oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

10 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Disagree on this bit. Wings best games all last season came when he was played further up the pitch. It allows him the freedom he needs with less defensive responsibilities. He could absolutely fit as a number 10 IMO.

He's just not a number 10 for me. Maybe the furthest forward in a midfield three that plays a 6 and two 8's. He doesn't have enough technical ability for me to play effectively as number 10. He's got a good strike but he can't take a man on and his passing is average. I'm not sure he can make those pinpoint throughballs or recieve the ball and instantely lose his marker. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

1 minute ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I dont get the obsession with wingers from our fans, he doesnt need to be a winger in a 433 or 4231. Hes an attacking midfielder as part of a front 3, with energy to press and get about defenders

If you don't get the fuzz with wingers then we disagree too much to discuss it. We are so easy to play againt because we have zero width. Overload the central areas and we are going absolutely nowhere. No pace or creativity. Just pedestrian pace and no penetration.

Just now, Borodane said:

If you don't get the fuzz with wingers then we disagree too much to discuss it. We are so easy to play againt because we have zero width. Overload the central areas and we are going absolutely nowhere. No pace or creativity. Just pedestrian pace and no penetration.

I didnt say that though, I said I dont get the obsession in that every attacking player needs to be a winger. Tav can play with width and can play through the centre, most good sides will have a front 3 which includes those that have the attributes of a typical winger who will be more interested in being out wide and mixed with those who will move more centrally.

The only reason we dont see Tav as a wide player is because of Woodgates obsession with him being a midfielder but he could easily play there, ideally though with pace options in the side and from the bench

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Disagree on this bit. Wings best games all last season came when he was played further up the pitch. It allows him the freedom he needs with less defensive responsibilities. He could absolutely fit as a number 10 IMO.

He’s much better further up but not convinced he has enough about his game to be a proper ‘10’ and make us tick going forwards like Ramirez or even Tomlin. Different types of player I suppose, but he needs to show a marked improvement from what we seen last season. Don’t think Woodgate’s experiment of playing him deep helped at all like. 

basically what BoroDane said up there 

7 minutes ago, Borodane said:

He's just not a number 10 for me. Maybe the furthest forward in a midfield three that plays a 6 and two 8's. He doesn't have enough technical ability for me to play effectively as number 10. He's got a good strike but he can't take a man on and his passing is average. I'm not sure he can make those pinpoint throughballs or recieve the ball and instantely lose his marker. 

Think there's some recency bias here. He's shown before that he has a great passing range. There's a reason he was so good under Pulis. He had a sophomore slump last year and basically everything he did looked worse, but it's not that he doesn't ahve the passing ability.

This is his make or break year, whatever position he plays.

Just now, Tarmo said:

He’s much better further up but not convinced he has enough about his game to be a proper ‘10’ and make us tick going forwards like Ramirez or even Tomlin. Different types of player I suppose, but he needs to show a marked improvement from what we seen last season. Don’t think Woodgate’s experiment of playing him deep helped at all like. 

No I agree he's probably not going to be your technically tricky number 10, but I think he showed during his first season that he does have a good eye for a pass and I think you can play around him pretty comfortably further up the pitch. Plus the further up the pitch he is, the more often you'll get to make use of  his biggest talent.

Last season went horribly for him (mostly, he had the odd good game here and there, usually when played more advanced) but as you say, I think he was forced into a role he definitely isn't suited to and it just seemed to throw his confidence off a cliff. 

This is his make or break year.

• Like 1

Pulis did try to warn us he wasn’t ready and still had a lot to learn, maybe we all got carried away a bit. Hope he comes good but we shall see. If he even ends up staying that is.

@Brunners to be honest I think its you with the bias here because you happen to really like him!

He didnt have a great first season either. He was part of that horrible pulis attack, he only started 19 games and was in and out of the team constantly due to inconsistent displays. Wing has never had a really good run of form for us- good games here and there, absolute screamers in a few games but thats it. He's a much more limited player than you give him credit for imo. 

21 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I dont get the obsession with wingers from our fans, he doesnt need to be a winger in a 433 or 4231. Hes an attacking midfielder as part of a front 3, with energy to press and get about defenders

the obsession with wingers is simple. most of us older lot 40+ will remember the good old days of traditional wingers being the exciting players who torture teams and create all the changes.  eg ripley and hendrie back in the day. from my view we dont have that at all. put them two in our team and wowsers you lads to young to remember them would be amazed how much more dangerous and exciting our games would get.

Nooo please don't let it start already, the 'he'll do a job out wide when he clearly isn't quick or direct enough' party trick we do every single season for the past 4 after missing out on all our wide targets 

16/17 - Miss out on Deulofeu, Ziyech, Burke, Antonio, Praet, Ghezzal etc - It's okay we'll play Stuani and ageing Downing out wide

17/18 - Miss out on McGeady, Ojo, can't remember who else - It's okay we'll play Braithwaite or Fletcher out wide

18/19 - Miss out on Bolasie, Phillips, Rafa Silva, Grosicki AND sell Traore - It's okay we'll just play 5 Centre Midfielders

19/20 - Miss out on Kent, Diangana, Ibe, El Younoussi, etc - It's okay we'll play Fletcher out wide again and actually give Marvin Johnson a starting spot

20/21 - ? 

