oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Why? Genuinely interested because, personally, I think Stoj is much the better keeper.

Stoj positionally is awful. Is he seen as No 1 or is that up for grabs if new keeper comes in?

• Confused 2
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Pears for me has always been too small. Every cross/corner into the box he gets left in no mans land with the ball going straight over his head. Either that or he flaps at the ball. But somehow Stojanovic needs dropping because he flaps at stuff to much?🤔 

Pears really is no better then Mejias. If he was a 300k signing from abroad, there wouldn’t even be a conversation about who the no.1 keeper should be imo. Warnock literally brought him in for 2 games then dropped him again. Says a lot. I wish Pears well, but he won’t be a miss to the team. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, edinboro said:

Stoj positionally is awful. Is he seen as No 1 or is that up for grabs if new keeper comes in?

I think if NW is trying to bring in a keeper of his own, the no 1 would be up for grabs. Just an assumption though.

18 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Yeah the long term vision has gone out of the window again. 

The only thing I might not agree with you on is Pears, I'm not sure he's good enough for this level and if we've got someone better coming through then it makes sense to let him move on. 

Time will tell whether its a good decision or not though.  

I'll agree with you here. With new contracts for young players in the first team; Tav, Coulson, Spence, Wing I'm thinking that we actually want to hang on to our homegrown players. Maybe Pears genuinly didn't want to be here unless he was promised to be first choice, and realistically he is not really good enough for that. There is a lot we don't know as to why he is leaving but to say it's solely the clubs fault is a bit over the top.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RiseAgainst said:

I don't think Gibson is as hands-on with the team as you're making out, barring the occasional foray into Teesside nepotism. I'm also not seeing concrete evidence that the 'cash cow' is open for business, when all we've done so far is sign one free transfer.

Seems a bit unfair to suggest Warnock would automatically cast aside young players so he can waste money giving overpaid cloggers four-year deals. Just because we've been spuriously linked with Joe Hart doesn't mean he'll end up signing for us.

You've alluded to a genuine reason why Pears might want to leave - the prospect of more game time under Mogga - and all the coaching in the world isn't going to persuade him to sit around waiting for his chance. Not every keeper is happy to be in the shadows like Meijas, in the same way not every local player wants to spend their career here. 

Nobody needs to convince him of that if he's actually going to have the chance, which is entirely my point. There's a quality young goalkeeper on our books and we've no intention of allowing him to develop in our team despite the promise he's shown, Gibson's thought process doesn't allow for that. Because development takes time, allows for mistakes and requires long-term thinking... none of which we are actually displaying as a club.

Now whilst you're right and Gibson is not the one making the decision and saying "You're not good enough", he doesn't have to when he hires a manager for a single season with the hope he delivers the big time. That short term thinking means after a year, Warnock goes and we are left with all the long-term consequences of that short-term thinking. So Warnock saying the lad isn't good enough for his promotion charge means we've lost our most promising young goalkeeper in God knows how many years. How is that not through any fault of Gibson?

Time will tell on the cash cow, a lot of what we're hearing is we're able to spend again because we've finally got rid of some of the higher wages in the squad over the past couple of years. And I will be shocked if Gibson doesn't back Warnock with that freedom and try to provide him with the tools he needs to get us promoted this season. In fact, there's also an element of if he doesn't back him, what is Warnock doing here? Even putting the long-term repercussions to one side for a moment, what is he here for if not to get us promoted and if Gibson is really so intent on having him provide that, he needs to provide the tools.

One way or another, if promotion is not achieved this season, this looks bad on Gibson as he's either miscalculated the long-term effects of providing Warnock with a squad in his mould or he's just wasted a year of the club's time in order to satisfy a curiosity of working with Warnock for a full season.

• Like 1

I agree somewhat that it is disappointing when it doesn’t work out with a youth player especially one that we might not even get a fee for however just because he is a youth player doesn’t mean he is also the best available player for us right now. 
We seem to be giving plenty of youth players a chance but also we need a good balance in the team with experience as well, going full youth or full ‘experience’ is both equally as bad. 
Hopefully we can get a better keeper in, Stov can play 2nd and Bryan can start working his way into the setup. 

I also think you will be in a very small group of people who firstly think that Gibson believes promotion is paramount this season under Warnock, and also that will be disappointed with anything other than that. 
An expectation of top 10 with a chance of lower playoffs I think is much more realistic. 

Edited by FamilyBoro
  • Like 1

Personally Pears seems worse than Jason Steele and he never went anywhere. Then stoj does have class shot stopping reflexes, however when balls come into the box he is abit flappy rather punch than catch. So we certainly need a new keeper if want promotion and loads of cleansheets this season. 

7 minutes ago, edinboro said:

An upgrade on the keeper is a absolute must, need a strong commanding figure. The lad from Fulham would be a good shout if there looking to improve,Radak is it. 

Here's the thing about Warnock wanting a keeper, the 2 we've been linked with I don't think look anything special both are smaller than Stoj and no offence to Bass but I've seen Stoj make better saves in the few games he's played than in Bass' supposed best save compilation.

I am curious who Warnock will bring in, whoever it is will be anointed as Warnocks man and automatically be no.1 you'd think. If being English is a criteria for him that narrows the pool out of Phillips, Bass and Hart I'm not sure any scream they're obviously a better GK right now than Stoj.

2 minutes ago, FamilyBoro said:

I also think you will be in a very small group of people who firstly think that Gibson believes promotion is paramount this season under Warnock, and also that will be disappointed with anything other than that. 
An expection off top 10 with a chance of lower playoffs I think is much more realistic. 

Then why is Warnock here? If our aims are just to finish in the top half of the Championship, why is Warnock here? What is he actually doing?

If somebody says he's 'sorting things out behind the scenes', I'll just point everyone back to the last manager who supposedly did that who left just a year ago and already we need somebody else to do it.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Personally Pears seems worse than Jason Steele and he never went anywhere. Then stoj does have class shot stopping reflexes, however when balls come into the box he is abit flappy rather punch than catch. So we certainly need a new keeper if want promotion and loads of cleansheets this season. 

I don't rate Pears and still believe he is learning his trade but by far not as bad as Steele was for us. Steele even went onto being even worse for Sunderland however I think Pears could actually develop under Mogga. 

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Then why is Warnock here? If our aims are just to finish in the top half of the Championship, why is Warnock here? What is he actually doing?

If somebody says he's 'sorting things out behind the scenes', I'll just point everyone back to the last manager who supposedly did that who left just a year ago and already we need somebody else to do it.

Because we were nearly relegated last season and spent more time looking down the table than up. Warnock is here to steady that, balance the team, offer experience and get us moving into the right half of the table. Promotion is always the vision but doesn't mean a season is unsuccessful if it doesn't happen to certain teams.. it has to be relative to the position a team finds themselves in and a cert promotion candidate we are not..... yet. 

• Like 3

I think there’s some sentimentality with Pears, just like there was with Ripley and Steele. Ripley actually did very well when out on loan to L1 teams but hasn’t managed to break into Prestons first team regularly. I thought he showed more than Pears to be honest. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

An upgrade on the keeper is a absolute must, need a strong commanding figure. The lad from Fulham would be a good shout if there looking to improve,Radak is it. 

What about Dillon Phillips from Charlton? most saves in the league this season, without him they would’ve been down long before they actually were. Should be going quite cheap too with Charlton’s relegation. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It would be hilarious if the club came out with that to be fair 🤣

• Like 2
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)