oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Just now, Foogle said:

Do we really need Joe Williams though? we've got Wing, McNair and Tav all of a similar age and it's probably the position we need the least.

I reckon we really want to sell one of McNair or Wing preferably MecNair as he is bound to fetch a much higher fee and will be on bigger wages.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Jamie-H said:

Dijksteel we were the only ones willing to pay his price so not him, Bola had interest from Brentford but not a ton of suitors so not him... Saville we bid against ourselves, Monk summer everyone we signed was overpriced only competition was ourselves. So yep struggling to remember the last time actually, maybe Stuani but I'm not sure even on that one.

Still can't get over we offered Moore the best personal terms and he still turned us down I don't know how we win multi club battles unless it's a Warnock ex player or a former player. 

This is how uphill the battle is for us in the transfer window

1 minute ago, Jamie-H said:

Still can't get over we offered Moore the best personal terms and he still turned us down I don't know how we win multi club battles unless it's a Warnock ex player or a former player. 

7 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Anyone remember the last time a story came out where we were competing with xy and z for a player and we ended up getting him?

It's an unfortunate truth that players, by and large, don't want to move to the north east unless they're very well paid to do so. We're always going to be in a battle when 99% of other clubs competing are in far more "ideal" locations.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

It's an unfortunate truth that players, by and large, don't want to move to the north east unless they're very well paid to do so. We're always going to be in a battle when 99% of other clubs competing are in far more "ideal" locations.

Not always..  the right manager and recruitment staff makes a huge difference. Karanka is the last manager we had who had a genuine pulling factor - he was able to get players to sign for us from the continent and from mourinhos Chelsea due to his stature in the game and contacts.

There will be players who want to play for warnock, but they will be limited players who know he can get the best out of them. And so the cycle continues.

Edit - it wasn't just Spaniards or Chelsea players either, he was able to convince domestic players who were in high demand to come too, clayton, chambers being the prime examples. 

6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Not always..  the right manager and recruitment staff makes a huge difference. Karanka is the last manager we had who had a genuine pulling factor - he was able to get players to sign for us from the continent and from mourinhos Chelsea due to his stature in the game and contacts.

There will be players who want to play for warnock, but they will be limited players who know he can get the best out of them. And so the cycle continues.

Edit - it wasn't just Spaniards or Chelsea players either, he was able to convince domestic players who were in high demand to come too, clayton, chambers being the prime examples. 

Was that the same time we had Kenyon and to a degree Mendes working with the club too?

Regarding Ben Gibson

If he comes, it would be on max 20k a week. 
After Clayton, Rudy, Ayala and Friend have left the club, there should be room for it. 

So I look at this farce, this way .. IF, and thats a big if, we get him, it will suit our limits. 

We will bring in others .. But the market is rotten atm ... It's a seller's market and we have to be patient!

Do you think Brum fans are happy, that their only signing so far is Friend? .. Not deemed good enough to play for us anymore than as a squad player on reduced wages? 

Lightne up, it is what it is and as long the window is open, we can smell the pie .. 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Yep being at the top of the table changes things for sure. Players much more likely move for a team that could soon be offering Premier League football. We're gona be a harder sell until things improve on the pitch.  

10 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Was that the same time we had Kenyon and to a degree Mendes working with the club too?

the mendes thing was when tony mowbray was manager and he nixed the idea of bringing in young players from mendes

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Brunners said:

You are absolutely right. Let’s face it, at least half the people on this forum no longer live in Middlesbrough!

The sad fact is, it’s  just not a place that people dream of moving to regardless of their profession. 

I think that’s the main reason that we are always chasing players from the local area.

• Like 1
Just now, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

You are absolutely right. Let’s face it, at least half the people on this forum no longer live in Middlesbrough!

The sad fact is, it’s  just not a place that people dream of moving to regardless of their profession. 

I do!

It's a sh1thole, but it's the best sh1thole i've been to!

Would love to go to every home game and some away games .. 

Actually I am thinking about moving there, when I retire 25 years from now 😉 

• Confused 1
12 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I think that’s the main reason that we are always chasing players from the local area.

Where in England do people dream of living by the way? London? 

It may be great if you are a 25 year old single lad earning 100k a week, its not so great when you are stuck in the rat race. I've worked and spent time all over this country and unless you are in a great countryside location like the lakes or in a beautiful coastal location then it doesn't make much difference. Most towns and cities have good and bad. 

It makes me laugh when people describe Middlesbrough as a shithole, it isn't a great town centre but which of our players live in the town? If we are talking about *** holes what is it like in Tottenham for example, I wonder if Harry Kane lives there. 

There's some deprived areas around here but there's also some great countryside and coastline which is no more than a bike ride from Middlesbrough itself. 

I don't why people from round here move out of the area then look down their noses at it. 

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Borodane said:

We pay our transfer in exactly the same way I would imagine, I doubt we are paying any deals straight up, so I can't imagine it will have any other effect than it has now. We'd just be writing off 6 million income and instead get 1 player. Can we really afford a 6 million pound player right now? Or is it better to forward those 6 million on 2-3 players?

I doubt it would be the entire £6m. As pointed out in the other post, his deal ends in 2022, so they'd never get anything close to £6m for him.

My point was that is if we can utilise it to our advantage - to bring in a player who (if he) is a genuine target, then that can be utilised. 

For me? I'm not too fussed about Gibson either way. But if he is a genuine target, there's ways and means of getting it done. 

1 hour ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Is he?

Yes. Just because plodders might do a similar job in this league doesn't mean Ben isn't better than them.

1 hour ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Gibson is a farcical transfer target for a club that is "cutting costs".

I would agree with you for any other club looking to cut costs, however as previously stated he's apparently willing to take a huge pay cut to come here. 

I'm also not convinced we are still looking to cut costs, but that's a different issue.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)