oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

I like the idea of all these footballers wanting to live in London so they can visit museums and the theatre on a regular basis.  Most (decent) footballers want a big house or apartment, a couple of flash cars and a decent looking lass on their arm.  The closest they get to culture is Nando's and clubbing, which sounds an awful lot like the same stuff that they'd be doing up here.

But the point is still, why pick boro over all the other places you could do that in anyway? I’m not disputing the fact footballers by and large want a big house and the other things. Or am I naive enough to think footballers want a life of museums and theatres. But after that desire of a big house etc, which you could obtain elsewhere, why would a footballer pick to move to Teesside and want to move to Middlesbrough? If we can’t offer them higher wages or be known as a good club in the league, what else would a player get from coming here? 

This question is not made to rile people up or get people’s backs up about the area. But I think it is a large factor for why, unless we have a good well known manager or offer high wages, players won’t come or we struggle to get them here. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Likely because we can't afford players like that, how much is he costing them? Not much point comparing us with Norwich, a club who banked almost all of their premier league money.

He is only on loan and permanent if they are promoted so is affordable if our club had the contacts 

Attracting players, especially left field overseas ones tends to be down to 2 things:

Money and / or manager

If we had someone like Bielsa for example, we would have players clambering to sign. Much like Karanka was able to bring a lot of players from the Spanish leagues.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

We need a new left back Norwich are set to sign  quality in Villarreal 23 year old Xavi Quintilla for this position why aren't we in for these players. It all comes down to us being focused on the English market for our recruitment. Wish we signed more foreign players as they is far better quality abroad for the money! 

We signed loads of foreign players when we got promoted.  They were rubbish, lacked much fight and disappeared very quickly again.  Where you sign players from is irrelevant, it's all about who you sign.  Friend was as cheap as chips British signing who gave us great service as an example.

Edited by Changing Times
  • Like 3
Just now, TheJew said:

Attracting players, especially left field overseas ones tends to be down to 2 things:

Money and / or manager

If we had someone like Bielsa for example, we would have players clambering to sign. Much like Karanka was able to bring a lot of players from the Spanish leagues.

That why I would of liked a foreign manger to come in as enables us to sign quality foreign players we haven't heard of that would give us the edge.

7 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

If you think Redcar's bad now, I can remember when the big attraction was the topless chip shop.....not for the fainthearted

Not topless, but there's a lovely Brazilian café... (Not like that!)

Cacau just off the seafront is bloody amazing. The fella who runs it - Hamilton - also goes out to clean the beaches regularly. Top bloke.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

We signed loads of foreign players when we got promoted.  They were rubbish, lacked much fight and disappeared very quickly again.  Where you sign players from is irrelevant, it's all about who you sign.  Friend was a cheap as chips British signing who gave us great service as an example.

Yes the player's we signed in the premiership got us to top half at Christmas. However the club never invested in January like every other rival was doing so our form fell of a cliff and players moral dropped along with Karanka having a meltdown. But the signing you refer too in Negredo, Valdez, De Roon, Ramirez, Barragan, Traore and the already here Stuani. Weren't rubbish. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

But the point is still, why pick boro over all the other places you could do that in anyway? I’m not disputing the fact footballers by and large want a big house and the other things. Or am I naive enough to think footballers want a life of museums and theatres. But after that desire of a big house etc, which you could obtain elsewhere, why would a footballer pick to move to Teesside and want to move to Middlesbrough? If we can’t offer them higher wages or be known as a good club in the league, what else would a player get from coming here? 

This question is not made to rile people up or get people’s backs up about the area. But I think it is a large factor for why, unless we have a good well known manager or offer high wages, players won’t come or we struggle to get them here. 

Forgive me if I'm making a huge mistake here, but we do indeed have a squad full of players from all over the place already, don't we?  And that has been the same all the time I've been a Boro fan.  So I'm not really sure what the discussion is about at all?  We can sign players from here, there and everywhere, same as always.  We just haven't made lots of signings yet.  Grant Hall is from the south coast and we signed him after he left a London club.  We couldn't get Kieffer Moore because he's Welsh and he wanted to move to a Welsh club, it had nothing to do with Middlesbrough or Teesside.  The fella has played for Ipswich, Barnsley and Wigan, amongst others, so he's been around a bit.

People just need to calm down a bit.  You're acting like we've missed out on loads of players when in reality we've maybe missed out on one or two, Moore and possibly Amos.

• Like 1

For every Negredo there is a Barragan,,,and same goes for Stuani and Kike Sola.....some you win, some you don't ...there are just as many foreign failures as successes...just have different names..Ferrari sounds more exciting than Smith, but that's life....I would rather have someone with the heart of Pog or Franck than a Gaston that turned up when he felt like us and stabbed us in the back first chance he got....but that is just my view and others would probably call them plodders or donkeys

4 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Yes the player's we signed in the premiership got us to top half at Christmas. However the club never invested in January like every other rival was doing so our form fell of a cliff and players moral dropped along with Karanka having a meltdown. But the signing you refer too in Negredo, Valdez, De Roon, Ramirez, Barragan, Traore and the already here Stuani. Weren't rubbish. 

The top half, what are you talking about?  We'd won 4 games by Christmas ffs.  They were rubbish for us and they lacked fight.  They were a big part of why we were relegated.  The only two I'd give a pass to were de Roon cos he never gave less than his best and Stuani because he was the exact player he had been the previous season.  Negredo as well perhaps deserves some praise, albeit he looked disinterested long before the season finished.  The others did nothing for us or actively caused us problems.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

We definitely werent top half at Christmas mind, I think we were about 4 points out of the relegation zone at best

6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:m 

But we do struggle to attract players. One of the reasons we signed Hall was the Warnock link. If Warnock wasn’t here, I would be very surprised to see him still at Boro. Do you think he would have signed?

We have got a squad of players from other areas of the country, that true. But previously we have offered high wages or had pulling power of a manager. Thinking forward to this season, I am questioning if Boro and their lack of investing in the wage side of a player, will have a detrimental impact on us getting them. 

I am more than aware that it is early days in terms of the window and I am not panicking as to the fact we just have one body in. I’d rather we take time and got the right players. My worry is that we will identify the player, but then struggle to get them over the line, which undoubtedly has been our Achilles heel.  

Initially I was questioning the reasons why the recruitment will be difficult in this window and questioning if we should be looking to pay an inflated wage compared to other teams for players. The fact we won’t pay a high wage will in my opinion, limit the players who will opt to move to Boro. 

Moore went to Wales and I can understand him wanting to play for a Welsh team in Cardiff for the media attention and improve his prospects.

But other players who we’ve been linked with have moved elsewhere. It’s hard to find a reason as to why they have opted elsewhere, as I said it is a culmination of reasons, but it still doesn’t take away the lack of incomings.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)