oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

I agree with the view it’s not worth signing a crap freebie on the off chance we need them in the next two months. If we really think we’ve only got two strikers to call on then it’s another good reason to switch to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Over the last few years he hasn't been putting a million a month in.  Right now, he/we will have to be able to fund the loss of income.  If the business can't do that then the bloke who owns it will have to.  Walker shouldn't have been allowed to go out on loan, if he's deemed to be the best of the younger lads.  Three senior strikers and younger players to supplement that should be more than adequate for us, especially when you have other players who can play as a second striker/behind the striker.

The Walker thing does puzzle me. Fletcher had already picked up his injury by that point, and as far as I'm aware, the only player we were close to getting close to the transfer deadline was Bolasie, who isn't a striker. So either there was another one we missed out on that also fell apart late on, or Warnock just thought he wouldn't use Walker however bad things got.

1 minute ago, Tom said:

The Walker thing does puzzle me. Fletcher had already picked up his injury by that point, and as far as I'm aware, the only player we were close to getting close to the transfer deadline was Bolasie, who isn't a striker. So either there was another one we missed out on that also fell apart late on, or Warnock just thought he wouldn't use Walker however bad things got.

I think it was the latter. Probably felt that too much had to go wrong before Walker would get a chance and it was better he just went out on loan. Does anyone know how he has done?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think this is the crux of it, I don't think he fancies Walker at all!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Tom said:

I sort of wondered whether he isn't deemed to be the best of the younger lads so they had no problem with him going out on loan.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I sort of wondered whether he isn't deemed to be the best of the younger lads so they had no problem with him going out on loan.  

I think that as well. Obviously Woodgate seemed keen enough to get him into the side, and 20 is only young, but you'd think if he was going to get a real chance in Warnock's squad, this would have been it.

dont rate walker, not for champo level he seems to dally on the ball to much when i've seen him. his style isnt suited to english football. maybe better luck abroad, because the lad has some really good ability given the time and space.

we have a back up striker in browne. not exactly a direct replacement for the other 3 but he can play there and proven he can compete at league 1 level and seems okay at this level.  i wouldnt be surprised to see him get a run out tonight.  i hope he does, i think he looks like a good player, just needs the chance in the first team, like coulson does.

1 minute ago, Tom said:

I think that as well. Obviously Woodgate seemed keen enough to get him into the side, and 20 is only young, but you'd think if he was going to get a real chance in Warnock's squad, this would have been it.

He doesn't seem like the kind of physical presence Warnock likes.  Britt isn't tall but he's bulky, Fletcher is a decent size, Akpom is over 6ft I think?  Walker seems quite slight/lightweight, which to be fair you might expect from someone of his age and the type of striker he seems to be.  I don't know what the other young strikers on the books are like?

I think having the likes rumarn burrell and isiah Jones coming through, pushing for a first team call up could be what we need. Rather try them until January atleast, before looking at any of those free agent's. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Walker won’t make it I’m afraid. He is one of those junior players that will struggle to make the transition to a decent senior level. Sad but true

You might well be right, but he is still young and sometimes strikers develop later. He isn't a Warnock type player though, so i suspect the reasoning is to send him out on loan to see if he can get regular playing time and either show he can develop and we can use him/get something for him in future, or that he isn't likely to make it at Championship level and we let his contract run  down. U23 side have probably done everything they can for him - he will either sink or show he can swim at league level..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Robin Johnson said:

Walker won’t make it I’m afraid. He is one of those junior players that will struggle to make the transition to a decent senior level. Sad but true

Its a fool who writes youths player off before they've finished developing. Hes just turned 20 ffs.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I wonder who we were going to swap McNair for?

Weren't Celtic interested in him? Maybe it was someone from there.