Maybe we should do it again to be honest, create an award for the league's lowest scoring, most boring, slowest, attacking side and look to do the back to back to back

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
1 minute ago, Dynamo Kev said:

the obsession with wingers is simple. most of us older lot 40+ will remember the good old days of traditional wingers being the exciting players who torture teams and create all the changes.  eg ripley and hendrie back in the day. from my view we dont have that at all. put them two in our team and wowsers you lads to young to remember them would be amazed how much more dangerous and exciting our games would get.

Dont get me wrong mate, I would love another Adomah or a young Downing or just any width or pace. I would go as far to say that I would love width and pace on both sides but in modern football its not a prerequisite for success. Even in our promotion season we only had Adomah with the other wide player, which was mainly Stuani usually coming inside to join the attack.

My point really is we dont need a side with wingers or even a lot of pace to start scoring again, If we had a more dynamic defensive midfielder then we could rely more upon attacking full backs for width for example. I think we can all agree we need to start scoring goals though and as @Borodane stated, stop being so slow and pedestrian in our build up

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Nooo please don't let it start already, the 'he'll do a job out wide when he clearly isn't quick or direct enough' party trick we do every single season for the past 4 after missing out on all our wide targets 

16/17 - Miss out on Deulofeu, Ziyech, Burke, Antonio, Praet, Ghezzal etc - It's okay we'll play Stuani and ageing Downing out wide

17/18 - Miss out on McGeady, Ojo, can't remember who else - It's okay we'll play Braithwaite or Fletcher out wide

18/19 - Miss out on Bolasie, Phillips, Rafa Silva, Grosicki AND sell Traore - It's okay we'll just play 5 Centre Midfielders

19/20 - Miss out on Kent, Diangana, Ibe, El Younoussi, etc - It's okay we'll play Fletcher out wide again and actually give Marvin Johnson a starting spot

20/21 - ? 

Maybe we should do it again to be honest, create an award for the league's lowest scoring, most boring, slowest, attacking side and look to do the back to back to back

Even in our promotion season we only had Adomah and briefly Ramirez with pace, agree that is a priority but still think Tav is an attacking midfielder.

Worth noting though I dont think we were close to any of those players on that list, with the exception of Ojo and we did speak with Diangana

5 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

@Brunners to be honest I think its you with the bias here because you happen to really like him!

He didnt have a great first season either. He was part of that horrible pulis attack, he only started 19 games and was in and out of the team constantly due to inconsistent displays. Wing has never had a really good run of form for us- good games here and there, absolute screamers in a few games but thats it. He's a much more limited player than you give him credit for imo. 

Being part of a horrible Pulis attack is hardly a fair stick to beat him with. 

Last season, of players who played games in either DM, CM or AMC, he was one of the better ones, and again the stats bear that out.

Last season he had the most key passes per game, tied with Howson & Downing, while averaging 10 passes less per game than Howson. He was 4th on our assists list with 3(god we're bad), while only starting 20 games. He contributed to more goals than Saville, Downing, Mikel, Clayton, McNair (obviously) and was only one behind Besic (2g5a) and Howson (1g 6a) but in 2,145 minutes less than Howson & 474 minutes less than Besic. 

FWIW, he's still 5th in key passes per game this year too. (the 4 ahead of him if you're curious are Tav, McNair, Marv & Roberts).

Now I'm not arguing stats are the be all and end all, because they're clearly not. He did not have a very good season this year in a lot of ways. But the prior season under Pulis he was arguably our most effective midfielder.

I am a Lewis Wing fan, but I try not to hold any bias. I have called him out plenty for being turd in games this season and I praise him when I think he plays well. 

Trying to argue the common opinion wasn't that he had had a good first season last year is revisionist history if you ask me.

Even then, this year in what can objectively be classed a bad year for him, he STILL managed 7g 2a.

8 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Dont get me wrong mate, I would love another Adomah or a young Downing or just any width or pace. I would go as far to say that I would love width and pace on both sides but in modern football its not a prerequisite for success. Even in our promotion season we only had Adomah with the other wide player, which was mainly Stuani usually coming inside to join the attack.

My point really is we dont need a side with wingers or even a lot of pace to start scoring again, If we had a more dynamic defensive midfielder then we could rely more upon attacking full backs for width for example. I think we can all agree we need to start scoring goals though and as @Borodane stated, stop being so slow and pedestrian in our build up

we were low scorers when promoted to mate. because we only had one real winger. adomah. then we sold him gaston went awol and that meant a team with zero creativity went down with a whimper, we were pathetic. wingers might not be the be all and end all. but they are certainly key in creating chances and goals 

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)