oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

I think Gibson would be happy enough with us being a midtable championship club for the foreseeable future, if it doesn't mean him having to put his own money in. 

• Haha 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

I honestly think that the Bolasie deal is a bullet dodged. When was the last time he was any good? It was before that injury at Everton for definite, which is about 4 years ago now. Patrick Roberts is a signing out of the two we needed to make and we got it done. 

On Baba, it sounds like he was playing a high risk high reward game from what i've heard. Right until the end he was trying to force Watford's hand, so I don't think the club are entirely to blame for it falling through.

It does sound like the club is pretty inept though and I think Gibson needs to look a bit closer to home why this stuff seems to always happen to us. 

But I don't think it is a total disaster. There are some good free agents out there who are probably starting to get a bit nervous so we can still get something sorted. 

The thing is Middlesbrough are not gonna sign a truly proven quality winger are we. Every player we sign is inexperienced or comes with baggage. 

• Like 1

There maybe better value for money in the free agents list. Why spend money on a loan player when you could spend similar on a free agent who will be yours for more than 1 season. 

Oumar Niasse wouldn't be a bad signing as backup/competition to fletcher/akpom 

Obita as a left back. 

Maybe even Borini to play on the left instead of bolasie. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

The thing is Middlesbrough are not gonna sign a truly proven quality winger are we. Every player we sign is inexperienced or comes with baggage. 

Problem is we are not the attractive option anymore, we aren't in the Premier league, we can't pay big money either, so they types of players we can attract are lower league, or players with baggage. Just got to get used to it. I don't like it as much as the rest of us but it is what it is. 

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

I think Fletcher already released that himself or words to that effect 🙂

We'll sign a striker from those players out of contract no doubt.

It's weird though that we wanted wide attacking players or creative players and we signed everything but until Roberts and then when we lost a striker for months we tried to sign a wide attacking player instead.

Ah but did we really try CT?😐

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

I think Fletcher already released that himself or words to that effect 🙂

We'll sign a striker from those players out of contract no doubt.

It's weird though that we wanted wide attacking players or creative players and we signed everything but until Roberts and then when we lost a striker for months we tried to sign a wide attacking player instead.

My suspicion is that the striker who is top of our list is a free agent, and so we were focusing on Bolasie yesterday. If things had moved around and a better striker than we one we are interested in became available, we'd have gone for him. But it was never a disaster on that front.

The 5 realistic strikers we could target.

1. Fabio Borini (seems set for Swansea mind)
2. Oumar Niasse
3. Duncan Watmore
4. Mendez-Laing
5. Adama Diomande - Ex Hull striker who was at Los Angelas FC recently. Scored 20 in 44 for them with 11 assists.

As said Niasse could be decent for 3mths. I have a feeling Watmore will come here on trial and we will offer him a short term deal.

I think everyone is frustrated because we’ve seen signs of a very decent, well balanced and well organised team coming together, and we are probably a couple short of being a play off contender. Considering where we were this time last year that has to be seen as progress. We have one of the best in the business at finding hidden gems so hopefully we can pick up a couple of free agents - there are plenty of them about, and the manager will get the support he needs from the chairman and CE.

2 hours ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

🤬. I saw this on twitter Herbie Kane

Harry Wilson

Harvey Elliott

Jack Marriott 

Anthony Knockhart 

All moved deadline day. Boro in the past would have had them all. Anyone of them would have been a great addition. Now i understand finance's are definitely tight at our club but we must have some money kicking around to still be active yesterday and now in the free agent market.

Jack Marriot has hardly set the championship alight, Knockaert is back working with his old manager, coming off a poor season personally and on a high wage, Herbie Kane is a central midfielder, Harry Wilson is back home in Wales and Cardiff are playing a £1.2m loan fee plus 60k a week, Harvey Elliot could have been a shout but he's a 17 year old and hardly seems a Warnock player

• Like 1

I am quite pleased with the window. It looks like a pote tial free CF still to come. I am not sure how people realistically expect us to extend our wage bill too much when we are trying to negotiate a bail out with the Premier league. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One certainty among the possible explanations regarding Bolasie's deal falling through is that we've got a comprehensive and jaw dropping track record of messing up transfers due to incompetent people behind the scenes. As Gibson's primary aim is to retain power within Middlesbrough FC, incompetency from the likes of Bausor and Gill is accepted so long as they're loyal to him. Gibson's conservative, dictatorial approach has resulted in us drifting backwards for more than a decade as we continue to lose more and more ground to the progressive, forward thinkers who have overtaken us despite being smaller clubs than us. The toxic culture at the top of the Club terrifies me. I'd much rather we employed people who were excellent at their job first and foremost - not a bunch of incompetent "yes men" who prop up an even more incompetent man in Gibson.