oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

1 hour ago, Will said:

Given the recent news of fans returning being pushed back even further it's going to significantly effect the clubs financial situation. Not sure now's the time to be whinging about lack of signings.

Given the situation and what it means for the clubs finances, being in this league and still having a club next year will be considered a success for me.

Maybe a little dramatic?  I don't think we need to worry about not having a club next year and I'd be massively disappointed if we found ourselves relegated this season as well.  I think we'll be ok on both fronts 👍

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

If we don't sign anyone else, we have a first XI that can go toe-to-toe with any team in the division. We have a couple of rough diamonds like Coulson on our books, and we could fill a subs bench with okay players like Johnson and Saville.

After that, we're relying on kids to get us through a Championship season that may not finish, and will almost certainly not finish with 24 clubs still competing. At least we shouldn't be the next Bury, or even the next Bolton. This is going to be a grim season in all sorts of ways, so let's see what Warnock can achieve with the players he's got and maybe the odd PL loanee - ideally another CB and another CF.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Maybe a little dramatic?  I don't think we need to worry about not having a club next year and I'd be massively disappointed if we found ourselves relegated this season as well.  I think we'll be ok on both fronts 👍

Mate we absolutely have to worry about not having a club next year. Half the championship, if not more, has to worry about it, not to mention all the clubs in the leagues below. If we don't get fans back this year clubs will go bust and we're likely one of them.

The season will finish.  If it is played entirely without fans then it will still finish.  I don't think it will be played entirely without fans though.  They'll reach a point where either the virus is dealt with, a vaccine/cure is developed, or we just live with it like flu or whatever.  I think a certain reality might set in around Christmas time if we are still seeing lots of measures and people will go into the new year demanding changes.  We'll see though.

11 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Mate we absolutely have to worry about not having a club next year. Half the championship, if not more, has to worry about it, not to mention all the clubs in the leagues below. If we don't get fans back this year clubs will go bust and we're likely one of them.

No, I don't think that's the case, mate, honestly. Ticket money is a decent chunk of our revenue but it is a relatively small amount of money to have to find - £6m or so I think.  Sponsorship and commercial will be hit and that's another £6m.  But it's worth remembering that neither of them will be wiped out.  The club has sold 10,000 season tickets already for example.  Some people will get their money back I imagine, but I think a lot will just watch the games on the stream and leave it.  Sponsorship is still in place on shirts and around the stadium, and it will continue to be there while the games are being broadcast.  The amount of revenue generated by both of those will reduce but there will still be some, and then you're just really looking to top up the shortfall.  If people are genuinely worried about the possibility of the club going out of business then I really think you can relax, about that at least.  We'll still be in business this time next year and the year after that as well.

6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54284735

Sports Minister Huddleston also confirmed that non-elite sports, including football below National Leagues North and South, will be able to continue allowing spectators.

That's something, at least.

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

No, I don't think that's the case, mate, honestly. Ticket money is a decent chunk of our revenue but it is a relatively small amount of money to have to find - £6m or so I think.  Sponsorship and commercial will be hit and that's another £6m.  But it's worth remembering that neither of them will be wiped out.  The club has sold 10,000 season tickets already for example.  Some people will get their money back I imagine, but I think a lot will just watch the games on the stream and leave it.  Sponsorship is still in place on shirts and around the stadium, and it will continue to be there while the games are being broadcast.  The amount of revenue generated by both of those will reduce but there will still be some, and then you're just really looking to top up the shortfall.  If people are genuinely worried about the possibility of the club going out of business then I really think you can relax, about that least.  We'll still be in business this time next year and the year after that as well.

Some of our sponsorship deals will have been longer term, too. I suspect we have a few which don't just renew from season to season and are dedicated for a number of seasons. We'll perhaps lose the shorter-term ones but unless there's an easy out for those sponsoring us with long-term deals, which would surely be odd, we might be alright on that front.

