oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Well we've just dropped 3mil on a striker. So that means one of two things -

A) Gibson has been extremely wreckless and gambled with the future of the club for chuba akpom.

Or 

B) there are more factors at play beyond what the Northern echo are aware of from some very basic financial figures. 

I can bet my house on it not being option a, for all of gibsons flaws, he has always known when to cut back to secure the clubs long term future, often at the expense of the fan support he craves so much. 

So that leaves option b - which is why I'm not concerned about our club being at any risk of going under. I dont think there are many championship and below clubs that can say the same though. 

• Like 1
Just now, Neverbefore said:

A) Gibson has been extremely wreckless and gambled with the future of the club for chuba akpom.

Or 

B) there are more factors at play beyond what the Northern echo are aware of from some very basic financial figures. 

I can bet my house on it not being option a, for all of gibsons flaws, he has always known when to cut back to secure the clubs long term future, often at the expense of the fan support he craves so much. 

So that leaves option b - which is why I'm not concerned about our club being at any risk of going under. I dont think there are many championship and below clubs that can say the same though. 

I suspect we've probably done a lot of our spending under the assumption we would have had fans back in from this weekend. If we're operating under the assumption that we are going to start receiving some matchday income again, and suddenly it's yoinked away from you, it changes everything.

Just now, Brunners said:

I suspect we've probably done a lot of our spending under the assumption we would have had fans back in from this weekend. If we're operating under the assumption that we are going to start receiving some matchday income again, and suddenly it's yoinked away from you, it changes everything.

But that assumption was never a guarantee. And gibson knew that. So again it comes down to whether you believe gibson would gamble the future of the club for a 3mil signing. I absolutely do not believe that and I dont believe we would have been operating under those assumptions at all.

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

But that assumption was never a guarantee. And gibson knew that. So again it comes down to whether you believe gibson would gamble the future of the club for a 3mil signing. I absolutely do not believe that and I dont believe we would have been operating under those assumptions at all.

The plan was to have fans back in from this weekend and while it wasn't a guarantee, it looked pretty confident that it would go ahead until almost the very last minute, they scrap it the week before fans are meant to be back.

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

Could it be a good time to invest in players has clubs might be more willing to sell at lower fees

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

The plan was to have fans back in from this weekend and while it wasn't a guarantee, it looked pretty confident that it would go ahead until almost the very last minute, they scrap it the week before fans are meant to be back.

Mate if you thought it looked pretty confident you've not been paying attention! For the best part of two months things have been declining, areas are having local lockdowns enforced, various different restrictions and rules are coming and going. If anyone is operating under any assumptions that the government isn't going to change their mind about 90% of their own policies on a daily basis then they deseeve everything they get. Gibson will not have been so naive.

2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Mate if you thought it looked pretty confident you've not been paying attention! For the best part of two months things have been declining, areas are having local lockdowns enforced, various different restrictions and rules are coming and going. If anyone is operating under any assumptions that the government isn't going to change their mind about 90% of their own policies on a daily basis then they deseeve everything they get. Gibson will not have been so naive.

They were literally just trialling fans in stadiums 2 weeks ago. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Or 

that was before the government decided to stop the trials and commit to having no fans coming back to be fair

6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

They were literally just trialling fans in stadiums 2 weeks ago. 

Whats your point here? It was a trial, the clues in the word! There was never a guarantee and anyone operating their business under those presumptions is doing so in an extremely irresponsible way.

3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Whats your point here? It was a trial, the clues in the word! There was never a guarantee and anyone operating their business under those presumptions is doing so in an extremely irresponsible way.

The plan ALL summer was to have fans back in as early as 3rd October. That has been the message literally ALL summer, up to the point that they were running trial runs in preparation for it. If you can't see that it might have had an effect on transfer business, you're being wilfully ignorant.

11 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I'm with @Neverbefore on this, mate. Should be no expectation from anyone in businesses that operate by getting people through the door that, heading into Winter, things weren't going to get worse again. Anyone with any other expectation is off their rocker.

These trials you're talking about mean very little when it's the state of the whole nation that is driving restrictions, not the state of virus transmission at football stadiums. So it's as he's said, either Gibson has taken a risk and spent money we might not have or we're not actually in as much trouble as some other clubs could be in.

Whether football agrees with these restrictions or not, I think the idea we were gonna have uninterrupted access to fans through the gates this season was fanciful at best.

• Like 2

I think it was pretty much a generic comment by the newspaper. Anyway in about 17 days time we will know as nobody at the club itself is saying anything. I believe little that the Gazette says as they are in the business of selling newspapers and it doesnt have to be facts from the club.

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

The plan ALL summer was to have fans back in as early as 3rd October. That has been the message literally ALL summer, up to the point that they were running trial runs in preparation for it. If you can't see that it might have had an effect on transfer business, you're being wilfully ignorant.

I'm not being wilfully ignorant, you are.  In the last 6 months you can cite dozens of things that have changed at the last minute due to government decision making - this was always on the cards given the way every single other aspect of this pandemic has been handled. Health experts world wide have been warning of an autumn/winter spike since the beginning. Of course any business will have taken this under consideration, it would be mental not to. Just because they said that the goal was to have fans in the stadium on a certain date months ago doesnt mean you can rely on it, the picture is changing daily and it will continue to do so.

• Like 5