oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Just now, scotty189 said:

If he wants to come to us though, surely he'll just reject other offers

It's a loan signing though.  If someone offered Everton 50% of his wages and we offered 20% then they might say there's no way he'll come here unless we increase our offer.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Just now, Changing Times said:

It's a loan signing though.  If someone offered Everton 50% of his wages and we offered 20% then they might say there's no way he'll come here unless we increase our offer.

It's up to both him and Everton. They could say no and have to pay 100% of his wages, he could say no and not be able to play football for another few months.

Admittedly, in these circumstances, the chances are he's likelier to move than not move and if that means accepting where Everton are willing to send him and others offer more money than us then yeah, I think we'll struggle to get him here. If he puts his foot down and says only Boro, which I wouldn't say is particularly likely but who knows, then I think Everton will send him here eventually.

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It's up to both him and Everton. They could say no and have to pay 100% of his wages, he could say no and not be able to play football for another few months.

Admittedly, in these circumstances, the chances are he's likelier to move than not move and if that means accepting where Everton are willing to send him and others offer more money than us then yeah, I think we'll struggle to get him here. If he puts his foot down and says only Boro, which I wouldn't say is particularly likely but who knows, then I think Everton will send him here eventually.

Yeah, I'm just thinking if they got a much better offer they could decided that they'd rather take the risk of the extra £14k per week in order to try and get say £35k per week off the books.  

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

He's on £70k per week mate.  I think it's safe to say that getting him here will take some serious negotiation with Everton, never mind him.

And thats is exactly my point, surely we don't get to the final few hours on deadline day and realise that his wages are more than half of our first team collectively? There's brinkmanship and there's brinkmanship but he hasn't kicked a ball for Everton in two years hence my exasperated frustration. If I had a pram right now there would be doll carnage!

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah, I'm just thinking if they got a much better offer they could decided that they'd rather take the risk of the extra £14k per week in order to try and get say £35k per week off the books.  

I’m finding it hard to see how Blackburn or Milwall could pay more than 20% of his wages either tbh 

Just now, Redcar Rioja said:

And thats is exactly my point, surely we don't get to the final few hours on deadline day and realise that his wages are more than half of our first team collectively? There's brinkmanship and there's brinkmanship but he hasn't kicked a ball for Everton in two years hence my exasperated frustration. If I had a pram right now there would be doll carnage!

But we're not going to pay his wages.  The negotiation would be over what proportion of them we'll pay.

1 minute ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Everton aren't in a rush though, longer they wait, more desperate some teams might get, more money they can get.  Nothing in it for Everton in getting it done early. 

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

But we're not going to pay his wages.  The negotiation would be over what proportion of them we'll pay.

If say we are willing to go up to £20K on wages so as not to break our new wage "ceiling" after jettisoning expensive deadwood and permacrocks in the summer then the discussion should be relatively straightforward. £10K, £15K and then £20K as our final contribution and we walk away not wasting our time, Bolasie's time and Everton's.

Other clubs have got deals done, maybe its because we get involved in chasing the most difficult, awkward or complex recruits. After Bolasie's last no show I would have made it a very quick and concise enquiry this time round.

Just now, Redcar Rioja said:

If say we are willing to go up to £20K on wages so as not to break our new wage "ceiling" after jettisoning expensive deadwood and permacrocks in the summer then the discussion should be relatively straightforward. £10K, £15K and then £20K as our final contribution and we walk away not wasting our time, Bolasie's time and Everton's.

Other clubs have got deals done, maybe its because we get involved in chasing the most difficult, awkward or complex recruits. After Bolasie's last no show I would have made it a very quick and concise enquiry this time round.

It's a business negotiation mate.  Everton ideally want us to pay 100% of his wages.  We ideally want to pay 0% of his wages.  We need to find where the point is that both clubs are happy and Everton are going to wait in case a better offer comes in most likely.

6 minutes ago, macapes said:

Everton aren't in a rush though, longer they wait, more desperate some teams might get, more money they can get.  Nothing in it for Everton in getting it done early. 

In case Everton have missed the news this week clubs outside of the Premiership may not be in existence come the next Transfer Window. No Championship club except perhaps Derby and Wednesday would countenance a player on £75K a week. The extra £5K that they "might" get could just as easily mean they end up stuck with him doing nothing on those wages. Ultimately if the Player doesn't want to go to Club A or B then he can sit it out. If he wants to play football then his agent could have got things moving earlier. I'm not convinced that signings at this stage are done with total commitment from either party.

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

It's a business negotiation mate.  Everton ideally want us to pay 100% of his wages.  We ideally want to pay 0% of his wages.  We need to find where the point is that both clubs are happy and Everton are going to wait in case a better offer comes in most likely.

This is what held up the Betenelli deal. It’s a negotiation between the clubs until they reach a %age acceptable to both.