oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

19 hours ago, tmcc said:

not when 2 of our 3 strikers are out till janruary. guess the question is if akpom is is injured, would you rather has a youth player leading the line or free transfer striker.

Plus we might be looking at offloading those strikers who could leave for free in the close season

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Boroinredcar said:

Plus we might be looking at offloading those strikers who could leave for free in the close season

Sure, I think we should look at buying a striker in January, I just don’t think there is the quality available amongst the available free agents to make much of a difference over the next couple of months. Best to wait. 

Moukoudi saying he'd be happy to come back to Middlesbrough and he loved his time here. 

I'd get him back in January, but we might be okay if Hall's injury has fully healed and nobody else gets a knock.

1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

Moukoudi saying he'd be happy to come back to Middlesbrough and he loved his time here. 

I'd get him back in January, but we might be okay if Hall's injury has fully healed and nobody else gets a knock.

He's still got 3 years on his contract at St Etienne, can't see them being in too much of a hurry to sell.

6 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

He will be buzzing, he loves nothing more than seeing us fail

That and criticising karanka and the Spanish contingent at any possible opportunity. 

• Like 1

Doesn't  look like anything will be happening until January. Warnock in the Gazette quotes as saying:

"At the moment I don’t think it’s realistic to do anything, we just have to hang in there and see what happens."

It would be madness to bring someone in at this stage for the sake of two months. As NW has said there is a reason why they are free agents, Niasse as an example has been an expensive non scoring flop for Everton. No doubt he would want a three year contract along with his agent getting a handsome pay day and then we are stuck with him as we were with Gestede on high wages with zero return. If they are willing to take a seven month contract until the end of the season then maybe but that brings us back to who we can afford or indeed would want. I'd be happy giving Browne a chance as a Striker for example rather than get landed with another expensive dud.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

It would be madness to bring someone in at this stage for the sake of two months. As NW has said there is a reason why they are free agents, Niasse as an example has been an expensive non scoring flop for Everton. No doubt he would want a three year contract along with his agent getting a handsome pay day and then we are stuck with him as we were with Gestede on high wages with zero return. If they are willing to take a seven month contract until the end of the season then maybe but that brings us back to who we can afford or indeed would want. I'd be happy giving Browne a chance as a Striker for example rather than get landed with another expensive dud.

While there is a lot of sense in that, there is still 15 games between now and 2. january. That's a huge amount of games and if we are serious about a playoff that period could make or break our chances with just a couple of injuries. We shot ourselves in the foot by not bringing anyone in when we knew Fletcher was out for months and we are now stuck between a rock and a hard place. But I also understand the reservations about signing some out of form player who is going to take week to get up to speed.

You say two months, but there are 15 games in those 2 months. After the international break it's 2 matches a week for 5 weeks straight.

That's a third of the season relying on two strikers staying fit in an incredibly congested fixture list, with one having only just recovered from injury as is.

I can understand why we're not signing one due to finances, but it's going to take some juggling to keep ticking along.

It's nice to be comfortable but affordability now is a real issue for clubs who probably like most of us thought the world would be back to normal or at least normalish come October. We can only bring in free agents and I'm not seeing a clamour from any club trying to sign them. Last season we had Assombalonga, Fletcher, Gestede and from January, Lukas Nmecha.

The latter two hardly set the world alight and bringing in more of the same seems utterly pointless to me unless they are going to be of significant value. Nmecha managed 11 appearances in 6 months and 0 goals. Gestede managed 48 appearances in 3 years contributing 5 goals. We definitely don't need any more of that level of "ability", one of our young lads could't do any worse that's for certain.

Expectation levels by Players and their Agents I imagine are still at unrealistic levels. They are probably like Investment brokers at the minute and hopeful of brighter days ahead, hopefully sooner rather than later. Players, Agents, Clubs all holding out for when the future is more predictable with an element of certainty. We have Fletcher, Akpom and Assombalonga albeit Fletcher is crocked which isn't much different to just having Gestede as back up before Nmecha came along for what little value he added.

Ideally we would have another one in the squad but it is getting close to this time last year when Woodgate actually won a Management award because he had to play the unknown kids. If it comes down to it we can do the same and as most of those from last year are now established in the squad it didn't work out too badly.

There is a degree of doubt on here about whether or not SG does actually put a million a month into the club. Whatever the accuracy of that it's an absolute certainty that someone is having to have very deep pockets at the minute to keep any club afloat outside of the Premiership.

• Like 5

Over the last few years he hasn't been putting a million a month in.  Right now, he/we will have to be able to fund the loss of income.  If the business can't do that then the bloke who owns it will have to.  Walker shouldn't have been allowed to go out on loan, if he's deemed to be the best of the younger lads.  Three senior strikers and younger players to supplement that should be more than adequate for us, especially when you have other players who can play as a second striker/behind the striker.