oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

6 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

Thought it was done? 

My info is that a deal had been agreed with Burnley and Middlesbrough but that included Fry.  He has refused to go despite quite a lot of pressure from club.  

Burnley will only agree to a loan if they can bring in a centre back.  The issue is that they were wanting to use Gibson as part of any offer for a centre back.

So in short I was told it was done.  But then things haven’t gone the way the club wanted.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Youngy228 said:

My info is that a deal had been agreed with Burnley and Middlesbrough but that included Fry.  He has refused to go despite quite a lot of pressure from club.  

Burnley will only agree to a loan if they can bring in a centre back.  The issue is that they were wanting to use Gibson as part of any offer for a centre back.

So in short I was told it was done.  But then things haven’t gone the way the club wanted.

Fair enough 👍

Just now, Skinemrippers said:

Good on Dael Fry. I would genuinely prefer to keep him than continue chasing Gibson. It’s pretty poor that we are pressuring him. Didn’t the same happen to Gibson as well? 

Gibson was hugely complicated in going.  There was a big falling out between Ben’s dad and Steve and Ben was left in a difficult position.  Let’s just say he wasn’t 100% into the Burnley idea.

1 minute ago, Youngy228 said:

I honestly think the club are pathetic for trying to force Fry out of the club just to get Gibson back, absolutely pathetic. I think Fry is right to dig his heels in if he doesn't want to go. There's no reason Fry can't be as good or better than what Gibson was for us other than crap coaching and there's not even a guarantee that Gibson comes back and is the same player we frivolously got shot of 2 years ago.

• Like 3

There will be a lot of people who say its a load of ****.  But I can only pass on what I heard.  To be fair i thought it was solid info from the source.  

But I guess the lesson is the club say they are confident and that means nothing as look what happened with Williams.

Theres a great read called Done Deal by Daniel Geey that talks about transfers and what happens to get deals done.  Worth a read.

• Like 1
Just now, Youngy228 said:

There will be a lot of people who say its a load of ****.  But I can only pass on what I heard.  To be fair i thought it was solid info from the source.  

But I guess the lesson is the club say they are confident and that means nothing as look what happened with Williams.

Theres a great read called Done Deal by Daniel Geey that talks about transfers and what happens to get deals done.  Worth a read.

I listened to (most of) the audiobook last year, interesting stuff.

Just now, wilsoncgp said:

I honestly think the club are pathetic for trying to force Fry out of the club just to get Gibson back, absolutely pathetic. I think Fry is right to dig his heels in if he doesn't want to go. There's no reason Fry can't be as good or better than what Gibson was for us other than crap coaching and there's not even a guarantee that Gibson comes back and is the same player we frivolously got shot of 2 years ago.

Totally agree. If a club wants to use a contract as a way of showing the value of a player then a player has every right to play through his contract.

Note the play through part!!!  I’m not talking Gestede or Ayala to an extent (injuries that no one could find but him)

I respected Shotton leaving as I did Johnson playing on.  Shotton wasn’t getting another conract - Johnson had a chance of one....

So if we're sticking with a 3-5-2 which unless we get some major additions in, I think would be the best formation with the players and depth we have:

----------------------------Stoj/Pears/Meijas

----------Dijk/Howson---Hall/Stubbs---Fry/McNair

Spence/Dijk----McNair/Wing--Saville/Howson---Coulson/Johnson/Bola

-----------------------------Tav/Browne

-----Fletcher/Browne/O'Neill---------Britt/Burrell

The fact that we've not really been linked with any wingers to me suggests that this will be the plan next year, the places we look thinnest in this formation is CB and Striker which would make sense with the sort of players we've been linked with this summer. But overall I'm not too unhappy with the squad as it is I think with some more depth it could push for a top half finish under Warnock.

1 minute ago, Foogle said:

So if we're sticking with a 3-5-2 which unless we get some major additions in, I think would be the best formation with the players and depth we have:

----------------------------Stoj/Pears/Meijas

----------Dijk/Howson---Hall/Stubbs---Fry/McNair

Spence/Dijk----McNair/Wing--Saville/Howson---Coulson/Johnson/Bola

-----------------------------Tav/Browne

-----Fletcher/Browne/O'Neill---------Britt/Burrell

The fact that we've not really been linked with any wingers to me suggests that this will be the plan next year, the places we look thinnest in this formation is CB and Striker which would make sense with the sort of players we've been linked with this summer. But overall I'm not too unhappy with the squad as it is I think with some more depth it could push for a top half finish under Warnock.

I dont think this is the case. It'll be 433 with coulson/johnson/spence/one other as the wide men. Everything about warnocks teams at the end of the season and what he's said in the press about our wide men points to this.

Though I do agree that your formation would be a better use of our players.

• Like 1

If getting Gibson means losing fry then I wouldn’t want us to do the deal. I know fry has had a very difficult season, but being with Warnock this season will certainly help him as will having a proper centre back partner

• Like 1

So as a snippet from Done Deal.... He talks about a transfer cost.  

£35 million transfer fee

£26 million in wages for 5 years (typical wage for premier league player)

£5 million image rights payments to player

£3 million sign on fee and loyalty bonus

£1 million performance related pay

£1.3 millions agents fee.

Total cost 71.3 million.

I know this is a premier league player but it shows that a headline transfer fee becomes more complex.  Middlesbrough are ok at agreeing the transfer fee and the player wage but seem unable to agree to the finer details - we all know Gibson will only deal with certain agents etc.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

I dont think this is the case. It'll be 433 with coulson/johnson/spence/one other as the wide men. Everything about warnocks teams at the end of the season and what he's said in the press about our wide men points to this.

Though I do agree that your formation would be a better use of our players.

How many times have managers come in with the intention of playing a 4-3-3 with this squad and ending up back at a 3-5-2 when they realise we just don't have the players to make it work 🤠

I think Britt and Fletcher have to have another Striker with them to be effective, whether that means Fletcher will be playing as a winger in a 4-3-3 where he's shown he can be fairly effective. We'd then need a more creative winger on the other side, whether that could be Browne I'm not sure, again I feel we just don't have the players currently to play a 4-3-3...

15 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Maybe it's a bit tin-foily but the fact Fry hasn't appeared in a single piece of media since pre season started makes me think we're trying to get him out the door. Even if he was injured I'd have expected like a photo of him on a treatment table or something.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)