oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

45 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Obviously.

It's even worse if we're a hard sell to players that people consider rubbish.

How are you wanting us to entice him? Offer him stupid wages? Because there been countless posts on here about the stupidity of this club offering stupid wages to average players. Gestede & Shotton spring to mind.

Are you wanting the club to hold a gun to Stewarts head and tell him he cant leave the building until he signs?

What would you do differently? I am intrigued to know what people criticising the club would do differently?

I assume the solution is to tell the club to do something we all actually criticised them for doing in past? Like offer higher wages or big long contracts with huge bonuses etc?

• Like 2
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Just now, TLF10 said:

How are you wanting us to entice him? Offer him stupid wages? Because there been countless posts on here about the stupidity of this club offering stupid wages to average players. Gestede & Shotton spring to mind.

Are you wanting the club to hold a gun to Stewarts head and tell him he cant leave the building until he signs?

What would you do differently? I am intrigued to know what people criticising the club would do differently?

I assume the solution is to tell the club to do something we all actually criticised them for doing in past? Like offer higher wages or big long contracts with huge bonuses etc?

Wages wouldn't appear to be the problem.

3 minutes ago, macapes said:

So, what is?

I dont know. The club have offered more money inane instances and still been turned down.

Personally, I think its perception about the direction the club is going in. Managers like Pulis and Warnock aren't that desirable to play for these days.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, TheJew said:

The 2 and a half seasons in the Championship and the first part of the season in the Premiership under Karanka.

Also some great cup results.

That was success. 

The failure was to not back Karanka in the January transfer window, and then to sack him and replace with Agnew.

I honestly believe if Karanka had been left in charge, even if we had been relegated, we would be back in the Premier league by now.

To be fair the club tried to back Karanka in January and his top targets turned us down. By that point we were already struggling, couldn't string together any runs and had massive splits in the changing room. Whilst I agree we should have kept him to give him a chance to get us straight back up, we didn't get relegated because of a bad January transfer window that was just a wasted opportunity to try to save a sinking ship. 

If only Swansea stuck with Bob Bradley and Palace with Pardew

2 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

To be fair the club tried to back Karanka in January and his top targets turned us down. By that point we were already struggling, couldn't string together any runs and had massive splits in the changing room. Whilst I agree we should have kept him to give him a chance to get us straight back up, we didn't get relegated because of a bad January transfer window that was just a wasted opportunity to try to save a sinking ship. 

If only Swansea stuck with Bob Bradley and Palace with Pardew

Delefeou (sp) wanted to come...

Jese didn't.

We got Gestede. 

8 minutes ago, TheJew said:

I dont know. The club have offered more money inane instances and still been turned down.

Personally, I think its perception about the direction the club is going in. Managers like Pulis and Warnock aren't that desirable to play for these days.

Plus we have Neil Bausor doing our negotiating, a man who couldn't negotiate a one way street.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Jese didn't.

We got Gestede. 

Still to this day I wonder what might of been if Deulofeu came and replaced Ramirez  who pulled a sulke as didn't go to Leicester for 10 million as we had no replacement 

6 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Jese didn't.

We got Gestede. 

Delefeou wouldn't have kept us up alone and then we wasted weeks on Jese, who turned out to be awful in the prem anyway

It was a shocking season, we were just flattered in the first half of the season because Swansea and Palace were atrocious

3 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

We might have finished 6 points adrift instead of 12?

to stay up we just needed to convert 6 draws into wins. that may of been done if we could score which this delafeu could of done for us

1 hour ago, TLF10 said:

There seemed quite high percentage of people on here who did not want Kevin Stewart in 1st place but there is also a high percentage now getting angry that kevin Stewart might not be coming here.

This suggests some people are having  a meltdown about a player possibly not coming that they did not even want to come.

Or, the more likely scenario, is that different people have different opinions. 

Those that didn’t want him were the posters on here saying they didn’t want him when we were first linked. And the posters that did want him are the ones that are now annoyed that he might not be coming. Is that such a far-fetched idea?

I mean, I would be extremely surprised if you went back and found posts from the exact same poster, one saying he wasn’t good enough when we were first linked and another post from the exact same poster saying that they are now annoyed that we might not get him...

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
Just now, DurhamRed said:

to stay up we just needed to convert 4 draws into wins. that may of been done if we could score which this delafeu could of done for us 

I appreciate your optimism but I just can't see it at all, we were much more than one player away. Look at the games we drew, we barely created anything. I think our player with the most assists was 3 or 4 and might have even been Negredo

Not only did we need to replace Gaston, who gave up but we still hadn't replaced Adomah

Anyway I need to stop talking about 2016 and try to find some false hope for this summer

Anyone who says "If Karanka had stayed, we'd have got back up", I honestly don't think you remember quite how it ended. People remember the beginning of the end and the Charlton game and think because we got promoted after that, that all got swept under the rug. I think if you think back to the time leading up to January in the Prem and beyond, you'd think differently.

I stuck up for Aitor a lot in that Prem season, I did. Because there's absolutely no doubt about it in my mind, Karanka's tenure was only eclipsed by McClaren's and nothing else post McClaren even came close to that. And I imagine I gave him a lot of the benefit of the doubt because I didn't want that taken away from me. But you have to be truthful to yourself; he went because he needed to go and with the benefit of hindsight, he didn't go soon enough. I will also say if I was in Gibson's shoes during that time, I don't know if I'd have handled it any differently, though that would have definitely been a fault on my part.

He needed to go as he'd lost it, he was really struggling to handle it at that point. He was so *** off with the January window, as many of us were. But he was the manager, he needed to control those emotions and focus on getting the best out of the players he had. If there were a few bad eggs in the squad causing fuss, get rid of them. Whatever he could have done to better unite the players, he just didn't seem to be doing it. Then when he left (despite the nature of how we handled the aftermath), I think you felt a weight lifted. He was dragging those lads down despite how much I'm sure they didn't want to feel that way about him. Some of them, anyway. Some of them never have or will forget how good they felt working for him at the best of times, listening to Ben Gibson on BBC Tees the other day reminds you of stuff like that. At the time, I imagine it was like a relationship gone sour, no matter how *** it gets, it's hard to forget about the good times and it's hard to walk away from it.

Aitor needed a break from football, he needed a break from us and we needed a break from him. I do wonder, given the last remnants of his squad at the time have now moved on, whether he would be capable of coming back here and starting it all over again. Maybe, maybe not, I guess it depends on what terms he really is on with the non-playing staff who remain at the club, like the chairman. But even if somehow that was true and he could, I don't think there's any doubt he would have failed to get us back up had he stayed on at the time. What was happening at the time needed to stop and prolonging it would not have helped, only hindered.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)