oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Wait... so we're playing a left winger at left wing back and looking to sign a right winger and we want him to play right wing back? Yet we don't have the players to play a system with wingers/it would take too many signings to play that way? Now I'm really confused.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Wait... so we're playing a left winger at left wing back and looking to sign a right winger and we want him to play right wing back? Yet we don't have the players to play a system with wingers/it would take too many signings to play that way? Now I'm really confused.

we;re going to follow the trend and play 3-4-3 

• Like 1

According to TransferMarkt, he’s a left footed right winger.

Don’t know much about him though, but got to give him a chance and could be a shrewd signing.

We are still interested in Roberts but will only be on a loan. 

8 minutes ago, uncle_rico said:

According to TransferMarkt, he’s a left footed right winger.

Don’t know much about him though, but got to give him a chance and could be a shrewd signing.

We are still interested in Roberts but will only be on a loan. 

Fingers crossed on Roberts.

A CB, 4th striker and Roberts and i will be buzzing.

I will even take a CB and Roberts and use latter as a no.10 in a 3.5.1.1 at times.

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Why?

Why Roberts over a 4th striker? Because i feel Roberts would offer more than a 4th striker would who i anticipate will be somewhat of an unknown.

Plus Roberts offers us a plan B which we don't have.

2 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Why Roberts over a 4th striker? Because i feel Roberts would offer more than a 4th striker would who i anticipate will be somewhat of an unknown.

Plus Roberts offers us a plan B which we don't have.

No, why would you be buzzing with a 4th striker, a CB and Roberts?  Why would you take a CB and Roberts?  How do they improve the current side?  

Just now, Changing Times said:

No, why would you be buzzing with a 4th striker, a CB and Roberts?  Why would you take a CB and Roberts?  How do they improve the current side?  

Well i explained what Roberts would bring. I think he could be our Tomlin or Gaston when we are struggling to break teams down with that bit of magic.

As far as CB is concerned i think its very clear we are short there given we are playing 3 at back. Currently that 3 consists of a RB by trade and currently our most threatening midfielder in Paddy. An additional CB would help improve back line and the midfield as it would hopefully push Paddy there

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Well i explained what Roberts would bring. I think he could be our Tomlin or Gaston when we are struggling to break teams down with that bit of magic.

As far as CB is concerned i think its very clear we are short there given we are playing 3 at back. Currently that 3 consists of a RB by trade and currently our most threatening midfielder in Paddy. An additional CB would help improve back line and the midfield as it would hopefully push Paddy there

I see, so McNair moves into midfield and replaces maybe Saville.  The new central defender comes in and replaces McNair and Roberts comes in and plays instead of one of the strikers, let's say for argument sake that it's Assombalonga.  You think this team is worth buzzing about?:

Bettinelli

Spence - Dijksteel - Hall - New CB - Johnson

Morsey - Howson - McNair

Roberts

Fletcher/Akpom

I don't see anything worth buzzing about tbh.  That's not meant as a dig, but I don't see what 4th strikers or extra central defenders do for this team.  If you also bring in Roberts and he plays instead of a striker then you're simply removing opportunities for the striker or strikers you sign.  Does Akpom play if you sign Roberts and stick with this formation?  I'm guessing not, so what's the point exactly?

6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I see, so McNair moves into midfield and replaces maybe Saville.  The new central defender comes in and replaces McNair and Roberts comes in and plays instead of one of the strikers, let's say for argument sake that it's Assombalonga.  You think this team is worth buzzing about?:

Bettinelli

Morsey - Howson - McNair

Roberts

Fletcher/Akpom

I don't see anything worth buzzing about tbh.  That's not meant as a dig, but I don't see what 4th strikers or extra central defenders do for this team.  If you also bring in Roberts and he plays instead of a striker then you're simply removing opportunities for the striker or strikers you sign.  Does Akpom play if you sign Roberts and stick with this formation?  I'm guessing not, so what's the point exactly?

I was not actually advocating Roberts starts every game. I feel in some games he would be better come off the bench and in some games starting. But having Roberts would certainly improve us as we currently are. As would a proper CB to go alongside Fry and Hall.

We definitely need another CB I think, especially with Hall hurt now. 

I quite like the look of this winger, honestly. blah blah league 2, but 5g 14a is pretty outstanding so I'd be interested to see if he could step up - providing the cost is right, of course. Can't see us forking out much.

I'd quite like us to look at getting Roberts back, simply because he's the only player we've had since Adama who excited me when he got the ball. Particularly in those first few games before he got the injury, and I'm hoping that the drop off in his performances post-lockdown can be put down to that same injury.

It doesn't necessarily have to be him, but we seem a lot more likely to sign him than we do any other player in a similar mould, and he does have something about him that no-one else in our functional, cautious team really does. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Bettinelli

Morsey - Howson - McNair

Roberts

Fletcher/Akpom

I mean, we do have to acknowledge that this team and squad is quite far away from being something we'd be buzzing about, mate. 😄

Me, I like the idea of bringing in Roberts and a new CB on loan. I think Roberts offers us something different to what we have, which in midfield areas I think we are in need of and I just think we need someone to cover CB as we've lost a few of those options this summer, for a team that wants to play with 3 at the back especially. Who that CB would be is anyone's guess to be fair, could be a young lad looking for some game time, could be a more experienced head who wants a bigger role than a bit-part one in the top flight, whether they come into the team at the expense of anyone else is really dependent on who it is.

One of the big problems I see with our squad right now is that there's not a lot on offer to change the way we play, especially in attacking areas and especially during matches when we need to give the opposition something different to think about. Even looking at the Akpom signing so far, I'm glad the lad got a goal but I've not seen much different in terms of what he offers against Britt or Fletcher, so if we're playing 2 of those 3, presumably Britt starts every game as he's captain, and you swap Fletch for Akpom or the other way around, what's actually changing? Whereas if you take off one of them for Roberts, for better or worse the plan certainly changes. And maybe, if this elusive 4th striker also joins up he might offer something different to the 3 we've got, I certainly hope so.

Now whether Warnock makes that change to change the game plan is another thing entirely. He's not exactly jumping at the chance to make changes when something isn't working. The Watford game still sticks in the mind as you watch the wing-backs falter whilst two of them sit on the bench but I guess you could consider that maybe he wanted to make tactical changes as opposed to like-for-likes.