10 minutes ago, Brunners said:

So Gibson sanctioned nearly £3m of Akpom, plus another half or three quarter million on wages, but didn’t do any forecasts to see if club could survive if fans didn’t get back this season? I can’t see that being case. Without Covid I am sure he would have spent quite a bit more in the transfer market and the lack of spending is an indicator of him battening down the hatches to make sure we survive the season - and probably longer! If the worst comes to the worst. 
 I’m sure you are right that some clubs will go bust, but I’m sure there will be a lot go under long before we are in that position.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

No, I don't think that's the case, mate, honestly. Ticket money is a decent chunk of our revenue but it is a relatively small amount of money to have to find - £6m or so I think.  Sponsorship and commercial will be hit and that's another £6m.  But it's worth remembering that neither of them will be wiped out.  The club has sold 10,000 season tickets already for example.  Some people will get their money back I imagine, but I think a lot will just watch the games on the stream and leave it.  Sponsorship is still in place on shirts and around the stadium, and it will continue to be there while the games are being broadcast.  The amount of revenue generated by both of those will reduce but there will still be some, and then you're just really looking to top up the shortfall.  If people are genuinely worried about the possibility of the club going out of business then I really think you can relax, about that at least.  We'll still be in business this time next year and the year after that as well.

I am willing to bet that half the league is bankrupt by the end of the season. Clubs already operate at a huge loss & that's with the benefit of gate receipts.

I think we will sign another 2 players before 16th Oct and expect that to be a striker and a CB.

I was listening to a recent Warnock interview from few weeks ago where he said Sanogo was going to be the 4th striker if he had signed. Yesterday i said i expected 4th striker to be an unknown from PL team but am not so sure now. Think it will be a seasoned target man.

Akpom clearly has strength and height but does not strike me as someone you can expect to get his head on end of balls. Maybe Zohore is not dead.

I assume in an ideal world Warnock would have wanted Kieffer Moore and Akpom to go with Britt n Fletch.

“I’m hearing Middlesbrough were trying to not spend lots of money and dial things back, but they’ve just bought Chuba Akpom for £2-and-half million so that doesn’t look to me as if they’re dialling it back. "

A thing I learned today is that Alex Neil's apparently privvy to our transfer business?

As long as we end October without gaping holes in the team we've had a good window, financial considerations for the club beyond that well we've had a spend of just over 7 million in transfer fees over the past year we've not exactly had a huge outlay we seem to be happy letting Britt and Fletcher run their contracts down for frees so on future of the football club front I'm going to guess we're OK.

The problem for National League/L2 clubs is alot of them are running on a 150-200k loss every month right now so without their gates they literally can not survive this.

36 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54284735

That's something, at least.

This bit in that article is great:  'The Premier League said it's clubs are losing £100m a month'.  Somebody should mention to the good people of the Premier League that their clubs are currently running a transfer net spend of £645m, in this summer transfer window alone.  Pwease help us, we're so very pwoor 🙄

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

This bit in that article is great:  'The Premier League said it's clubs are losing £100m a month'.  Somebody should mention to the good people of the Premier League that their clubs are currently running a transfer net spend of £645m, in this summer transfer window alone.  Pwease help us, we're so very pwoor 🙄

Don't get me started on that, mate. I can't understand how the Premier League can justify asking for a similar level of support as those who are at threat of no longer existing. The Premier League will be fine and really, given the nature of the situation and how really, regardless of how the government handles it, there was gonna be some sense of struggle at a certain level and below, I actually agree that it would be nice if the top level lends a hand to help keep those football clubs alive. Otherwise, they're just helping to confirm what some people have thought about the football pyramid in this country for a long time.

50 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I am willing to bet that half the league is bankrupt by the end of the season. Clubs already operate at a huge loss & that's with the benefit of gate receipts.

How much would you like to bet?  £1m, £2m or should we make it interesting? 🙃

I can't speak about other clubs as much without looking at their accounts and doing research but I thought we were talking about Boro anyway?

Championship clubs should/will be making appropriate decisions based on various scenarios.  I'd be surprised if any of them have just cracked on this summer as though there's nothing to worry about.  Looking at some figures it appears that the Championship clubs have a net transfer income of about £130m so far this summer, which is on a par with last year, and much higher than previous years.  I would say that is evidence of the clubs being circumspect because of the virus and it's ramifications.  Total spending is £100m lower, which backs this up.

Edited by Changing Times