oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

1 hour ago, CrazyL said:

We finished 2nd and were promoted in one of these seasons. Leeds top scorer in the Championship last season was Bamford with 17. No other player managed double figures in league goals for them. WBA top scorer in the league got 10. It’s nice to have a 20 goal striker but by no means a necessity.

If you have goals throughout the team then you don't need to rely on one goal scorer.  We don't have that.  Leeds scored 77 goals last season.  We scored 48.  We need about 70 goals from the squad we have, I don't see them myself but maybe others do.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, BegSteeleOrBoro said:

On strikers. Our problem has not necessarily been strikers - we’ve had lots of class strikers over the time period mentioned, from Yakubu, Hasslebaink, Viduka, Boksic to poachers with good record like Rhodes, Boyd and Britt. The issue has been - and continues to be - creating good chances. How many class attacking midfielders have we had in the past decade? Look how the correlate with our goals scored. With Rav we had Juninho, with Ricard we had Gazza (almost got an England recall), and with Bamford we had Ramirez. Most of the time we have not had a true attacking midfielder - maybe excluding Zenden (who was class but didn’t contribute as many goals/assists as I thought). 

We desperately need to take a chance on an attacking player who actually creates chances, can dribble and takes men out of the game. They are rare and cost money, but it’s better to have one that raises the value of the players around you - rather than keep buying expensive strikers and selling them for a massive loss when they suddenly (and apparently surprisingly) stop scoring when they get few chances.

I wouldn’t say no to the attacking player you describe, but you cannot have 2 chances on a plate in the 6 yard box, like today and blame creativity.

• Like 4
Just now, Tobermory said:

Wiki says 12.

Of those 12, 3 played for Brentford, who didn't get promoted.

I agree it helps, but having 1 decent striker does not a promotion team make.

my point is it helps, massivley,

ill make one final point on this cause im sure nobody else is intersted,

over the last 10 championship seasons, if you had a 20 goal a season striker, you had a 50% chance of promotion, if you have a 15 goal a season striker, you have a 20%, if you dont have either your chances of promotion drops  to  7/8% (yes i worked it out). 

so your twice as likely to get promoted with a 15 goal a season striker than without, and twicw as likely to get promoted with a 20 goal a season striker compared to a 15 goal a season striker.

or put another way

without 15-20 goal player 10/1
with 15 goal/ 5/1

with 20+ 2/1

not saying its impossible and teams clearly do it, but the stats dont lie, your chances of getting promoted massivley increace with a goalscorer in the squad.

2 hours ago, TAPOUT said:

I read your post as frustration that even when Britt has been given 2 chances within the 6 yard box, with only the keeper to beat, he has needed a third or possibly fourth such chance to score. Hopefully we will get another striker in with a physical presence up top to give Warnock options. You cannot deny Britts workrate this season, but whilst he is supposedly our main man I have accepted we will not be in the mix for the play offs. People say we dont create enough, but if Roberts had set those chances up they would be saying he was just what we need. He isn’t, we need a striker that can put those chances away.

See, I don't agree with this.  Assombalonga's two chances today weren't sitters.  The second one certainly wasn't with a defender all over him and the first one I just don't think he expected.  He should have expected it though, so that one I do place the blame on him. 

We don't create enough.  If you HAVE to take one of the few chances you get then you aren't creating enough, it's as simple as that.  We don't create a lot of good chances, we create the odd one during a game, and if we don't take it then we struggle to score.  We still seem to be completely reliant on crosses into the box, and hoping the opposition doesn't defend it well enough, or that the cross is so good that we are presented with a great chance.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, tmcc said:

my point is it helps, massivley,

ill make one final point on this cause im sure nobody else is intersted,

over the last 10 championship seasons, if you had a 20 goal a season striker, you had a 50% chance of promotion, if you have a 15 goal a season striker, you have a 20%, if you dont have either your chances of promotion drops 7/8% (yes i worked it out).  so your twice as likely to get promoted with a 15 goal a season striker than without, and twicw as likely to get promoted with a 20 goal a season striker compared to a 15 goal a season striker.

I'm sorry, I think that is correlation, not causation.

Having a 20-goal a season striker is indicative of the team working. Yes the player needs to put the chances away, but every part needs to work, a well-drilled defence, a midfield that can destroy and create and strikers that put away chances.

I don't disagree with you, I just think you're simplifying things.

In my view, what we need right now, is a plan, not a 20-goal a season striker.

