oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

I dont think warnock can really grumble about signings anymore, hes got what he wanted all along - a new spine to the team, and a fairly costly one at that given the circumstances. He always maintained he was happy with his wide options and also seems happy with wing and tav as his central creativity, so now he needs to show what he can do. 

He said himself his aim is to get promoted- anything less than a play off charge, given the support hes received in getting his targets, is now going to be considered a failure. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I know there are huge question marks, but I wonder if Marcus Maddison on a free would suit us (wages dependent). He played his best football at Peterborough when he was played in the number 10 role. 

If we can get him playing football in the form he did at Peterborough we could have a real asset on our hands. 

I know people will point to his time at Hull, but during that spell he was pushed out wide for most of his games.

Well he would be no more of a risk than Ravel Morrison was, so i wouldnt be against him getting a short term deal. He is also supposed to be good at dead ball situations and dear me we need someone.

• Like 1

I did not know Akpom was part of Hull team tham went up year we went up. He was also part of Brighton team that went up year after.

He has 2 promotions from this league under his belt along with Europa league and champions league experience.

For a lad who is 24yrs old he certainly has some experience under his belt.

If he scores 10 league goals I will be happy. As long as his 10 is matched by Britt 15 and Fletcher 10 too.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Lurker said:

We’re going for 2 forwards, 1 CB & hoping on a creative midfielder. 

I think it’s a sensible approach when we’ll play mostly with wing backs 

Assuming we stick with 5-3-2, which is absolutely inivtable - I wonder if it's Warnock's intention to play 2 'creative' midfielders behind the 2 strikers, with Morsy as the pivot. As oppose to Morsey being 1 of 2 primarily defensive CMs and a #10 making up the 3.

Tav, Browne, new AM - and, very much a push to call either traditionally creative, but also Wing and Saville - making up a 5 competing for 2 'creative' spots. With Howson very much the utility man to plug gaps / Morsy's back-up, as oppose to start.

I could get behind that more than 2 out-n-out defensive CMs in this system.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I dont think warnock can really grumble about signings anymore, hes got what he wanted all along - a new spine to the team, and a fairly costly one at that given the circumstances. He always maintained he was happy with his wide options and also seems happy with wing and tav as his central creativity, so now he needs to show what he can do. 

He said himself his aim is to get promoted- anything less than a play off charge, given the support hes received in getting his targets, is now going to be considered a failure. 

He really said that?

If he really meant it, I think he's being huuuuuuuuuuuugely over-ambitious, considering the squad we have.

I know he has a record of getting promoted with fairly ordinary (on paper) teams, but getting Boro in the top 6 this season will be nothing short of a miracle IMO.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I did not know Akpom was part of Hull team tham went up year we went up. He was also part of Brighton team that went up year after.

He has 2 promotions from this league under his belt along with Europa league and champions league experience.

For a lad who is 24yrs old he certainly has some experience under his belt.

If he scores 10 league goals I will be happy. As long as his 10 is matched by Britt 15 and Fletcher 10 too.

That is near enough our whole tally last season from three players...

14 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:
I wonder how much of the transfer kitty is left and how many loans we will need to rely on. Seems like he wants the spine of the team to be permanents and maybe the flair players to be loans. 

It looks like Gibson was and is prepared to spend money. We must be in a far better state than all those clubs where the owner is not prepared to put money in, or wants to take money out. 
The problem all clubs have at the moment is that they can’t prepare reliable forecasts for this season, and won’t want to take on too many long term commitments, given the worsening of Covid spread again. 

it was said the loss of the four home games last season cost around £1.25m to £1.5m. If the tentative steps to allow fans back in don’t work, this means a full season loss of around £7.5m to £9m. Even if the FFP rules are relaxed, a lot of clubs won’t have the ability, or desire, to fund such losses.

I know we have a terrible record of late transfer window deals, but I suspect this year the market is different. The question is whether with Warnock we can change our awful late window record. There  will be a lot of division 1 and 2 clubs looking at potentially practically no income that will go into survival mode and end up selling some of their best youngsters just to try to guarantee they have enough money to survive until the next transfer window. There’s probably also a few Championship sides who know they need to raise transfer income  as well. At the moment they are probably still asking prices that are higher than we are willing to pay, but I think desperation and reality will set in before the deadline. I do wonder if we are keeping a little back to try to take advantage of that. Maybe with Warnock we can actually find one or two good ones. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

He really said that?

If he really meant it, I think he's being huuuuuuuuuuuugely over-ambitious, considering the squad we have.

I know he has a record of getting promoted with fairly ordinary (on paper) teams, but getting Boro in the top 6 this season will be nothing short of a miracle IMO.

Can't remember the exact wording but it was along the lines of him not being here if he didn't think he could get us promoted.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

Happy with Akpom. Looking forward to seeing him play.

Hoping we get a creative midfielder soon. We have looked a lot better in the past with a tomlin/ramirez type 

Yes and Warnock did realise he needed a Tomlin type in his Cardiff side although he did cooment he found it difficult to actually get him on the pitch.

52 minutes ago, Adamjr9 said:

That is near enough our whole tally last season from three players...

Tbf am not asking a lot from them 3 forwards. Am asking britt to add 4 goals to his tally in what i hope will be a season where he plays more.

I reduced fletchers tally as i think he and Akpom are the two who will rotate more to partner britt

31 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Tbf am not asking a lot from them 3 forwards. Am asking britt to add 4 goals to his tally in what i hope will be a season where he plays more.

I reduced fletchers tally as i think he and Akpom are the two who will rotate more to partner britt

I agree it’s not too much to ask. Just thought it was funny to put into perspective how *** we were last season again 😂