oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

6 of our first team squad are straight from the academy, given there are only 23 players in it, that's not bad.

You could arguably count Spence and Wing too, though I wouldn't.

Yeah, Fry and Tavernier are two of our best players.  Wood is supposed to be a really good prospect.  Coulson's had some decent moments, albeit not so much this season.  We just sold another one to Blackburn who could easily have been one of our top two goalkeeper's for a long period of time.   That's not too bad overall I'd say 👍 

I know I'm not one to talk about moaning or complaining about things, but I really don't get why people seem so quick to go after the younger lads.  Not necessarily all of them like blanket criticism but they tend to focus in on one at different times.  Spence has been getting it recently and I noticed a bit about Coulson, who has barely played this season.  Fry was last season,  along with Pears actually.  Tavernier got some grief the season before.  If Wood ends up getting a run in the side, and makes mistakes, then he'll be the next one.  And he almost certainly will make mistakes as that's all part of a young players development.

• Like 3

Walker Is 20 years old. If he is going to have a career at Championship he needs to have really shown something by now. If you are considered surplus to requirements at our club whose striking options are poor to say the least it does tend to indicate he hasn’t much of a chance with us. It’s a shame but we’ve seen it so many times before where young players simply don’t make the grade

• Confused 1
Just now, Robin Johnson said:

Walker Is 20 years old. If he is going to have a career at Championship he needs to have really shown something by now.

Danny Graham was 23 before he started making a name for himself at Championship level. Walker might not make the grade here but he wouldn't be the first to leave as a young lad and then come back into the Championship so I've no idea why you're writing him off because he's 20 years old.

4 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Walker Is 20 years old. If he is going to have a career at Championship he needs to have really shown something by now. If you are considered surplus to requirements at our club whose striking options are poor to say the least it does tend to indicate he hasn’t much of a chance with us. It’s a shame but we’ve seen it so many times before where young players simply don’t make the grade

he's not had enough competitive league games to progress. Was improving at MK Dons last season and seams to have strated well this year. 

Personally, I'll hold judgment until the end of this loan

Guys it is unrealistic to expect the whole of the academy to make the grade at Boro.

I must admit that I expect there to be a regular flow of debutants.  With Woodie in charge that tended to happen.  However Warnock and Pulis before him tend not to blood the young lads.  I'm not quite sure I understand why.

I'm sure quite a lot of the lads in the academy when they get England or other country call-ups think they are going to "make it".  That in itself leads to a belief that it will happen in some individuals.  They therefore become at risk of "switching off" and not taking on board the things they need to learn.

Having said all that I still think that not providing the pathway to the first team squad will lead to their necessary improvement being sidelined to other ambitions

2 minutes ago, Rishworthian said:

Guys it is unrealistic to expect the whole of the academy to make the grade at Boro.

I must admit that I expect there to be a regular flow of debutants.  With Woodie in charge that tended to happen.  However Warnock and Pulis before him tend not to blood the young lads.  I'm not quite sure I understand why.

I'm sure quite a lot of the lads in the academy when they get England or other country call-ups think they are going to "make it".  That in itself leads to a belief that it will happen in some individuals.  They therefore become at risk of "switching off" and not taking on board the things they need to learn.

Having said all that I still think that not providing the pathway to the first team squad will lead to their necessary improvement being sidelined to other ambitions

Don't think it's necessarily true about Warnock. NW has already said he watched the U23s game against Leeds and was so impressed by one unnamed player he had him called up to first team training immediately.

1 hour ago, Smogzilla said:

I am well aware of the harsh realty that a large percentage of the young lads won't be cut out to make it at the top level, or even league football at all.

What annoys me is when fans write them off based on a 5 minute run out for the 1st team or a dodgy performance here or there. How can you judge a young players ability based on that? 

Take Walker as a good example. The idea that you can say hes not gonna make it based on what we've seen so far is ludicrous. Hes barely played! Hes just secured a good loan deal to a league one club and has already opened his account. Theres definitely time for him to come good.

It’s not about writing his whole career off, just that judging by his games last season he’s simply not ready to be a regular here. As I said a loan was the best move for everyone, it’s up to him now to prove himself and he will get the chance to do that.

Tgeres so much more than just pure football ability, setting up for a game is almost like being in school. Taking mental notes of where you have to be on the pitch during different phases of play etc. If a player decides to take no notice then during the game they will disrupt the whole game plan. No manager will pick them.

There was one player who did an interview a couple of years ago and mentioned a manager who would stop training sessions because a player was a couple of ft away from where he wanted him. I did wonder if it was Karanka he was talking about.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

There was one player who did an interview a couple of years ago and mentioned a manager who would stop training sessions because a player was a couple of ft away from where he wanted him. I did wonder if it was Karanka he was talking about.

Wouldn't be that surprised Pep has a similar philosophy. He told the Barca lads if you pass it to the right place and the player isn't there it's not your fault. He also chastised Henry once even though he scored.

Edit found link to interview

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3277/la-liga/2015/12/25/18690882/thierry-henry-explains-pep-guardiolas-secret-tactic-formula

Edited by GrimsbyBoro
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Wouldn't be that surprised Pep has a similar philosophy. He told the Barca lads if you pass it to the right place and the player isn't there it's not your fault. He also chastised Henry once even though he scored.

Edit found link to interview

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3277/la-liga/2015/12/25/18690882/thierry-henry-explains-pep-guardiolas-secret-tactic-formula

It does make sense because it takes away having even to look up before passing, for a midfielder under pressure that must be a huge help.

But that just shows also how switched on they have to be, if they make a run up the pitch a second too late they will be out of position.

I remember the secret footballer also said a similar thing ages ago. When you see players hit a cross field pass to apparently nobody and it goes out of play, it’s the other player that’s messed up as he was supposed to be there.

• Like 1