oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

Would take mcmanaman off that list

For what purpose? He is likely to play in the same positions as Tav or Roberts and he not better than either of them so I dont know what he would bring.

I'm sorry Ben Liddell has gone. 

He has been impressive for the junior sides.  I was actually hoping that Warnock would get his hands on him and talk him into making the transition from junior to senior.  We have been notoriously bad at achieving this transition over recent years.  It is definitely time this issue was addressed otherwise we are spending a lot of money pointlessly.

It does not seem to matter how many age group England caps they gain if they do not transition from Junior to senior then there is little point in having an academy.

Having said that I do wish the lad well and I hope that he does "make it" what ever his / our opinion of "making it" may be 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Rishworthian said:

He has been impressive for the junior sides.  I was actually hoping that Warnock would get his hands on him and talk him into making the transition from junior to senior.  We have been notoriously bad at achieving this transition over recent years.  It is definitely time this issue was addressed otherwise we are spending a lot of money pointlessly.

It does not seem to matter how many age group England caps they gain if they do not transition from Junior to senior then there is little point in having an academy.

Having said that I do wish the lad well and I hope that he does "make it" what ever his / our opinion of "making it" may be 

I understand were your coming from but its not just down to the club and managers. Its more down to the players imo. Its not like we dont gove olayers a chance in the 1st team. Look at our squad now. Pears. Fry. Wood. Coulson. Spence. Wing. Tavernier. And there has been plenty before them and they will be plenty after. Hes 22. A few i have mentioned are younger than him and they have took there chance. Sometimes players arnt good enough. And i think thats the case with Liddle. I hope im wrong but i cant see him playing much for bristol rovers and i cant see him playing at this level ever again. He went on loan last season to scunthorpe. Started the 1st game. Got dragged at half time and never featured again. Good luck to the lad but as a percentage i dont think boro make many mistakes when releasing youngsters 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Rishworthian said:

I kinda agree we haven't been very good with producing central midfielder's particularly. As we had Bryn Morris he was the captain for England in many age groups. Never got anywhere is at Pompey now though I guess.

I was disappointed when we let Bryn go too.  He did however have a couple of problems mainly that he was not very mobile and also at times he didn't seem to know what he was supposed to be doing.  His retention of the ball was outstanding.

They did try him in several positions and that may have not helped but I saw him playing for England a couple of times and there his play was masterful - he was running the show.

Why could we not get that out of him in a Boro shirt ?  It seems a fair question.

Danny, I take your point but we are not playing many of the guys you mention out of the current squad.  Fry has returned to being the Fry of old and very good he is too ( most of the time)  Woody is knocking on the door but its not opening much - not enough Senior experience  .......  where's he supposed to get it from ?  how old was Mowbray and co ?  where did they get their experience

Coulson cannot get a game as Warnock thinks he's something he's not.  Wingy has done ok but now cannot get a game ! etc. etc.

Spence looks idle and inept but he's not.  He does struggle with what he's supposed to do at times and his defensive  positioning does need some hard work but he's quick enough to get round that

Is it the players ?  is it the coaches ?  we probably cannot ever know completely but it is the players livelihoods and the clubs success.  They have to be their absolute best to make sure the club is

I think if a lad comes through the Academy and is able to pursue a career in League football at any level, then we have to regard it as a success. Every so often, we unearth someone that stands out, but I would like to think we are amongst the best at producing quality youngsters at this level. The big fish obviously get the pick of the youngsters from all over the world, but we have had three or four lads reach international level in the last twenty years or so and I am struggling to remember anybody who has done that from Newcastle or Sunderland in that time. Somebody better at research than me will probably be able to come up with a rough figure, but I would be surprised if there aren't twenty or so Academy products still earning a living in English or Scottish football 

• Like 3