oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

37 minutes ago, Borodane said:

There is no "hate". I just question whether it's wise to spend so much money on a player that hasn't played for 2 years when we have so many glaring holes in the squad and not a bottomless pit of cash. But I suppose Warnock isn't a yes-man so that's at least some comfort.

That’s fair, the use of word hate wasn’t directed at you either. I’ve seen posts on other platforms from people dead against it but it’s a valid point you make. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I'm not really interested in the discussion about players. Its obvious that young millionaires want to live in a big city. 

I've seen Middlesbrough described as a *** hole on here (not by you) and then you went on to say that even a lot of posters on here don't live around here. It sounded to me like you are saying even half of our fans don't want to live here. Maybe I've misinterpreted that, I don't know. 

To be honest most of our fan base has no choice but to move away from the area as is extremely difficult to find a high fling job in the boro. But I think for young footballers it is a great place to relocate to as is less distractions of the big city so they can focus on football 

50 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Where in England do people dream of living by the way? London? 

It may be great if you are a 25 year old single lad earning 100k a week, its not so great when you are stuck in the rat race. I've worked and spent time all over this country and unless you are in a great countryside location like the lakes or in a beautiful coastal location then it doesn't make much difference. Most towns and cities have good and bad. 

It makes me laugh when people describe Middlesbrough as a shithole, it isn't a great town centre but which of our players live in the town? If we are talking about *** holes what is it like in Tottenham for example, I wonder if Harry Kane lives there. 

There's some deprived areas around here but there's also some great countryside and coastline which is no more than a bike ride from Middlesbrough itself. 

I don't why people from round here move out of the area then look down their noses at it. 

London is a city for the rich. So it suits footballers down to the ground.

I lived there for 7 months whilst in a show last year. Hated it. Obviously there's some amazing restaurants and sights, but it's a bloody lonely city when you're not a millionaire. Everyone is working all the hours God sends just to afford to live in London. I live just outside Birmingham and love the fact I can meet up with mates for a drink/coffee/lunch even last minute. Used to have to book in meets with London mates weeks in advance...

Footballers are young men. They often live a cosmopolitan lifestyle, therefore living somewhere like London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Brighton etc suits them better. Not to mention the NE weather. I love it, but many soft southerners don't!

• Like 1

Probably needs its own thread this. Middlesbrough is just as nice as any other post-industrial town. Compared to somewhere like Bolton it is thriving.

And it borders some of the loveliest places on earth.

I only ever loved there at Uni. But I've spent more time there than anywhere else due to family and football.

And I will move there or nearby when I retire.

• Like 5

I left Boro in'83 when i joined up, ended up marrying a southerner and settling down here, lovely part of the country etc, but when people ask were are you from i always answer MIDDLESBROUGH, even though i've lived away longer than i lived there.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I'm not really interested in the discussion about players. Its obvious that young millionaires want to live in a big city. 

I've seen Middlesbrough described as a *** hole on here (not by you) and then you went on to say that even a lot of posters on here don't live around here. It sounded to me like you are saying even half of our fans don't want to live here. Maybe I've misinterpreted that, I don't know. 

But that’s what the discussion is about. 

I’m not saying that half of our fans don’t want to live in Middlesbrough, I’m sure many love it, especially if they have friends and family living nearby. A fair amount of people, such as yourself, move away to pursue careers, some move back, some settle down somewhere else. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Whilst Gibson hasn't played much for two years, I don't suppose that we haven't been keeping an eye on his general status whilst he has been in and around Rockliffe.....If there is any truth in the rumours of us being after him, his fitness will already be known and he should be very close to the rest of the squad in most things ...be interesting to see if he decides to rent a caravan in Cornwall for a week or two

If you look at it that way, we are actually far better placed than any other clubs interested in him to judge his fitness. Any other club just know he hasn’t played any games. We at least have seen him train over last six months.

In 1987, I managed to talk a lady into moving from LA to Middlesbrough....years later one of her friends asked her why she liked it here...she said that it was thirty degrees cooler, no earthquakes, fires, riots, serial killers, traffic jams, there was less smog, she was able to be on the moors, at the seaside, in the dales or York in between 30-60 minutes, people talked to her, and most importantly for someone at 5 foot 3 ...she was able to look people in the eye rather than the stomach....occasionally missed California, but said if people knew what this area was really like, they would understand....so I suppose it all depends on whose eyes it is seen through 

• Like 11

What is the real valuation for Ben Gibson now?

Ostracised by the Club that holds his registration, a bad injury, hasn't played competitively for two years. When he left here he was sold for £15M on the back of a promotion and then a decent Premiership season despite coming back down. In all honesty if I was a Forest or Norwich fan I would be looking at him and thinking £5M max and maybe less to be honest. He now represents more of a gamble in fact a risk to most potential buyers.

Will he get fit enough to get back to his previous highs or will he break down again once involved in competitive games. Personally I think Fry represents zero financial risk and still has the potential to grow in ability and value. Last season was a car crash for the club from top to bottom so I wouldn't put too much onto Fry for having a poor season. In four years time Fry will have a value, Gibson will be worthless and may or may not have been good value for money. I'm far from convinced that Gibson is the solution for our problems.

• Like 3

Just been looking at the pre season photos released by the club.

Saw everyone present bar Dael Fry i think. And dont recall Thomas Meijas being present in any of the photos either. 

Leo was present which was good to see.

4 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Just been looking at the pre season photos released by the club.

Saw everyone present bar Dael Fry i think. And dont recall Thomas Meijas being present in any of the photos either. 

Leo was present which was good to see.

Fry was the cameraman, we're cutting costs.

18 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

What is the real valuation for Ben Gibson now?

Ostracised by the Club that holds his registration, a bad injury, hasn't played competitively for two years. When he left here he was sold for £15M on the back of a promotion and then a decent Premiership season despite coming back down. In all honesty if I was a Forest or Norwich fan I would be looking at him and thinking £5M max and maybe less to be honest. He now represents more of a gamble in fact a risk to most potential buyers.

Will he get fit enough to get back to his previous highs or will he break down again once involved in competitive games. Personally I think Fry represents zero financial risk and still has the potential to grow in ability and value. Last season was a car crash for the club from top to bottom so I wouldn't put too much onto Fry for having a poor season. In four years time Fry will have a value, Gibson will be worthless and may or may not have been good value for money. I'm far from convinced that Gibson is the solution for our problems.

I agree. If we get Ben I'd like him to partner Fry and not a swap. While Fry didn't have the best of seasons last season he still has the potential to increase a lot in value. Especially with a better defense around him and a much better manager who actually knows what he is doing. I see no reason to swap those two unless Burnley offer us an outrageous amount of money. It doesn't seem like Fry wants to move anyway.

• Like 2
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)