oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/18648456.marvin-johnson-signs-new-deal-middlesbrough/

His contract takes him to the end of next season, but there is understood to be a clause that means it could be extended beyond the end of the 2020-21 campaign.

While he has spent much of his career playing further up the field, Warnock appears to view Johnson as a left-back rather than a left midfielder.

4bbl7u.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

He spoke about this though; he thought Coulson was trying too hard and didn't think he was ready for the pressure of the games. If we weren't close to being relegated I think you'd have seen more of him & I think you'll see more of him this season.

Hope you are right. Him and Spence on either side could make for a much more exciting Boro.

3 minutes ago, "KM" said:

I think I’m in the minority here but I still think Johnson has something to offer if we use him in his correct position.

Yup.  There seem to be some assumptions that, because M Johnson has re-signed, the intention is to play him at left back.  I'm not at all sure that's the case...

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

This is definitely a concern for me, yes. One of, if not our best player last season, best emerging talent at least, and the lad is gonna get shafted by a Warnock setup, royally pisses me off. I think the only hope for him now is in a role further forward and I'm not convinced that's where his best position is. At least it could keep him playing football and developing though, I guess.

Could repeat this for Spence, too.

You cant build a team around a left back thats for sure. So warnock isnt gonna change his system that is proven just to accommodate coulson. Hes definatly not a winger imo. So for me he needs to work on his defending. He looks great going forward from deep but you could see that teams used to target our left back position when him and bola were playing. Theres definatly a player there but hes one of them who hasnt got a nailed down position so most managers will look at him and say the same 

25 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

This is definitely a concern for me, yes. One of, if not our best player last season, best emerging talent at least, and the lad is gonna get shafted by a Warnock setup, royally pisses me off. I think the only hope for him now is in a role further forward and I'm not convinced that's where his best position is. At least it could keep him playing football and developing though, I guess.

Could repeat this for Spence, too.

You cant build a team around a left back thats for sure. So warnock isnt gonna change his system that is proven just to accommodate coulson. Hes definatly not a winger imo. So for me he needs to work on his defending. He looks great going forward from deep but you could see that teams used to target our left back position when him and bola were playing. Theres definatly a player there but hes one of them who hasnt got a nailed down position so most managers will look at him and say the same 

3 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

Hope you are right. Him and Spence on either side could make for a much more exciting Boro.

If I'm wrong I'll be the first to own up, because I want Coulson to play. I just think so far he's explained logically what's gone on, so I'm willing to give him time to see if Coulson does play more in the games now they have less pressure.

19 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

So with the Bolingoli thing that makes it a CB, a LB, CDM, GK, ST and at least 1 winger?

That's 6 players minimum Warnock seems to be wanting, if it's a starting LB he's after and he doesn't want to spend any of the budget on it so he might be best looking for a loan there I guess.

Marvin Johnson is a winger with atrocious output g/a wise and he turns 30 later this year he's already given us his prime years and now hopefully he's a rarely started bench player but for that to happen we'd probably need to sign 2 new widemen. I just think we need fresh faces in but I get it you can't guarantee how many new players you can get so you extend Marvin to be safe with numbers in a worst case he's just so average which might be being too kind...

Warnock said that Marvin is one of the players that he is keen to keep and and one of the players that generaly loves the club so is it possible he might be building a team around him?

Just a theory

28 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Any link to that?

Not an official link. But I was driving to work this morning and Warnock 100% mentioned Coulson as one of our best young players. I’m sure he mentioned another one but my stupid SatNav kicked it and I missed the name 

Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Still couldnt beat Villa, where we were utter *** in both legs.

We ended up just over relying on him anyway

That was all down to Pulis who I’m sure was still trying to keep the goal different down in a knockout match 🤦‍♂️

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-transfer-rumours-rated-18762556

Pears rated as joint likeliest signing for Rovers they say there's a feeling he's reluctant to leave Boro and Boro may only sanction a sale if we bring a new GK in first though.

Another thing that caught my eye is Dillon Phillips, they have his asking price slipped in there at 800k not a crazy fee wonder if he's the keeper Warnock's eyeing?

• Like 1
Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Still couldnt beat Villa, where we were utter *** in both legs.

We ended up just over relying on him anyway

In those two particular games we were the victims of a manager who hasn't got a clue about how to actually win a match. It was so clear Pulis was going for 0-0 in both games. The return leg was especially criminal as it looked like he had forgotten Villa won the first match. Anyone with eyes should have been aware then and there that he wasn't the answer. But then again he worked miracles behind the scenes and set us up for much better times...

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)