oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Wonder how much Barnsley paid for their latest signing

Winger from Austria, persuaded him to join relegation battling Barnsley from a Europa League team wow

Remember guys, its the area's fault we can't attract players not because we're the brexit club and useless at recruiting 

We signed a GK from Switzerland just 6 months ago so not entirely sure what your dig about us being a brexit club is about? 

7 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Wonder how much Barnsley paid for their latest signing

Winger from Austria, persuaded him to join relegation battling Barnsley from a Europa League team wow

Remember guys, its the area's fault we can't attract players not because we're the brexit club and useless at recruiting 

he had played with there manager before, remember they convinced him (Gerhard Struber) to join and i think he was 2nd or top of the austrian div at the time. 

20 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Said it before and ill say it again. Bouncing around from manager to manager, each with their own philosophy directly contradicting their predecessor is half the problem.

Not backing Karanka in the January window. Sacking Karanka and then replacing him with Agnew and then appointing Monk who clearly new nothing of the squad he inherited was the commencement of this monumental mess. Gibson solely to blame.

Totally agree with this, we are constantly tearing things up and rebuilding. I couldn’t believe we went from monk to pulis, Dean Smith was the totally obvious choice. I don’t care that he was already employed, the players we had suited him down to the ground but no we go for the guy who was obviously going to hate half of them.

We always seem to try to do things on the cheap and it always costs us more in the long run. How much did our cheap effort to avoid relegation cost us? We literally may aswell have just signed nobody other than bamford. I dread to think who we turned down for being too expensive only to sign guedioura and never play him. Gestede must have cost us close to £15m over the length of his contract, again for doing absolutely nothing.

The previously mentioned pulis experiment imo cost us adama, bamford and gibson. In return after tearing up the squad we got a boatful of short term fixes, wide players that never played and strikers that couldn’t score. Don’t tell me it was to save money because everything we brought in seemed to magically add up to our sales total.

Next we get the woodgate fiasco, the ultimate cheap out. It lasted a few months and his job was saved by a virus. Unbelievably we replaced him a week before the season restarted (maybe this was down to the virus idk). Apparently woodgate a bright idea was to pass the ball when we have it and tackle when we don’t, he brought in 3 players, 2 of which were gone within months. Most likely thanks to the PR guy who was allowed to build a team and apparently only left after himself going to gibson and saying he was ***.

These last few seasons of jerking between 1 solution to the next and spending fortunes each time tell me one thing. Gibson was not this shrewd business man but a passionate fan who was willing to throw more money than the actually shrewd chairmen of the other teams. Now it doesn’t work anymore we have been massively found out.

Teams whos fans we used to laugh at on twitter a few years ago (Burnley, Leeds, Brentford, villa, wolves, forest) have steadily coasted past us, not only that but (with the exception of villa) have done it without just throwing money around (yes wolves spent well but im pretty sure we spent more between them getting mendes on board and promotion), but building steadily over the seasons.

We are no better ran than the likes of stoke, Sunderland, Birmingham, old Leeds. All teams who’s failures we used to enjoy pointing out.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

What was Warnock saying to Wingy there about 2:50?

"That's good Wingy & you too, I'll keep me eye on you [redacted] I gotta keep my [redacted] eye on Tav and Wingy, sorry son, might mean looking at you an' all"

Some good work from the lads in training. Some great instructive passing in the passing drills 

I as m a bit disappointed in the standard of burpee’s but I don’t know what stage of training it was (could have been near the end so it’s forgivable) however Britt absolutely nailed the bottle flip so alls good 👍

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

I agree, but parachute payments dropped then. We still had Ayala, Gestede etc to pay. This year we have Britt and Howson on mega money. Like I said it's sad. We are paying for the 2017 Monk splurge, some of that is Gibson and Bauser fault but I don't remember too many people complaining at the time. We might not be remotely near where any of us want to be as a club but overspending on wages or deals now for players will only lead to more redundancies down the line. 

I don’t sign up to this argument, yes we as fans got caught up in the excitement but that still doesn’t mean the club as a professional entity did mess up badly. Not just being let down by players not performing but by making obvious errors.

We got relegated, we had bamford (a proven striker at this level) and gestede. However we were clearly lacking width up front. What do we do? Go and blow over half our budget on 3 more central strikers. Throwing off the whole dynamic of the team and blowing our biggest chance ever to address this problem we have had for years of not having any decent forwards.

Any clued up recruitment team should have known bamford was good enough to be the lead striker and we maybe needed one in as a different option. 

My point is that while we as fans didn’t complain, it’s not our job to. Of course we will get excited by new signings, but they were signings the club should never have made. We as fans would have got just as excited over signing (just for example) Jota, Ollie Watkins etc. Ie players we actually needed.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

Well, this point seems to have been missed by a few. 

Come on you know what I mean. As fans it’s not our job to identify what is needed and what players to bring in. Yes we can debate about it but we rely on the club to do it properly wether that means disappointing us or exciting us. 

We should look back in the long term and be pleasantly surprised, rather than being able to point out the glaring errors.

1 minute ago, LinoJo3 said:

Come on you know what I mean. As fans it’s not our job to identify what is needed and what players to bring in. Yes we can debate about it but we rely on the club to do it properly wether that means disappointing us or exciting us. 

We should look back in the long term and be pleasantly surprised, rather than being able to point out the glaring errors.

Agreed, pretty much every signing excites fans of that club, too hard to take an objective stance on them at the time

I'm sure lots of people had reservations about spending 15m on Britt and 10m on Braithwaite but the prospect of having a prolific new strike force is too exciting to think impartially 

Looking back it was a joke to throw that much money at a brand new managers feet and we should have done what norwich are doing, Dowell and the winger theyve signed look very astute signings on top of keeping their promotion winning manager and not needing to sell their talent unless they get the bids they want 

34 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Teams whos fans we used to laugh at on twitter a few years ago (Burnley, Leeds, Brentford, villa, wolves, forest) have steadily coasted past us, not only that but (with the exception of villa) have done it without just throwing money around (yes wolves spent well but im pretty sure we spent more between them getting mendes on board and promotion), but building steadily over the seasons.

Not going to disagree with the rest of the post, but Wolves cheated financially and have been charged by UEFA for it.

Leeds were in real financial danger if they didn't win promotion this season, because of overspending.

Forest have spent a bomb.

Burnley were only outspent by ourselves and 1 other team during the promotion season.

Brentford spend plenty, they just sell for even more.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

It's all cyclical. In the 90s and early noughties everything was going well. But many clubs have spells like that. Everyone was drooling over Leeds this year. Look where they have been. Stoke seem to have wasted their parachute payments and are now adding geriatric frees to their already bloated squad. Where are Sunderland. You can reel off clubs that are worse run than us. Because it matters to us fans though sometimes it feels that Boro are the worst run club in the world, and that just is not true. As you have said, the decisions of the club will either excite or disappoint us. Currently they are disappointing most. You say its not for us to decide what players we bring in but when we don't bring in linked people it's all doom and gloom. 

I am as disappointed as anyone at certain aspects of the club but unfortunately you can't sack underperforming players to reduce redundancies in the back office. I am confident that we will bring in the required players and that we will have a much better season than last. It is going to be a slow rebuild and I can accept that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)