oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

21 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Lots of the u23s training with the 1st team. A couple of spicy wingers in there. Wonder if they'll get a run out in pre season?

Who are our spicy wingers?

2 minutes ago, Tobermory Whitby said:

Who are our spicy wingers?

I can only imagine he's thinking of the two u23 wingers we signed last summer, Sam Folarin & Isaiah Jones.

Folarin was pretty heavily featured in the video and seemed to be getting lots of praise.

• Like 2

As @SzilardNemethsCurtains said even if we matched Brentford offer, chances are he would still have gone to Brentford over us as Brentford are in a better place than us at this moment in time. No criticism of us. Just the current cycle of both respective clubs.

Lets just relax and not claim our incompetence has led us to miss out on Goode. Brentford would likely always have been his preferred option even if we had a bid accepted

• Like 2

We cannot slag the club for over spending and that slag them for going out of budget.

We are where we are. Money will be allocated for different positions. I really hope we get Gibson as that will trump all other centre half signings in our league.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

As @SzilardNemethsCurtains said even if we matched Brentford offer, chances are he would still have gone to Brentford over us as Brentford are in a better place than us at this moment in time. No criticism of us. Just the current cycle of both respective clubs.

Lets just relax and not claim our incompetence has led us to miss out on Goode. Brentford would likely always have been his preferred option even if we had a bid accepted

But we didn't have a bid accepted, because the club wouldn't go up to a fairly low key £1m, so we'll never know.

Hard to see it as anything but a failure on the club's part.

Going off reports we're trying to spend over double that fee on this Joe Williams.

I'll retract my criticism if we get Gibson back and keep Fry.

1 minute ago, TLF10 said:

Isn't it our recent incompetence that makes Brentford more attractive? 

He spent his youth career at Fulham and that story weeks ago about him preferring QPR to us implied to me it was a West London thing to him the fact he's ending up at Brentford doesn't surprise me.

Question now becomes who's next because Dunkley's moved, we aren't competing for Rob Dickie at the 2 million price they want and the better Scottish CBs like Mckenna cost even more than Dickie.

I want gibson more anyway, not fussed on missing him. I am concerned that its losing out on yet another player we cant afford to sign to clubs that 2 years ago were below us in the pecking order. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I want gibson more anyway, not fussed on missing him. I am concerned that its losing out on yet another player we cant afford to sign to clubs that 2 years ago were below us in the pecking order. 

Don't know for sure but i bet it was the length of contract. He's just signed 4 years with another option of a year with Brentford. Imagine we would offer him 3 maximum and thats a stretch

Problem is we've been getting Gibson for the last few transfer windows and been told it's practically a done deal and it's never happened. It would have been nice to get Goode and Gibson both in and we'd have had four CB's and just needed a proper LB to complete the back line. Warnock want's four in by the end of the month so I wonder what four positions that is?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

Don't know for sure but i bet it was the length of contract. He's just signed 4 years with another option of a year with Brentford. Imagine we would offer him 3 maximum and thats a stretch

Team talk saying we wouldn't stretch to a mil.

He's a League 2 CB who hasn't played at this level before and who they wanted 1m+ for.

He would be 3rd choice behind Hall & Fry and we have Wood & Stubbs training with the first team to play back up for those two.

In terms of WHERE we need to invest our limited funds, CB was simply not the most important position.

No reason whatsoever to be upset about losing out on this one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We are damned if we do and damned if we dont, theres pages of the club getting maligned for overpaying for players but now we are trying to careful and balance the books we are told we should have just stumped up the million pounds for a league two player

• Like 2