oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

I get the “ be patient “ brigade regarding transfers. However my concern is we don’t seem to be getting very close to deals we are allegedly chasing - with the exception of Moore.To me this epitomises the amateur set up we have at the club. Other clubs appear to see a player, strike a deal and the signing happens. Whilst we appear to have long drawn out talks that never get anywhere

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

It’s a strange one. I always kind of assume that boro have to pay a “north east relocation tax” to some players in their contract due to the location we are in. It’s not ideal, but that’s life. We seem to be against paying high agent / contract fees and as such, most of our targets slip away and move elsewhere. 

Our success has only come from paying substantial contracts to players and whilst we have to move away from that model, we shouldn’t ignore it entirely. It’s a reality that we have to pay more to attract people. 

Unless of course we have a manager who players want to work with, but that’s rare and Karanka is the only one who springs to mind when we got the Chelsea loans. 

Added on top of the problems of the area, finances and manager, we’ve also just had the worst season in recent times by nearly being relegated. I don’t want to bash Woodgate and Gibson, but they took us to the brink of L1 and as a result, what little stature we had in the championship has now gone. That’s without even mentioning the current Covid situation making deals even less likely!

Following on from that, we’re also battling the tarnish of Pulis and the bottom line is, we’re just not an attractive club to come to from a players point of view. 

I don’t personally get the hate on Ben Gibson coming back. A local lad who has played at the premier league level and looked good, who is miles ahead of what we’ve got and WANTS to play for us. We should be doing all we can to secure this deal, and rightly so we seem like we are. We are not good enough to turn down that opportunity of Gibson back and his signing ticks a lot of boxes. 

We were lucky to get Roberts in Jan, but it is telling how he doesn’t want to come back after securing survival. That is the problem in a nutshell.

The question now is, how do you make Boro look like an attractive and appealing place to play your football, under an ageing Neil Warnock where you will get an average championship salary, in the run down North East of England?

• Like 3

It's a strange window with it closing a month into the season. Other clubs will know others will be desperate to have a go if they are either in the ***, or gunning for promotion. Clubs/agents will hang out for as long as possible imo

1 minute ago, Robin Johnson said:

I get the “ be patient “ brigade regarding transfers. However my concern is we don’t seem to be getting very close to deals we are allegedly chasing - with the exception of Moore.To me this epitomises the amateur set up we have at the club. Other clubs appear to see a player, strike a deal and the signing happens. Whilst we appear to have long drawn out talks that never get anywhere

The key word is appear, how many club fanbases do you think are sitting there happy with how this window has gone so far?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

I don’t personally get the hate on Ben Gibson coming back. A local lad who has played at the premier league level and looked good, who is miles ahead of what we’ve got and WANTS to play for us. We should be doing all we can to secure this deal, and rightly so we seem like we are. We are not good enough to turn down that opportunity of Gibson back and his signing ticks a lot of boxes. 

There is no "hate". I just question whether it's wise to spend so much money on a player that hasn't played for 2 years when we have so many glaring holes in the squad and not a bottomless pit of cash. But I suppose Warnock isn't a yes-man so that's at least some comfort.

• Like 3

Whilst Gibson hasn't played much for two years, I don't suppose that we haven't been keeping an eye on his general status whilst he has been in and around Rockliffe.....If there is any truth in the rumours of us being after him, his fitness will already be known and he should be very close to the rest of the squad in most things ...be interesting to see if he decides to rent a caravan in Cornwall for a week or two

21 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

We were lucky to get Roberts in Jan, but it is telling how he doesn’t want to come back after securing survival. That is the problem in a nutshell.

We don’t know he doesn’t want to come back yet tbf, judging off what’s been said we still want him and the prem loans were to be done later in the month. That’s what I’m hoping at least

10 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Where in England do people dream of living by the way? London? 

It may be great if you are a 25 year old single lad earning 100k a week, its not so great when you are stuck in the rat race. I've worked and spent time all over this country and unless you are in a great countryside location like the lakes or in a beautiful coastal location then it doesn't make much difference. Most towns and cities have good and bad. 

It makes me laugh when people describe Middlesbrough as a shithole, it isn't a great town centre but which of our players live in the town? If we are talking about *** holes what is it like in Tottenham for example, I wonder if Harry Kane lives there. 

