oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

3 minutes ago, uncle_rico said:

Bit of potential transfer news - just been told we have enquired about Greg Cunningham. Nothing more than that but a few other clubs are in for him too.

What are you doing posting transfer news on this thread? 🙄

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, uncle_rico said:

Bit of potential transfer news - just been told we have enquired about Greg Cunningham. Nothing more than that but a few other clubs are in for him too.

A LWB. Seems we've highlighted an issue if true. 

3 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

according to the internet he can play CB and LB, not much mention of him as a LWB, but he probably can

I've only seen him as a more forward thinking FB/WB, but must admit that was a few seasons back. He's 29 now, so may well have changed.

Hopefully he could slot in the LCB position in a similar form to Dijksteel. 

10 minutes ago, uncle_rico said:

Can't get in the Cardiff team ahead of Joe Bennett.. Not sure on this one. 

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

What would people think of signing that Stewart Downing who was recently released by Blackburn? I assume he would be the kind of player we could all agree on, and certainly not a divisive figure like many in our current squad.

I see him as a potential fans favourite across the board, especially with over 50's who will love his attitude to 50/50s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
57 minutes ago, Brunners said:

we

aren't

going

to

buy

wingers

It's more than okay to ask for creative options but the sooner you stop asking for wingers the happier you will be. We need creative options that can operate centrally. A true number 10 for one.

Jeez this is some Stockholm syndrome ***! Just because its how it is doesnt mean accepting that facr should make us any happier.

We could easily have gone with wingers - this rubbish about us basing the squad around what we have suiting this system best doesn't wash with me. 

Warnock has signed 5 players (i include Johnson in that because he was out of contract and his wages could have went to another free signing instead). Pressumable he's going to sign at least one more striker and one more centre back. 

If warnock really wanted to play a 433, he could have easily done so with 5 new signings (lw, rw, lb, rb, cb) never mind another two on top of that. Given we've spent a decent amount (akpom and morsey fees, bettinelli won't have come cheap), I dont see why we couldn't have managed that.

Were going with the 532 out of choice, not out of necessity. 

3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Jeez this is some Stockholm syndrome ***! Just because its how it is doesnt mean accepting that facr should make us any happier.

We could easily have gone with wingers - this rubbish about us basing the squad around what we have suiting this system best doesn't wash with me. 

Warnock has signed 5 players (i include Johnson in that because he was out of contract and his wages could have went to another free signing instead). Pressumable he's going to sign at least one more striker and one more centre back. 

If warnock really wanted to play a 433, he could have easily done so with 5 new signings (lw, rw, lb, rb, cb) never mind another two on top of that. Given we've spent a decent amount (akpom and morsey fees, bettinelli won't have come cheap), I dont see why we couldn't have managed that.

I dont think Brunners is saying anything different, it just seems fairly obvious that Warnock thinks we would need too many players in (i.e. two full backs and two wingers) and he doesnt think its achievable. So he has committed to a different path

I dont agree with Warnock's thinking and would at least hope we tried to get those players in but it does seem counterproductive for fans to expect us to sign wingers when Warnock has been very upfront about that not being the plan

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I dont think Brunners is saying anything different, it just seems fairly obvious that Warnock thinks we would need too many players in (i.e. two full backs and two wingers) and he doesnt think its achievable. So he has committed to a different path

I dont agree with Warnock's thinking and would at least hope we tried to get those players in but it does seem counterproductive for fans to expect us to sign wingers when Warnock has been very upfront about that not being the plan

The narrative is that warnocks hand has been forced to play this formation but its simply not true. With 7 new players you can readdress the balance of the squad to whatever formation you want. 

The decision seems to be on the basis that we have wing backs - but they've been our weakest players to so far. So far, the logic seems to be very flawed.

9 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

To go 433 effectively you likely need two LW & two RW because we have none. You'd still need a 3rd striker too, so there's 5 signings just to make the bloody formation work. 

Whereas you can play 352/532 with what we had already, even without Johnson, without any tinkering at all. Yes, there are questions over the quality of our wingbacks, all entirely valid concerns, but that doesn't change the fact that you'd need a huge overhaul of the squad to play 433, while 352 you can just work to improve on what you have.

2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

The narrative is that warnocks hand has been forced to play this formation but its simply not true. With 7 new players you can readdress the balance of the squad to whatever formation you want. 

The decision seems to be on the basis that we have wing backs - but they've been our weakest players to so far. So far, the logic seems to be very flawed.

Not to mention the fact that if we were signing players for the 433 at the pace we are signing them atm, we would have had a preseason playing a formation the players we had at the time weren't terribly suited for, and would be trying to slot in important first team players once the season had already started. 

That's more of a recipe for disaster IMO than deciding to go the 352

9 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Maybe the players he wanted in those positions didnt look achievable? I agree that we should and probably could have took a different path but dont have the best record of securing players