oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Don't get me started on that, mate. I can't understand how the Premier League can justify asking for a similar level of support as those who are at threat of no longer existing. The Premier League will be fine and really, given the nature of the situation and how really, regardless of how the government handles it, there was gonna be some sense of struggle at a certain level and below, I actually agree that it would be nice if the top level lends a hand to help keep those football clubs alive. Otherwise, they're just helping to confirm what some people have thought about the football pyramid in this country for a long time.

I think I've said this before on here, the Premier League's ideal number of football clubs in England is 20.  They'd be more than happy if there were no other professional clubs around to get in their way.  In fact, some of them would be happier if it was just 5 or 6 and they could get started on a global league.  Having said all of that, they are the clubs generating the income in this country and they do at least share some of that with the rest, which really they are under no obligation to do (other than a moral one, possibly).  They shouldn't need support in the same way that others do but I'm also not one to tear them down for not doing more for the other clubs as they already do more than they have to.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Ladies and gents, we are not going broke this season. I'm sure our finances are somewhat tight, but there's no way we're spending £3m+ on players in the midst of the pandemic if we're emptying the penny jar. That would be worse money management then the early-mid 80s & earlier, even given our current business flaws there's just no way that we're mirroring anything that short-sighted.

A few other clubs, on the other hand, have plenty to worry about.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think I've said this before on here, the Premier League's ideal number of football clubs in England is 20.  They'd be more than happy if there were no other professional clubs around to get in their way.  In fact, some of them would be happier if it was just 5 or 6 and they could get started on a global league.  Having said all of that, they are the clubs generating the income in this country and they do at least share some of that with the rest, which really they are under no obligation to do (other than a moral one, possibly).  They shouldn't need support in the same way that others do but I'm also not one to tear them down for not doing more for the other clubs as they already do more than they have to.

On a normal day, week, month or year, I'd agree with you pretty much entirely. But we're really living in what is hopefully a period which won't last much longer but could make a huge difference in saving some clubs from disappearing. There are clubs out there who may disappear as a result of this because they can't just budget their way through a situation they never saw coming the way we could survive it, for example.

Nobody in football can be held accountable for not predicting a global pandemic but plenty might suffer as a result of it, so it would be a tremendous gesture of support for English football as a whole if the Premier League could share a bit more for the foreseeable future until they can reasonably generate the revenue that will keep them alive and allow them to budget. That's all it can be though, a gesture. As you say, there's no obligation for it.

We even see in that clip from the Peterborough owner the other day, they're happy to pay it back with interest if needs be because for some clubs, that might be their only option to survive. Whether Peterborough themselves are the best example, I'm not so sure...

3 hours ago, Brunners said:

Mate we absolutely have to worry about not having a club next year. Half the championship, if not more, has to worry about it, not to mention all the clubs in the leagues below. If we don't get fans back this year clubs will go bust and we're likely one of them.

There is no chance that 12 championship clubs will go bust. I don’t even think we are going to see 12 teams combined in the Championship, L1 and L2. We certainly won’t be. If we are even remotely in danger in any scenario there is no chance we would have spent money on Morsy and Akpom and we would actively have tried to flog any sellable player. We’re fine. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Borodane said:

There is no chance that 12 championship clubs will go bust. I don’t even think we are going to see 12 teams combined in the Championship, L1 and L2. We certainly won’t be. If we are even remotely in danger in any scenario there is no chance we would have spent money on Morsy and Akpom and we would actively have tried to flog any sellable player. We’re fine. 

🙄 guess we'll wait and see.

26 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

Sky sports saying that Arsenal and Man Utd will lose close to £200m in game day revenue between them, didn't catch if it was gate receipts or concourse sales included.

Now that's an eye opener.

No surprise when they've got big stadiums with extortionate ticket prices and big global fanbases.

Man United, even wrongly using their very cheapest adult ticket prices (£36) in every one of their near 75,000 seats, would lose out on £51m just from league matches without fans this season. Likely much more considering some of their tickets go for £58 a person.

They'll be absolutely fine, their rich owners and TV money mean it won't make a dent, not in a way that actually matters anyway.

8 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

No surprise when they've got big stadiums with extortionate ticket prices and big global fanbases.

Man United, even wrongly using their very cheapest adult ticket prices (£36) in every one of their near 75,000 seats, would lose out on £51m just from league matches without fans this season. Likely much more considering some of their tickets go for £58 a person.

They'll be absolutely fine, their rich owners and TV money mean it won't make a dent, not in a way that actually matters anyway.

Clubs and Sky are only talking about revenue and are ignoring costs. The only number that matters is net profit from a gameday, and that will be significantly lower. 

53 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

Sky sports saying that Arsenal and Man Utd will lose close to £200m in game day revenue between them, didn't catch if it was gate receipts or concourse sales included.

Now that's an eye opener.

It certainly is, when you consider the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham have to pay the mortgage on their new builds.

United are still trying to negotiate deals for players worth as much as that revenue when they have more than enough quality players in their ranks to survive during this time. If they do somehow manage to negotiate a deal or two in any region of the supposed Sancho fee, they can get in the bin complaining about their lost £110m match-day revenue.

6 hours ago, TAPOUT said:

It certainly is, when you consider the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham have to pay the mortgage on their new builds.

Haven’t arsenal paid off their stadium? Think they did in record time which was also why they have fallen a bit behind as they couldn’t invest as heavily in the squad. 

Sorry to mention transfers, but apparently a few championships clubs are interested in Curtis Jones from Liverpool. 

I know it’s unlikely to happen but that would be a fantastic signing. 

exactly the midfield creativity we have been missing. 

Does anyone know when Premier League clubs need to submit their 25 man squad? Maybe this will be key to our next lot of business.

I can see us bringing in 3 more players, all on load

Striker, Centre Half & ‘Creative Midfielder’

i see Fulham are allowing Kevin MacDonald to leave on a free, sure we’ve been linked before and he sounds like a Warnock type, tons of experience.