oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

2 hours ago, CWC said:

Am I really seeing people turn their noses up at Danny Rose? It was only a few years back he was deemed the best left-back in the country and Man City were bidding upwards of 40m for him. I must say I can’t see it happening but come on, he’s country miles better than anything we have and probably better than most in the league.

I think it’s more people worrying about how he’d take having to come here and drop a league and wether he’d perform. Personally I’m confident warnock could get him firing and hope it happens. 
I do think as soon as other clubs got wind of it he would end up at Watford or Bournemouth, unless he really does want to be close to home.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

1 hour ago, LinoJo3 said:

I think it’s more people worrying about how he’d take having to come here and drop a league and wether he’d perform. Personally I’m confident warnock could get him firing and hope it happens. 
I do think as soon as other clubs got wind of it he would end up at Watford or Bournemouth, unless he really does want to be close to home.

I would guess those clubs are already aware of it.  Tottenham must have been shopping him around everywhere trying to get shot of him for ages.  They are going to have to take a substantial hit to do that and I guess that Levy has been unwilling to do that.

2 hours ago, boksicdink said:

So I made my initial comment a bit tongue in cheek because of how poor Johnson is and you've seemed to take it way beyond that or failed to see it as the comment it was meant to be. I'm not going to comment beyond this as it's gone way past what I intended but I will say that:

- If you think a good manager is going to say in public that someone he needs to get something out of "is sh*t" then that isn't very good management in any walk of life. 

- With Warnock, his actions speak much louder than words and the fact that he is trying several clubs for a LB tells you he doesn't think Johnson is the answer and yeah he might be back in Bola on Saturday but the fact that Bola started that game is telling in my opinion as Bola has been nowhere near the team. 

- How does that relate to Spence? Well firstly, Spence is and has always been a defender unlike Johnson. Secondly, this adds more weight to the above as Spence has been poor too. So much so that Tav started the last game ahead of him. The reason why I don't think you are seeing us linked to any RBs is because Tav played well enough in that game to secure that position.  

- You put way too much stock in modern day footballer's squad numbers, Rui Patricio wears #11 (OK he cant wear #1) but you get my point, just because he has #11 doesnt mean he is going to play LW or is viewed as a winger. 

If you cannot see the Howson correlation then that's fair enough, I'm not saying that i'm right and you are wrong but I think Johnson was a short term fix at LB and the fact that we are being linked with several LBs tells you the same and he probably won't be viewed as a LB/LWB going forward. 

I'm not saying he should have called him ***, I'm saying he called him excellent because that's what he saw in his performances and he's played left-back or left-wing-back every game he's played under Warnock. Those final 7 or 8 games of last season, Warnock thought he was excellent and so he wanted him to stay, got him to sign a new deal and gave him the #3 shirt. Some of those factors are less important than the others, like the squad number, but it takes some level of mental gymnastics to take all that information and decide Warnock never actually saw Johnson as a left-back or that he'll never play at left-back again because we're now trying to sign a new one. He didn't need to sign Johnson if he didn't think he was a good left-back and I can't see why he would have signed him at all if that wasn't his thinking when offering him a new contract.

Bear in mind also that, as far as I can tell, these links to signing a left-back are pretty new. Throughout the summer we've been linked to wingers, centre-backs, strikers, keepers, but no full-backs until Baba Rahman and Danny Rose. I sincerely hope this isn't that Warnock has just decided Johnson is rubbish now and to be honest, I would prefer him to play further forward if he's going to play as I think he did alright there for Woodgate. I don't think it changes the reasons we re-signed him, though.

50 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm not saying he should have called him ***, I'm saying he called him excellent because that's what he saw in his performances and he's played left-back or left-wing-back every game he's played under Warnock. Those final 7 or 8 games of last season, Warnock thought he was excellent and so he wanted him to stay, got him to sign a new deal and gave him the #3 shirt. Some of those factors are less important than the others, like the squad number, but it takes some level of mental gymnastics to take all that information and decide Warnock never actually saw Johnson as a left-back or that he'll never play at left-back again because we're now trying to sign a new one. He didn't need to sign Johnson if he didn't think he was a good left-back and I can't see why he would have signed him at all if that wasn't his thinking when offering him a new contract.

Bear in mind also that, as far as I can tell, these links to signing a left-back are pretty new. Throughout the summer we've been linked to wingers, centre-backs, strikers, keepers, but no full-backs until Baba Rahman and Danny Rose. I sincerely hope this isn't that Warnock has just decided Johnson is rubbish now and to be honest, I would prefer him to play further forward if he's going to play as I think he did alright there for Woodgate. I don't think it changes the reasons we re-signed him, though.

