oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

I'd be going 3-4-3 personally. Roberts as a deeper lying 10 with a bit of a free role to float into wider areas and free The Ass / The Ak / Fletch to make runs and find space. McNair on the right with his recent creativity and decent delivery, Dijksteel linking the defence to the midfield. Easily morphs into a 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 even without subs, so we could adapt during the game easily. 

Screenshot_20201002-112534__01.thumb.jpg.533e6a3bbc54ba8e43cd381a564d5dff.jpg

If we had a LB who was solid defensively, 4-3-3 would look far more balanced. With Johnson, Coulson, or Bola as the options though the WB system still seems the most logical. 

24 minutes ago, Tobermory said:

There are some who believe he has been less awful at LWB.  But at LB he was directly responsible for at least 2 goals conceded, but my memory is awful so there could be way more.

It's weird because I actually have better memories of Johnson playing left-back/left-wing-back for Woodgate. He actually started really well under Woodgate on the wing, compared to most the rest of them anyway. Then he was doing okay at wing-back until that silly red card against Hull at the Riverside.

8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It's weird because I actually have better memories of Johnson playing left-back/left-wing-back for Woodgate. He actually started really well under Woodgate on the wing, compared to most the rest of them anyway. Then he was doing okay at wing-back until that silly red card against Hull at the Riverside.

he started that season pretty well, some good deliveries into the box when playing higher up the pitch but his concentration levels and temperament seems really off at LWB/LB. I dont even think ability is the issue, he just switches off or goes into rash challenges far too often

Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

he started that season pretty well, some good deliveries into the box when playing higher up the pitch but his concentration levels and temperament seems really off at LWB/LB. I dont even think ability is the issue, he just switches off or goes into rash challenges far too often

He doesn't have the positional sense for it so he's constantly having to recover.

Whenever he is in position, he has a weird habit of showing people inside, rather than down the line like you usually would as a fullback.

43 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I'm happy with Roberts coming back but he really needs to learn when to release the *** ball. Too many times he tried taking on one man too many or running into blind alleys.

That said he does have the ability to change a game and he is a pain in the *** for defenders, perhaps with Britt being captain he might get shouted at to pass the ball a bit more 🙂

I thought Roberts looked great when he first arrived, but when he came back after his injury with the team struggling, he looked like the only one likely to create, but was maybe trying a little too hard.

Coming back in now, without the pressure of an end of season relegation battle, I think we might just see him at his best.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Brunners said:

He doesn't have the positional sense for it so he's constantly having to recover.

Whenever he is in position, he has a weird habit of showing people inside, rather than down the line like you usually would as a fullback.

that should be something you can train into a player though but I am not convinced he has the temperament not to switch off and then dive in on someone

I think anyone suggesting we play a system with 3 central defenders is vastly over-rating our availability at wing back. That system demands a perfect balance or you end up all over the place. It's not easy to play. Our wing-backs do not have the technique or intelligence for it, and putting players like McNair or Howson out there is a total waste.

We should sign a LB as a priority. We don't have a good one. It could really transform the team.

120655906_4288385594521602_8794009956924225387_n.png.5b4e199c6416b3471b076b558074036d.png

At the moment I'd go with something like this. It's not ideal. Coulson isn't solid defensively, and Akpom is definitely not a natural number 10. There's some argument to be made that Akpom goes wide and Tavernier comes in the middle. But I think that's our best bet of organising our defence/midfield.

McNair is our most creative central midfielder and he should be played there. Morsy can hold and break up play. Dijksteel has come on leaps and bounds and is our best RB option by some distance. Coulson can get forward and overlap Tavernier.

Unfortunately I fully expect us to carry on playing Johnson and Spence as wing-backs and for us to pump it up to the top 2 in hopes of a lucky bounce. Alas.

• Like 2

QPR sign Bonne from Charlton.

Dont think we were ever in for him but Warnock did say we enquired about a charlton player that was not Phillips and Bonne name was mentioned on here as the player we might have asked about.

Anybody proposing a line up that doesn’t include Morsy is barking up the wrong tree I think? I reckon he’s a certainty for that holding role in front of the back 4/5 once he’s right up to speed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

buzzing roberts coming back. give us that different dimension and no surprise tav has dropped off since he left. them two really linked up and played good stuff round eachother. got to had roberts involved he is so keen to get on the ball. play him right side tav right of the 3 cm's and akpom and britt center wit hakpom coming in from the left. hes more of a wide forward anyway that greek lad said didnt he?

akpom---------britt

----------------------------roberts

---------morsy----howson-----tav

---------------------------------------dijksteel

newlb?-----paddy -----fry

howson can dropp off to cover the marauding dijksteel, tav and roberts probing from the right. leaving the space on the other side of the pitch so the switch to akprom who is busy and mosry covering across and dictating play. i like it.