oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

The point is people should not be losing their jobs and Gibson should be buying players. We are meant to be starting a promotion push in 3 weeks time. Have about 15 senior players. 

Those ideas of a promotion push are way off, I get Warnock's competitive but it's utterly beyond us and would have took a massive transfer window which we were incapable of delivering

• Like 3
1 minute ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Those ideas of a promotion push are way off, I get Warnock's competitive but it's utterly beyond us and would have took a massive transfer window which we were incapable of delivering

Agreed so can the gazette stop printing stories about it please

Marvin Johnson signed a 1 year deal and said promotions the aim haha

Maybe they meant promotion back to the champiomship next season 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Borodane said:

So you are saying the people should have been laid off years ago instead of keeping them on until now? I appreciate it's pittance compared to a big investment, but I'll maintain that it's wrong comparison to make. It's comparing apples and bananas. This isn't me saying I don't sympathise with those that a laid off, as it's never a fun situation for anyone and I doubt Gibson is enjoying it, but it sounds like it was inevitable and maybe should have been done a long time ago.

No what I'm saying is, we shouldnt of been in the position to lay people off whether it's now or a few years ago.

If Gibson hadn't took his eye off the club then we wouldn't be in this position. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Agreed so can the gazette stop printing stories about it please

Marvin Johnson signed a 1 year deal and said promotions the aim haha

Maybe they meant promotion back to the champiomship next season 

That's got to come from Warnock though, I know people will say he's been let down in the market but he's the one who set aims which we can all see now we're very optimistic given our track record 

Its a predictable tone on here at the moment; the clubs badly ran, there isn't any ambition, XXX should be sacked etc.

For me football has lots its sheen generally, its long been over hyped, over invested and over exposed.

Transfer windows these days are a perfect example of that, supports forensically pore over the tiniest bit of information and are desperate for some exciting new players - which is understandable.

But maybe we need to relax a little, what will be will be. I don't subscribe to the theory that the club is necessarily badly run and I make that judgement from a mix of personal experience and an educated guess. Its stable and will remain so, with expenditure in line with what is affordable and within FFP.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

No what I'm saying is, we shouldnt of been in the position to lay people off whether it's now or a few years ago.

If Gibson hadn't took his eye off the club then we wouldn't be in this position. 

But if wise old Pulis was right in that we were doing it all wrong behind the scenes and it took his wise head to see that we need to restructure and merge jobs then we've had too many employed for years. If we had done it like Pulis says then those people would never have been hired or the restructuring and subsequent redundencies would have happened earlier. Do we have too many staff employed or don't we? Pulis seemed to think so and now Gibson is following his advice.

I agree that the club is very poorly run (from the outside at least) and with more succes following promotion/relegation might have meant we needed all the current staff and didn't need to downsize.

15 minutes ago, Borodane said:

So you are saying the people should have been laid off years ago instead of keeping them on until now? I appreciate it's pittance compared to a big investment, but I'll maintain that it's wrong comparison to make. It's comparing apples and bananas. This isn't me saying I don't sympathise with those that a laid off, as it's never a fun situation for anyone and I doubt Gibson is enjoying it, but it sounds like it was inevitable and maybe should have been done a long time ago.

A well run club would have money in order to keep staff on board. There’s a difference between restructuring and then to lying people off. 

We are not a well run club on or off the pitch and it has been the case for a while and it’s the people at the bottom who are losing out for Gibson’s poor running. 

He probably does sympathise with the people losing their jobs. But sympathy won’t pay the rent and put food on the table for a lot of the staff. The real kicker is that we still spend millions of pounds on wages when one sacrificed player could keep people in a job with hard times coming up. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Jonny Ingbar said:

Its a predictable tone on here at the moment; the clubs badly ran, there isn't any ambition, XXX should be sacked etc.

For me football has lots its sheen generally, its long been over hyped, over invested and over exposed.

Transfer windows these days are a perfect example of that, supports forensically pore over the tiniest bit of information and are desperate for some exciting new players - which is understandable.

But maybe we need to relax a little, what will be will be. I don't subscribe to the theory that the club is necessarily badly run and I make that judgement from a mix of personal experience and an educated guess. Its stable and will remain so, with expenditure in line with what is affordable and within FFP.

It's a fair point, it's easy to get swept up by it all though

Surely the redundancies are at least partly - if not totally - due to Covid? If we can’t have any fans at ground and fans are buying less kit online due to losing their own jobs etc. we don’t need as many staff in shop. 
Even when fans are allowed back, we’ve probably sold more season tickets than the number of fans to be allowed in ground, so we don’t need people in ticket office to same degree.

its only same as M & S or Easyjet shedding thousands of jobs - their isn’t enough work for the existing staff. Plus Rockliffe was supposed to earn money to help football club. At moment it is probably losing money hand over fist.

None of above is SG fault, is it? Blame him for interfering, or not recognizing changes needed higher up ladder, but these redundancies aren’t connected to that. 

• Like 6
12 minutes ago, Jonny Ingbar said:

The club has gone from the Premier League to near-relegation in the space of 3 years. It had a piece of one of the biggest sporting pies in the world and within 3 years of leaving it behind and only a year after losing the parachute payments from it, we're putting people into redundancy and notably not just from the effects of a pandemic. How is that not badly run?

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

Surely the redundancies are at least partly - if not totally - due to Covid? If we can’t have any fans at ground and fans are buying less kit online due to losing their own jobs etc. we don’t need as many staff in shop. 
Even when fans are allowed back, we’ve probably sold more season tickets than the number of fans to be allowed in ground, so we don’t need people in ticket office to same degree.

its only same as M & S or Easyjet shedding thousands of jobs - their isn’t enough work for the existing staff. Plus Rockliffe was supposed to earn money to help football club. At moment it is probably losing money hand over fist.

None of above is SG fault, is it? Blame him for interfering, or not recognizing changes needed higher up ladder, but these redundancies aren’t connected to that. 

The job cuts started last year.

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

The club has gone from the Premier League to near-relegation in the space of 3 years. It had a piece of one of the biggest sporting pies in the world and within 3 years of leaving it behind and only a year after losing the parachute payments from it, we're putting people into redundancy and notably not just from the effects of a pandemic. How is that not badly run?

Don't forget the seasonally regression

The eternal optimists won't have a realist word said about the club is the problem, was the same last season when saying we wouldn't finish play offs brought on the bed wetter chants 

As it stands it's pretty likely Warnock won't finish the season with us 

We aren't going to be immune from the economic consequences of Covid and lack of parachute payments. Arsenal have just made 50 redundant as well, whilst adding to an already generous contract for Aubemyang. It is sad what is happening but we are not alone in being in this situation. 

• Like 6
28 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I was expecting a massive transfer window and finally Gibson investing in the football club! But he's trying to cut costs yet again so will be another horrific grind of a season to look forward. 

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)