• Like 2
Just now, Changing Times said:

See, I don't agree with this.  Assombalonga's two chances today weren't sitters.  The second one certainly wasn't with a defender all over him and the first one I just don't think he expected.  He should have expected it though, so that one I do place the blame on him. 

We don't create enough.  If you HAVE to take one of the few chances you get then you aren't creating enough, it's as simple as that.  We don't create a lot of good chances, we create the odd one during a game, and if we don't take it then we struggle to score.  We still seem to be completely reliant on crosses into the box, and hoping the opposition doesn't defend it well enough, or that the cross is so good that we are presented with a great chance.

the problem i have with britt isnt, he isnt an all round player, hes a poacher, the type of player that should only need 1 chance, not 3/4. if he was playmaker/ dribbler type who created also you'd cut him some slack, but hes a out and out old school poacher he dosent offer much else other than goals. the two chances today wernt easy, but id expect better with both chances.

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

You dont have to agree CT. If you dont think a centre forward should score with a one on one with the keeper in the 6 yard box, thats fine. If he has 2 such chances,I do. In his fourth season he is just confirming to me that we need something different.  As I said on a previous reply, if you need to create 3 or 4  One on one chances for your centre forward to score each game you are going to struggle.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

I wouldn’t say no to the attacking player you describe, but you cannot have 2 chances on a plate in the 6 yard box, like today and blame creativity.

I don’t disagree with that, he should score today. But if you are discussing 15 goals in a season then you have to look past the goals scored/chances created on a single day (unless it’s a very good day!).

I’m not a big fan of Britt as a striker - misses too many easy chances - but I’m not going to blame him alone for our inability to score goals over the past few years.

• Like 1
Just now, BegSteeleOrBoro said:

I don’t disagree with that, he has to score. But if you are discussing 15 goals in a season then you have to look past the goals scored/chances created on a single day (unless it’s a very good day!).

I’m not a big fan of Britt as a striker - misses too many easy chances - but I’m not going to blame him alone for our inability to score goals over the past few years.

I agree with that. I dont blame Britt completely. He puts in a great deal of work, especially this season. I do think that with a greater physical presence up top we can be more effective. As it stands, Long term though I do not think Britt is an answer to the problems we have. Maybe that will change if we get a unit up top, but as it stands I dont see his contribution to the club as being indispensable.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, tmcc said:

the problem i have with britt isnt, he isnt an all round player, hes a poacher, the type of player that should only need 1 chance, not 3/4. if he was playmaker/ dribbler type who created also you'd cut him some slack, but hes a out and out old school poacher he dosent offer much else other than goals. the two chances today wernt easy, but id expect better with both chances.

No striker in the world needs just one chance though, so that's completely unrealistic.

Edited by Changing Times
  • Like 3
12 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

You dont have to agree CT. If you dont think a centre forward should score with a one on one with the keeper in the 6 yard box, thats fine. If he has 2 such chances,I do. In his fourth season he is just confirming to me that we need something different.  As I said on a previous reply, if you need to create 3 or 4  One on one chances for your centre forward to score each game you are going to struggle.

I don't think he was one on one in the way you mean it, albeit I think he should have anticipated the first chance, and he quite clearly didn't.  We don't have to create 3 or 4 one on one chances for him to score. I'd be amazed if there were many games in the time that he's been here that we've created 3 or 4 one on one chances for the entire team, never mind him alone.

• Like 1

In fairness to Assombalonga, he seemed well aware that he'd fluffed some big chances in his post match interview.

I don't think anyone could argue that he hadn't put the effort in either.

He should have done better with the chances he had, but he put a shift in today.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I don't think he was one on one in the way you mean it, albeit I think he should have anticipated the first chance, and he quite clearly didn't.  We don't have to create 3 or 4 one on one chances for him to score. I'd be amazed if there were many games in the time that he's been here that we've created 3 or 4 one on one chances for the entire team, never mind him alone.

We certainly are not a side that creates numerous chances each game, which makes it more important when we do we convert what chances come our way. Britt has shown that he cannot convert enough, if we have aspirations for the play offs in my opinion. If we add something different up top he may well do. Everyone sees the game differently, but I think he should have converted one of his chances today. I dont know how easy a chance he needs. I think today gave Warnock food for thought. When we went 433 we were more dominant. Perhaps that may give Britt the more clear cut chances he needs, though in my opinion they dont get much more clear cut than today.

• Like 1