leeds and was shocked to see him have to drop down as far as he did. Good to see he's worked his way back to this level.

• Like 1

@wilsoncgp I wasnt suggesting mowatt as a signing when I said he is their best player (the centre midfielders have to stop at some stage!), more just making the point that we should really be realistic and temper our expectations considering woodrow isn't one of Barnsleys best 3 players - a club that finished below us last season. Even if he was 4th that probably makes him the equivalent of a howson maybe?

That added to the fact he didn't break into several champions clubs before finally getting significant minutes for the first time in his career last season at 25? I hope if we get him he comes good but he's not an exciting signing for me.

16 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

@wilsoncgp I wasnt suggesting mowatt as a signing when I said he is their best player (the centre midfielders have to stop at some stage!), more just making the point that we should really be realistic and temper our expectations considering woodrow isn't one of Barnsleys best 3 players - a club that finished below us last season. Even if he was 4th that probably makes him the equivalent of a howson maybe?

That added to the fact he didn't break into several champions clubs before finally getting significant minutes for the first time in his career last season at 25? I hope if we get him he comes good but he's not an exciting signing for me.

I mean, what you've said for Woodrow could be also said of Mowatt and yet he's somebody who you'd probably look at as being capable of moving a step up the ladder to a club that won't be just fighting relegation again, if indeed that's what we'll expect from Barnsley this year. He also wasn't good enough for this level and has had to drop down to get back to grips with football but is now on the up again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting a world beater if we sign a player from a team that survived relegation by the skin of their teeth but I think at least with Woodrow the lad looks like he could play anywhere across the forward line or just in behind and the lad bagged 15 goals in that team last season. I'd personally rather him sign on a permanent than Zohore, at the very least.

• Like 1

Interesting quote from Mowbray in an article:

Covid has affected things, there’s a lot of footballers around the world who gave up money, they deferred money in salaries, and when a transfer is coming up midway through the repayment of those deferrals, the clubs sometimes aren’t quick to repay that money that’s owed, and it’s difficult.

“I’m sure we’re not the only clubs who have hit these kind of circumstances of trying to sign footballers who are still owed money.

“It then becomes more difficult. Are you just giving up on that money, are you expected to walk away? Those are the sort of scenarios that hold things up a little bit and it become that bit more difficult.

“You understand it from the players’ side, and their agent, so I can’t really tell you where we are.

I wonder how much this sort of thing has affected our business. 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, KeithLambsFaxMachine said:

Interesting quote from Mowbray in an article:

Covid has affected things, there’s a lot of footballers around the world who gave up money, they deferred money in salaries, and when a transfer is coming up midway through the repayment of those deferrals, the clubs sometimes aren’t quick to repay that money that’s owed, and it’s difficult.

“I’m sure we’re not the only clubs who have hit these kind of circumstances of trying to sign footballers who are still owed money.

“It then becomes more difficult. Are you just giving up on that money, are you expected to walk away? Those are the sort of scenarios that hold things up a little bit and it become that bit more difficult.

“You understand it from the players’ side, and their agent, so I can’t really tell you where we are.

I wonder how much this sort of thing has affected our business. 

An aspect that until now I have not considered but until fans get back into the grounds it will remain that way to a degree

Doesn't sound like we are after Roberts:

"I think the problem with Patrick is we'd have to sign two defensive full backs (to accommodate Roberts) and I've got other priorities," he said.

"I'd like to sign full backs and I'd like to sign Patrick but I have to jiggle what I've got, what I can spend. At the moment it's not a priority to sign a wide player playing there."

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/neil-warnock-quizzed-patrick-roberts-18934184

Well no interest in Roberts because he said if we sign wingers he'll need to sign 2 new full backs as well and with the budget he has it doesn't make sense to prioritise new fullbacks/wingers.

Personally I think he's absolutely right I'm not thrilled with our wingbacks but this formation has turned Dijksteel into an absolute monster I think the system isn't our problem no need to throw it all out after 1 game.

9 hours ago, BoroJake said:

Warnock mentioned the club of our main target has played quite a few games already didn't he? The french league have been going for a few weeks

He did and I was thinking it could mean friendly, cup or leagues that have already started so give up being so many. 

1 minute ago, Jamie-H said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/neil-warnock-quizzed-patrick-roberts-18934184

No interest in Roberts because he said if we sign wingers he'll need to sign 2 new full backs as well and with the budget he has it doesn't make sense to prioritise new fullbacks/wingers.

Personally I think he's absolutely right I'm not thrilled with our wingbacks but this formation has turned Dijksteel into an absolute monster I think the system isn't our problem no need to throw it all out after 1 game.

Aye, same point I made with LinoJo about the 4-2-3-1. Though I reckon Roberts would be a good floating 10 personally, so I'd still be after him. 

9 hours ago, BOROTRON5000 said:

From warnocks interview I would say it's either shankland or the lad from Ross county, there season started weeks ago 

I’ll edge towards a Scottish player only because they kicked off before us and it falls into, played a few games.. 

Well the alarm bells are going in my head reading that Warnock interview. Says we don’t need anymore creativity and can rely on Tav and Wing... what is this club’s problem? 

For years our struggle hasn’t been a lack of quality striker up front, it’s the severe lack of service they receive and not one person in the hierarchy seems to be aware. Morons

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

Well the alarm bells are going in my head reading that Warnock interview. Says we don’t need anymore creativity and can rely on Tav and Wing... what is this club’s problem? 

For years our struggle hasn’t been a lack of quality striker up front, it’s the severe lack of service they receive and not one person in the hierarchy seems to be aware. Morons

Yes I’m surprised he’s saying that. He even admits he hasn’t seen enough from Wing so really he’s saying he’s happy with Tav. How can one player with some creativity be enough? Creativity should be the priority not 2 extra strikers. 

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)