oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

55 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

The club has gone from the Premier League to near-relegation in the space of 3 years. It had a piece of one of the biggest sporting pies in the world and within 3 years of leaving it behind and only a year after losing the parachute payments from it, we're putting people into redundancy and notably not just from the effects of a pandemic. How is that not badly run?

Because football, by its very nature, only allows a very small number of clubs to succeed. Boro are not the only club to bounce regularly between the top two divisions and many, with the benefit of bigger turnovers, fare worse in doing so.

Whilst I'm not suggesting that, with hindsight, mistakes have been made, the club remains financially stable and still competitive with many, if not most clubs, at our current level. 

Edited by Jonny Ingbar

1 hour ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Those ideas of a promotion push are way off, I get Warnock's competitive but it's utterly beyond us and would have took a massive transfer window which we were incapable of delivering

17 points off the playoffs last season, so 5 wins and two draws over a full season. i think warnock  with  the 5 or so signings he wanted could have made a go at playoffs, just have to sign people first haha.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tmcc said:

17 points off the playoffs last season, so 5 wins and two draws over a full season. i think warnock  with  the 5 or so signings he wanted could have made a go at playoffs, just have to sign people first haha.

Whilst I'm not suggesting we have a squad that will expect to finish in a play-off spot, Warnocks record over his 8 games wasn't far short of one, points per game.

• Like 2

At 2:30 there's an absolutely ridiculous pass from someone - I think it's Sam Folarin.

• Thanks 1

I have not been a Gibbo admirer for a lot of years now. I see the state the club is in- and it is in a state- and I can’t get my head around why so many still blindly follow Gibbo and will hear nothing said against him.

He is the man that has virtually taken us full circle under his tenure. No vision. No ambition, no plan, no leadership, what does he offer?

I concede he like other chairmen are keeping their clubs going in these extraordinary times that does not make him better than any other

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jonny Ingbar said:

Whilst I'm not suggesting we have a squad that will expect to finish in a play-off spot, Warnocks record over his 8 games wasn't far short of one, points per game.

his record (50% win) stretched over a full season would have placed us 7th i believe, which would be in keeping with how pulis did with a largely similar squad. this is why i believe an outside shot of playoffs was achievable if a few signings were made. Problem now is that we have lost 5-6 senior players and replaced them with 1, as i said the other day, there is now doubt the squad is weaker than the one that finished last season. 

7 minutes ago, Brunners said:

At 2:30 there's an absolutely ridiculous pass from someone - I think it's Sam Folarin.

Aye that's folarin with the flick

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jonny Ingbar said:

Because football, by its very nature, only allows a very small number of clubs to succeed. Boro are not the only club to bounce regularly between the top two divisions and many, with the benefit of bigger turnovers, fare worse in doing so.

Whilst I'm not suggesting that, with hindsight, mistakes have been made, the club remains financially stable and still competitive with many, if not most clubs, at our current level. 

But we haven't bounced regularly between the top two divisions. We've been there for one season of 11. When we came down in '09, we were a mess, we didn't have two pennies to rub together. When we came down in '17, we were burdened with so much cash, especially after sales, that we burnt away on a poorly formed transfer strategy, remnants of which are still here today.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting the club to go out of business and yeah, I'm glad of that, it's why I'm still happy enough Gibson is the man who owns the club and not just some nobody who would have risked it all again and again. We could definitely be worse off than we are. But you also have to bear in mind what parachute payments are actually for. They're not there to try and give you the financial edge to get back into the top tier, as much as that's what everyone uses them for.

When you do that, you take a risk and just because every bugger does it doesn't mean we're absolved of the bad decision we made. It was a poorly calculated risk, we picked the wrong man for the job, we gave him far too much money to spend and then shifted mentality entirely when we got rid of him. In the same season we hired Monk, we were already trying to cover for our mistakes by hiring someone who apparently knew how to clean up a mess. A mess we made. So here we stand, we still exist and wow am I thankful for that. But it does not mean we are not a badly managed club.

11 minutes ago, Jonny Ingbar said:

4 wins and 4 losses - 12 from 24 = 1.5 points per game. Over 46 games that's 69 points, usually just shy of a play-off spot.

9 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Warnock wearing AirPods. Games gone. 

Wonder how much Barnsley paid for their latest signing

Winger from Austria, persuaded him to join relegation battling Barnsley from a Europa League team wow

Remember guys, its the area's fault we can't attract players not because we're the brexit club and useless at recruiting 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

I have not been a Gibbo admirer for a lot of years now. I see the state the club is in- and it is in a state- and I can’t get my head around why so many still blindly follow Gibbo and will hear nothing said against him.

He is the man that has virtually taken us full circle under his tenure. No vision. No ambition, no plan, no leadership, what does he offer?

I concede he like other chairmen are keeping their clubs going in these extraordinary times that does not make him better than any other

This is a Load of B****S without  SG this club would be History, so go back to Scumberland 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barnaby said:

This is a Load of B****S without  SG this club would be History, so go back to Scumberland 

😴😴😴 he can do no wrong in the eyes of these people 

• Like 1