oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Good performance like that just feel we shoulda got the win if we didn't mess up that offside goal. But we have to take confidence we have played two former Premiership sides and we weren't humiliated stood our ground in both just conceded on two corners. But I feel when we play lesser sides in the coming weeks we can start getting the Wins 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

True, you could argue that because we have less possession we aren't able to make as many long passes as we'd like perhaps. I'll have a look and see if you can see "Total" long passes rather than per game. Can then work out a %

If you work out the percentage of long ball passes to to total passes we'll be somewhere near the top of the list I imagine.  That to me is what a long ball side is, not simply the total number of passes.  If you make 1000 passes and 100 of them are long balls then that's 10%.  If you make 200 passes and 50 of them are long balls then that's 25%.  The latter is a long ball team even if the total number of long passes is lower than the former.  I think we are at 23% for the season.  Only Wycombe, Rotherham, Sheff Wed and Birmingham are higher.  Wycombe's is a lot higher.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

We are.  I mean, watching the games tell you that, even without stats, which also tell you that.  

I just think it's a lazy position to take, the stats are clear. You might not think we are attractive and our midfield at times isn't in the game enough but that's not the same thing

Warnock doesn't even have a record of playing long ball football, I've always found it strange that people on here go on about Zohore like he was a target man. He plays down the channels as he did for Cardiff and yes, they were decent from set pieces and played happily without possession but their tactics were all about nullifying teams and then breaking in behind

14 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

If you work out the percentage of long ball passes to to total passes we'll be somewhere near the top of the list I imagine.  That to me is what a long ball side is, not simply the total number of passes.  If you make 1000 passes and 100 of them are long balls then that's 10%.  If you make 200 passes and 50 of them are long balls then that's 25%.  The latter is a long ball team even if the total number of long passes is lower than the former.  I think we are at 23% for the season.  Only Wycombe, Rotherham, Sheff Wed and Birmingham are higher.  Wycombe's is a lot higher.

Yeah, Wycombe are top by a mile. But they were playing that style in League One.

image.png.f408263a6005ac253634ff79d8106b29.png 

1 minute ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Yeah, Wycombe are top by a mile. But they were playing that style in League One.

image.png.f408263a6005ac253634ff79d8106b29.png 

This isn't me saying we don't play long balls but people go on like it's our game plan to just throw it forwars and that all our attacks come from just pump it up to the strikers, hence the Akpom can he head the ball comments. Honestly at times I wish we were more direct

Also look at the stats today, we had more possession and played less long balls than Bournemouth

12 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I just think it's a lazy position to take, the stats are clear. You might not think we are attractive and our midfield at times isn't in the game enough but that's not the same thing

But CT gave you the stats that matter and we are in the top 5 for it.

Just back from the game.

Desperate for some creativity but positive signs are there.

Think we're 3 to 4 players away from having a decent little team.

Set pieces we look shaky on that's for sure.

Crosses are dreadful.

McNair needs to be in midfield has much more of an impact.

Get a left footed CB, a winger and a No.10 and we'll be challenging for playoffs.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Warnock doesn't even have a record of playing long ball football, I've always found it strange that people on here go on about Zohore like he was a target man. He plays down the channels as he did for Cardiff and yes, they were decent from set pieces and played happily without possession but their tactics were all about nullifying teams and then breaking in behind

Yeah, the stats are clear, we are a long ball side.  Laziness would be not making an effort to understand what the data is showing.

Warnock definitely has a record of direct football, why would you think he doesn't? 

It's like the Pulis stuff again, where we had to pretend that we weren't direct early on, until people were fed up of him and we could just be honest about it.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Just back from the game.

Desperate for some creativity but positive signs are there.

Think we're 3 to 4 players away from having a decent little team.

Set pieces we look shaky on that's for sure.

Crosses are dreadful.

McNair needs to be in midfield has much more of an impact.

Get a left footed CB, a winger and a No.10 and we'll be challenging for playoffs.

If i tell you this now I am hoping the disappointed will be less for you when it does not happen.

We are NOT signing a winger this transfer window. And you will be lucky if we get a no.10 either. 

Btw i am not itk. I am just repeating what our manager has said several tines in terms of what positions he targeting.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

This isn't me saying we don't play long balls but people go on like it's our game plan to just throw it forwars and that all our attacks come from just pump it up to the strikers, hence the Akpom can he head the ball comments. Honestly at times I wish we were more direct

Also look at the stats today, we had more possession and played less long balls than Bournemouth

I'd disagree I think a large part of our game plan, is launching it forwards (aerially), hence why we are in the top 5 for aerial duels. I also think another large part of our gameplan is to play it wide for the likes of Spence and Johnson to whip crosses in. 

True that today's statistics seem to buck the trend a bit, I hope it continues to move that way.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Tobermory said:

Where are you playing the winger and #10 in a 352 formation?

I'd replace Johnson with a winger and some end product then have a No.10 who we can bring off the bench or start depending on the formation like we did with Browne.