There's some deprived areas around here but there's also some great countryside and coastline which is no more than a bike ride from Middlesbrough itself. 

I don't why people from round here move out of the area then look down their noses at it. 

Spot on, mate. I've been about a bit myself and nothing comes close to home. We've lived in Sunderland for 3.5 years now after moving out of London and that was a case of moving for the work just as much as I imagine some have moved around London for the same thing. Now the only place I dream of living one day is back in Boro.

Everywhere has its sacrifices but for me, the sacrifice was a great deal more in London, earning more money only to be *** plenty more of it away into that big enclosed ecosystem. It might be the place where everything happens for a lot of people but our lives have moved forward infinitely quicker since we got out of it.

• Like 1

The biggest glaring hole at the moment is centre back, where we have only 2 senior players. It is a position we struggled with dramatically last season with 2 midfielders filling in for large parts of the year. We have midfielders and also young lads who can play wingback, but if we do not stop the rot at the back then however many attackers we sign we will not move forward. The Boro teams of the mid 50s and the mid 90s were packed with star forwards but were eventually relgated due their inability to defend.

29 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Where in England do people dream of living by the way? London? 

It may be great if you are a 25 year old single lad earning 100k a week, its not so great when you are stuck in the rat race. I've worked and spent time all over this country and unless you are in a great countryside location like the lakes or in a beautiful coastal location then it doesn't make much difference. Most towns and cities have good and bad. 

It makes me laugh when people describe Middlesbrough as a shithole, it isn't a great town centre but which of our players live in the town? If we are talking about *** holes what is it like in Tottenham for example, I wonder if Harry Kane lives there. 

There's some deprived areas around here but there's also some great countryside and coastline which is no more than a bike ride from Middlesbrough itself. 

I don't why people from round here move out of the area then look down their noses at it. 

I think people dream of living in differing locations depending on their age and lifestyles. Of course there is some beautiful countryside and some idyllic coastlines nearby.

I too have lived in London, I enjoyed it at the time, but was happy to move away as it is a hectic place to live and there are certainly good and bad areas. I’m certainly not calling Middlesbrough a shithole, but it is quite a hard sell, especially with the season that we’ve just had. 

I just don’t think that a 25 year old footballer with a 23 year old wife for example would be that excited about the scenery surrounding Middlesbrough. 

When Mido signed, he joked that he had moved here for the shopping, following a comment from the then Newcastle manager that players wives want to live in London or Manchester for the shopping. 

22 minutes ago, Borodane said:

There is no "hate". I just question whether it's wise to spend so much money on a player that hasn't played for 2 years when we have so many glaring holes in the squad and not a bottomless pit of cash. But I suppose Warnock isn't a yes-man so that's at least some comfort.

Yeah, I don't think it's a hate, just a concern that the longer this goes on (and there's no guarantee it will come off regardless of how much we want it to), the less time and less freedom we have to explore other options. How much of the money have we set aside to bring Gibson back could have been put to better use by now?

On the flip-side, I can't say recent history tells us we would have spent it better, just that we'd have it to spend. At least we're pretty sure we know what Gibson brings us for that money, the only real concern about productivity in that regard is how much the last 2 years have set him back.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I’m certainly not calling Middlesbrough a shithole, but it is quite a hard sell, especially with the season that we’ve just had. 

I'm not really interested in the discussion about players. Its obvious that young millionaires want to live in a big city. 

I've seen Middlesbrough described as a *** hole on here (not by you) and then you went on to say that even a lot of posters on here don't live around here. It sounded to me like you are saying even half of our fans don't want to live here. Maybe I've misinterpreted that, I don't know. 

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ex-middlesbrough-skipper-ben-gibson-18781765

Don't know if it was mentioned here but Burnley are offering Forest Gibson in a deal for Worrall.

I think Nixon may have mentioned it as I've seen this already. But yeah, they can offer him but Gibson still has to accept. I honestly don't know why Burnley are even bothering involving him in swap deals like this right now as it's seemingly clear he's not going to accept it right now. If Gibson wants to ensure a return home, being permanently put in the hands of another club seems like a bad move.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)