oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

14 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

It's worrying just how injury prone Roberts seems to be.

I know we knew that already, but he's only played twice since we signed him and he apparently didn't play on Saturday because his hamstrings were close to going.

Made of glass.

I remember Paul McGrath who was one of the best CB's I've seen but was so injury prone Villa and Man Utd just kept him fit without the rigours of training in case he injured himself. A great career curtailed by the limitations of his body. He probably would have fared slight;y better today with the advances in medical technology and sports science.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I know we knew that already, but he's only played twice since we signed him and he apparently didn't play on Saturday because his hamstrings were close to going.

Made of glass.

It's probably a result of not playing too much the last few seasons. In the 16/17 season he played 47 games for Celtic but after that he's played 18, 21 and 16 games in the three last seasons. Let's hope we can build him up to strength, but you're probably right that his body can't take as much as players like Howson and Saville.

27 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Made of glass.

hopefully the new way of management gives his muscles time to develop safely. 

10 hours ago, p_mards said:

I hope we reignite our interest in Bolasie, especially if we can get him in early so that we don’t take it down to the wire again.

After four seasons of watching our recruitment team resembling headless chickens, I feel in a strange position to be content with how we will approach the January window as I have so much faith in Warnock to make the right transfer decisions, even on a tight budget.

The last couple of years, we've been quite proactive with some of our January signings, especially when it's players that we've tried to get but missed out on in the summer for whatever reason.

Roberts came in last season on January 2nd, and the year before, Van La Parra was already here and ready to sign as soon as the window was open on January 1st.

I hope that the Bolasie situation is the same, and that it's just a case of him signing as soon as he's allowed.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I remember Paul McGrath who was one of the best CB's I've seen but was so injury prone Villa and Man Utd just kept him fit without the rigours of training in case he injured himself. A great career curtailed by the limitations of his body. He probably would have fared slight;y better today with the advances in medical technology and sports science.

Ledley King is a modern day example of Paul McGrath @Redcar Rioja. Never trained apparently as injuries were so bad. Mainly just did swimming during week and then turned in MOTM perfornances come saturday.

I like how we are managing Roberts at moment. Its working nicely and long may it continue.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tom said:

I hope that the Bolasie situation is the same, and that it's just a case of him signing as soon as he's allowed.

If we really are in for Bolasie again then I hope we can strike some sort of agreement with Everton that will allow him to come and train with us before the window opens. Would be great to have him in for a good few weeks so he is ready to play as soon as the window opens. It's not like Everton can use him anyway.

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

The last couple of years, we've been quite proactive with some of our January signings, especially when it's players that we've tried to get but missed out on in the summer for whatever reason.

Roberts came in last season on January 2nd, and the year before, Van La Parra was already here and ready to sign as soon as the window was open on January 1st.

Good point this @Tom. Suppose Bolasie situation might depend on how Watmore does if we sign him. If Watmore does ok might leave Bolasie as we would still need to foot about 10-15k of his wages I would imagine.

2 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Ledley King is a modern day example of Paul McGrath @Redcar Rioja. Never trained apparently as injuries were so bad. Mainly just did swimming during week and then turned in MOTM perfornances come saturday.

I like how we are managing Roberts at moment. Its working nicely and long may it continue.

Is it working nicely?  Has he had much impact on the season really?  He's looked bright at times in both the games he played but he came off before we went ahead against Coventry and against Bristol City we were given our goal.  The team has been getting results without him as much as with him if we are looking at it critically.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, BoroJake said:

The fact that we’ve been delaying it - Warnock said he wanted him but was delaying it until after the international break, suggests every penny is being counted. The strange thing is that If we are trying to save a couple of weeks wages with Watmore, it suggests we won’t have any significant money to spend in January, yet we were supposedly so close to signing Bolasie. Be interesting to see whether this contract for Watmore, if it materializes, is until January window only or for season.

9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Is it working nicely?  Has he had much impact on the season really?  He's looked bright at times in both the games he played but he came off before we went ahead against Coventry and against Bristol City we were given our goal.  The team has been getting results without him as much as with him if we are looking at it critically.

Indeed we have, but he is a good player to have for rotation. We are never going to be able to field the same 11 every game so I'd rather have him for rotation than Ste Walker. Just because he hasn't contributed directly with a goal or assist it doesn't mean that the rotation isn't working nicely as it will allow us to rest others while putting a decent player on the pitch.

4 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I don't think we could remotely afford to renew Fletcher's or Assombalonga's contracts. The ideal would have been to have sold both in the summer and offload them from the wage bill and bring in some cash which is probably one of the reasons that we are now running with such a small squad. Covid stuffed a lot of deals in the summer all over Football and will continue to do so again in January unless there is the magic vaccine available and it shows credible signs to be on the wane Globally.

With contracts expiring the value of the pair of them now is virtually worthless. To me the only reason in making Britt captain was to try and lift his seemingly morose attitude and confidence and who knows maybe add to his attractiveness to a potential suitor through being our Club Captain. Put simply I think NW just tried a lick of polish in a late effort for the shop window.

We could sign five players for the salary that those two are presently on and considering that neither has exactly set the Heather alight during their time here both will be considered a very poor investment. They have had short lived bursts of decent patches during their time here but they have been more often just average or below at best. How many times have they been considered as a Man of the Match for us compared to say, McNair or Howson or even the way Tavernier or Dijksteel are now come to that.

Truth is they can be replaced at much lower cost at better value for money, in other words more consistency and end product. Decent lads undoubtedly the pair of them but losing the small fortune we initially paid for them and then paid again in wages to get zero return is galling. Sometimes you have to walk away from the table rather than keep gambling and hoping.

I would try to bring back Fletcher if possible. I think he can still play a big role on this team but finances will be tight.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

The fact that we’ve been delaying it - Warnock said he wanted him but was delaying it until after the international break, suggests every penny is being counted. The strange thing is that If we are trying to save a couple of weeks wages with Watmore, it suggests we won’t have any significant money to spend in January, yet we were supposedly so close to signing Bolasie. Be interesting to see whether this contract for Watmore, if it materializes, is until January window only or for season.

I was told it was until January and essential pay as you play. 

3 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

Or maybe the club was genuinely worried about his contribution as he's an injury prone player that last got any match practice over 8 months ago. In a perfect world they would have liked a few extra weeks of hard training before offering a contract but have now been pressed to make a decision.

11 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Indeed we have, but he is a good player to have for rotation. We are never going to be able to field the same 11 every game so I'd rather have him for rotation than Ste Walker. Just because he hasn't contributed directly with a goal or assist it doesn't mean that the rotation isn't working nicely as it will allow us to rest others while putting a decent player on the pitch.

Certainly he helps with rotation but he also needs to have an impact on the games otherwise he's just somebody taking up a place.  He's obviously a talented lad but I hope the stop start season he's having doesn't mean he's unable to get into the flow of the season.