oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

If we did sign Williams I think he'd offer good competition for Spence, he'd also offer us flexibility in terms of him being comfortable playing in a more advance position.

Think there would be question marks about him defensively as in my opinion he is an offensive minded player. But if we are sticking to the wing-back formation, I think we sacrifice some defensive duties in our wingbacks and emphasise the offensive duties. He has the potential to come in and be much more productive offensively than Spence has/is.

Just now, TeaCider24 said:

Spence needs competition

Agree, I didn't think he would at the start of the window, due to having Howson and Dijksteel being able to play there. But as you say, Dijksteel moving into central defence and Howson being utilised in midfield, we are short of a right wing-back.

Also think due to Spence's form so far this season having competition may spur him on to perform better.

8 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Spence needs competition, to be honest, there's nobody else to play there bar Howson because of our CB shortage.

That's ignoring that Spence has been largely poor for a while too.

I can't see why people are trying to make him into a wing back already. We have been moaning about getting at least one winger as an alternative way of playing and he is certainly an out and out winger to fit our needs. Anyway don't worry folks he will sign for Peterborough anyway. Then after a season or so we won't be able to afford him.

On 9/28/2020 at 7:03 PM, Changing Times said:

! 🤑

I am probably going to get shot down here but I am hoping we can sign a centre back and have a back 3 of Hall, Fry and new guy and then Dijksteel and Coulson as the wing backs.

I like Spence and fingers crossed he keeps developing but at moment i think Dijksteel is a better all rounder than Spence.

• Like 2
Just now, thatoldchestnut said:

I can't see why people are trying to make him into a wing back already. We have been moaning about getting at least one winger as an alternative way of playing and he is certainly an out and out winger to fit our needs. Anyway don't worry folks he will sign for Peterborough anyway. Then after a season or so we won't be able to afford him.

And very few fans

I'm not sure he'd be much good as an outright winger either right now.

The biggest criticism of Spence is his delivery/end product, and he still needs that as a winger. QPR scored from an awful attempt at a cross by Spence.

1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'm not sure he'd be much good as an outright winger either right now.

The biggest criticism of Spence is his delivery/end product, and he still needs that as a winger. QPR scored from an awful attempt at a cross by Spence.

No sorry. I was meaning this la from Exeter and I attached my comments to the wrong part of thread. 

12 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I am probably going to get shot down here but I am hoping we can sign a centre back and have a back 3 of Hall, Fry and new guy and then Dijksteel and Coulson as the wing backs.

I like Spence and fingers crossed he keeps developing but at moment i think Dijksteel is a better all rounder than Spence.

We are probably a centre back short as is, if we start playing Dijksteel out on the right that then leaves us another centre back short. I think it may be easier for us to sign a right wing-back than it is 2 centre backs.

Definitely not an unpopular opinion, I'd rather have Coulson in the team than Johnson and I think you're right about Dijksteel I think he could be an effective right wing-back.

8 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

No sorry. I was meaning this la from Exeter and I attached my comments to the wrong part of thread. 

I think the fact that we seem to be going down the route of using a formation that requires wing-backs, added to the fact Williams has played that position for Exeter, probably means he'll come in with that position in mind.

1 minute ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I think the fact that we seem to be going down the route of using a formation that requires wing-backs, added to the fact Williams has played that position for Exeter, probably means he'll come in with that position in mind.

Well from YouTube he doesn't look a wingback to me and more a poor man's Patrick Roberts. But of course I have been wrong before.

3 hours ago, Brunners said:

Well if we can't beat out two league 1 clubs for him I'll be very sad.

based on some news on the hull and posh side

hull - the player is talking to 2 clubs

posh - they did not reach an agreement with Exeter

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Well from YouTube he doesn't look a wingback to me and more a poor man's Patrick Roberts. But of course I have been wrong before.

During those play-off games, Exeter lined up with a back 5, with Williams as a right wing-back. During the games though Williams was a much more advanced wing-back compared to his counter part on the left and at times he was operating almost as a right winger. So much so that the right side centre half would drift into a traditional right back position, when Exeter were attacking.

This season Exeter appear to be lining up with a back 4 rather than 5. And they seem to be playing Williams as a right winger. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

based on some news on the hull and posh side

hull - the player is talking to 2 clubs

posh - they did not reach an agreement with Exeter

Well, lets hope this is some legit information and he picks us.