Well i'm glad my tongue in cheek comment and opinions based on the manager's actions are now officially classified as "mental gymnastics" as opposed to someone who firmly believes that a player wearing a squad number in 2020 is a sign of being a manager's first choice player for a position that the number used to be associated to in the 90s. 

You do know that the player's pick their own numbers right? You think Klopp made TAA keep #66 last season because Clyne was his first choice RB and therefore had the #2 shirt?

You do also know that Marvin Johnson was desperate to stay here and wasnt offered a new deal until after the season had ended? Not really the situation a player finds himself in when the manager really rates them and wages arent the issue. 

Are you also aware that we phoned up Baba Rahman's agent asking about it rather the other way round? That's not the actions of a manager who has "an excellent LB" in a world with limited cash. 

Who knew that me saying "I hope you are not counting Marvin Johnson as one of your three LBs" would become such a joyless debate with someone incapable of seeing that the original comment was supposed to be a joke. 

Edited by boksicdink
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Premier League clubs can't sign players from other Premier League clubs this week can they?  But they can sign players from the Football League?

Yeh that's right

44 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

Well i'm glad my tongue in cheek comment and opinions based on the manager's actions are now officially classified as "mental gymnastics" as opposed to someone who firmly believes that a player wearing a squad number in 2020 is a sign of being a manager's first choice player for a position that the number used to be associated to in the 90s. 

You do know that the player's pick their own numbers right? You think Klopp made TAA keep #66 last season because Clyne was his first choice RB and therefore had the #2 shirt?

You do also know that Marvin Johnson was desperate to stay here and wasnt offered a new deal until after the season had ended? Not really the situation a player finds himself in when the manager really rates them and wages arent the issue. 

Are you also aware that we phoned up Baba Rahman's agent asking about it rather the other way round? That's not the actions of a manager who has "an excellent LB" in a world with limited cash. 

Who knew that me saying "I hope you are not counting Marvin Johnson as one of your three LBs" would become such a joyless debate with someone incapable of seeing that the original comment was supposed to be a joke. 

Nah Warnock’s going to line the team up  from numbers 1 to 11, he’s old school like that, it will make it a lot easier for opposition managers to work out our starting lineup  

1 Marcus Bettinelli

2 Anfernee Dijksteel 

3 Marvin Johnson

4 Grant Hall 

5 Sam Morsy

6 Dael Fry

7 Marcus Tavernier

8 Lewis Wing 

9 Britt Assombalonga 

10 Chuba Akpom

11 Ashley Fletcher 

There’s your team, no room for those Irish lads or Howson. 

Edited by BillyWoofs_shinpad
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

You seem very keen to make out the squad number thing to be bigger than I've made it and I've no idea why. It's the icing on top of the rest of the cake that's been served. In some cases, it does matter. I think in this situation it only emphasises the rest of the points I've made but it's great that you seem to think the points I've made live or die on his #3 shirt number, because it seems to be the only point you can actually counter.

28 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

You seem very keen to make out the squad number thing to be bigger than I've made it and I've no idea why. It's the icing on top of the rest of the cake that's been served. In some cases, it does matter. I think in this situation it only emphasises the rest of the points I've made but it's great that you seem to think the points I've made live or die on his #3 shirt number, because it seems to be the only point you can actually counter.

I'm more than happy to, I just went for the most obvious one that you mentioned in every message you sent upto now. 

What would you like me to counter?

Is there anything you like to counter from what i've said because i'm interested to see how acrobatic you are.

Perhaps you can focus in on why we are ringing round LBs in PL? Or why you are unable to take a tongue in cheek comment as it is meant to be taken?

Edited by boksicdink

I believe if Rose comes it's so he and Tottenham can put him in the shop window for a January move. So he will want to perform so can get a bigger move, Spurs be prepared to pay the bulk his wage if it means he is playing and not sulking in their u23s on massive wage's. So it is kinda win win he will be the most talented LB in this league by far and if we utilise his crossing for Britt, Fletcher and Akpom to get goals we are sorted 😁. In the meantime it takes pressure of Coulson, Bola etc so they can get prepared for January when they may be needed

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Does that include players who might be released from their contracts this week?  Could a player be released from a Premier League club and join another one?

Don’t believe so. Think they had to be released from contract during the window (Wilshere, Welbeck for example)