oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

18 hours ago, ScarBoro said:

If there’s no rescue from Premier League - and they do seem to be coming round to view that they need to do something - then just about every club in Championship will either break FFP rules ( if their owner is willing to pump enough money In) or will go bust ( if owner is not willing or able to put money in). Pretty sure FL will take view that breaking FFP rules is least of worries. In any case, if the clubs want to change the FFP rules they can do and the only reason they don’t currently is that the majority of owners  want to put some brakes on those that want to spend their way to Premiership. If enough need to break rules to survive, then the rules will get changed.

i do wonder how safe rule is  that says  players wages are preferred creditors if a club goes into administration and if you don’t pay them in full for whole of their contract then you go out of league. Up to now it has also acted to deter clubs from over spending ruinously, but if a few clubs go out of business and it looks like more are going to, then that rule might get changed to help clubs restructure and survive. Even the players must get that for most of them tearing up a contract and agreeing a new one on half the wages is better than getting nothing and having to look for a new club - where you will probably be offered less than half your old wages. Obviously some players would benefit from being a free transfer effectively, but probably Less and less the way things are going.

According to the Times, the PL are demanding the EFL back them against the FA over proposed restrictions for signing young international players and post-Brexit overseas player quotas.

Guess they're worried they won't be able to keep filling their squads with cheap overseas talent and might actually have to use their academies for their intended purpose. 

Not sure how they can make those sort of demands, as surely our continued ability to sign overseas players will depend entirely on the details of the deal negotiated by the government. I would have thought it was out of the FA's hands.

Anyway, it seems they're willing to open their wallets for the EFL...with strings attached. Seeing figures of £200-250m, depending on which paper you look at.

Still pales into comparison with the estimated £1bn PL teams have spent on transfers this season...despite the loss of income.

Can't say I know much about Buur. Didn't impress me when he was at AGF and they didn't extend his contract but then again he was very young and raw. From what I remember he was energetic and had pace. From a Wolves fan on a danish forum I can understand that he has developed steadily at the club and has gradually worked himself into the first team squad. Probably wouldn't be a bad move to get him here and I'm certain he would jump at the chance to get more first team football. Playing wingbacks like wolves also do often will be a bonus.

3 minutes ago, CrazyL said:

Books need to be balanced - need a couple out before a couple come in I heard.

Someone like Buur is probably not on more than 5k at Wolves, so that's hardly a big strain on the finances even if we have to pay 100%. Do we even have any players that can be moved out? Wing or Saville are probably the onæy two I can think of as we can't really afford to lose anyone else unless it's youth like Walker etc.

Neil Warnock is still hopeful Middlesbrough can make one or two more signings before the end of the transfer window but has admitted there will be financial restrictions.

Boro have until October 5 to sign players from foriegn clubs while the domestic window is set to close on October 16.

“We are still looking to bring players in,” said Warnock ahead of Saturday’s game against Barnsley at the Riverside.

“I’m sure we’ll be able to bring one or two more in before the end of the window. I thought we could get one in before the weekend but it doesn’t look like that will happen.”

Boro have signed four players this summer with Grant Hall, Marcus Bettinelli, Sam Morsy and Chuba Akpom joining the club.

Warnock has repeatedly said his squad is thin and would like to bolster his options, yet the current financial landscape has taken its toll throughout the EFL.

Last week’s decision to postpone the return of fans to football stadiums will force many clubs to reassess their transfer plans in the next few weeks.

"I would love another three or four players but the financial situation, I think it’s a difficult situation for owners now,” added Warnock.

"I think we just need that one extra player who can change things and then persevere until January to see what the situation is."

Warnock will return to the dugout this weekend after testing positive for COVID-19 and being absent for Boro’s last two Championship games against Bournemouth and QPR.

• Thanks 1

Under the circumstances I think that we would have to consider any serious offer for anybody? (I haven’t been told this I’m speculating) At the same time there are saleable players that it would be easier to manage without than others. Pears is one. And if we are overloaded anywhere it would be midfield.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, KeithLambsFaxMachine said:

Howson?

Would anyone take Howson or Britt, considering the current financial situation?  From the article above, when he says someone who can change things, that sounds like a 'Roberts' type player.  If we could get someone like that in on loan and see where we are in January, the window will have been okay.