oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Warnock wants to get us up, preferably this season. If he thinks Sol Bamba will help us to do that then buy him. Doesn’t matter how old he is, how much he costs. Forget about whether we can sell him on or not. It doesn’t matter. Warnock has the record for getting teams promoted. Gibbo will back him. By the way... THERE IS STILL EIGHT WEEKS UNTIL THE END OF THE TRANSFER WINDOW.  (Wonder how long this thread is by then)!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Anyone who says "If Karanka had stayed, we'd have got back up", I honestly don't think you remember quite how it ended. People remember the beginning of the end and the Charlton game and think because we got promoted after that, that all got swept under the rug. I think if you think back to the time leading up to January in the Prem and beyond, you'd think differently.

I stuck up for Aitor a lot in that Prem season, I did. Because there's absolutely no doubt about it in my mind, Karanka's tenure was only eclipsed by McClaren's and nothing else post McClaren even came close to that. And I imagine I gave him a lot of the benefit of the doubt because I didn't want that taken away from me. But you have to be truthful to yourself; he went because he needed to go and with the benefit of hindsight, he didn't go soon enough. I will also say if I was in Gibson's shoes during that time, I don't know if I'd have handled it any differently, though that would have definitely been a fault on my part.

He needed to go as he'd lost it, he was really struggling to handle it at that point. He was so *** off with the January window, as many of us were. But he was the manager, he needed to control those emotions and focus on getting the best out of the players he had. If there were a few bad eggs in the squad causing fuss, get rid of them. Whatever he could have done to better unite the players, he just didn't seem to be doing it. Then when he left (despite the nature of how we handled the aftermath), I think you felt a weight lifted. He was dragging those lads down despite how much I'm sure they didn't want to feel that way about him. Some of them, anyway. Some of them never have or will forget how good they felt working for him at the best of times, listening to Ben Gibson on BBC Tees the other day reminds you of stuff like that. At the time, I imagine it was like a relationship gone sour, no matter how *** it gets, it's hard to forget about the good times and it's hard to walk away from it.

Aitor needed a break from football, he needed a break from us and we needed a break from him. I do wonder, given the last remnants of his squad at the time have now moved on, whether he would be capable of coming back here and starting it all over again. Maybe, maybe not, I guess it depends on what terms he really is on with the non-playing staff who remain at the club, like the chairman. But even if somehow that was true and he could, I don't think there's any doubt he would have failed to get us back up had he stayed on at the time. What was happening at the time needed to stop and prolonging it would not have helped, only hindered.

You're not wrong to be fair

It's a desperation to believe that the good times could have somehow returned in the championship and trying to wish away Agnew and Monk that make me kid myself that it would have worked but it ended really badly.

54 minutes ago, TheJew said:

I dont know. The club have offered more money inane instances and still been turned down.

Personally, I think its perception about the direction the club is going in. Managers like Pulis and Warnock aren't that desirable to play for these days.

Perhaps it's because the manager has only signed up for a single season and they're wondering what's gonna happen to them in a year's time? If they had anything about them, they'd look at the last few years and recognise that, we don't exactly have a long term plan and that's bloody obvious because we've brought in Neil Warnock for one year before he retires and whatever he builds gets torn down again.

I do kind of wonder at this stage too if we're just in this vicious cycle, where players are turning us down and so others will also turn us down. Even if we are selling ourselves as chasing promotion this season, it won't help other players sign up if all they see through the door is Grant Hall. If we could have signed Gibson up by now then I guess that might not be a problem as to most, I think it would show our ambition. As it is, we could be waiting forever for that one to come off if it even does, so right now we need to make a bit of a statement... whilst not blowing our load.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, sambaDTR said:

Warnock wants to get us up, preferably this season. If he thinks Sol Bamba will help us to do that then buy him. Doesn’t matter how old he is, how much he costs. Forget about whether we can sell him on or not. It doesn’t matter. Warnock has the record for getting teams promoted. Gibbo will back him. By the way... THERE IS STILL EIGHT WEEKS UNTIL THE END OF THE TRANSFER WINDOW.  (Wonder how long this thread is by then)!

And if we don't go up this season? Which we obviously won't by the way, 12th is a more realistic target and even that might be pushing it. We've got a 36 year old CB who's probably barely played for us on god knows how much a week about to retire

Might as well burn the money rather than sign Bamba in my opinion, end result is the same 

• Like 2

I just can't work out how this club operates when recruiting players

So we have a full season knowing that we're not going to offer Shotton a contract, Moukoudi will eventually return to his parent club, didn't replace Flint, Ayala 50/50 to sign a reduced deal and Fry will probably have interest from bigger clubs leaving us embarrassingly short at the back. 

We should be scouting hundreds of CBs all season long so whoever the manager in come the summer, they can pick who they like the look of and try and sign them. Yet who have we been linked with?

Gibson (Ex player financially unlikely)

Hall (Warnock recommendation) 

Goode (Warnock staff recommendation)

Bamba (Warnock recommendation and absurdly short sighted)

Maghoma (Relegated from the Polish league) 

So what do the people paid by the club to find players actually f****** do?

We've started preseason, 3 days from our first friendly, 13 till the cup and 3 weeks till the league and we have 2 senior Centre Backs and an unbalanced squad so we're forced to play wing backs and so need 3 Centre Backs?

Let's not even getting started on attacking creative players haha

Remember us being painful to watch for a full season being the 5th lowest scorers and so the Gazette came out with a Gibson approved article saying the club "want to change tack" and play attacking football? And then now we're the lowest scorers in the league and have 0 recent links to forward players?

The worst thing though is people try and defend all this for some reason 

• Like 9
1 hour ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

So we have a full season knowing that we're not going to offer Shotton a contract, Moukoudi will eventually return to his parent club, didn't replace Flint, Ayala 50/50 to sign a reduced deal and Fry will probably have interest from bigger clubs leaving us embarrassingly short at the back. 

We should be scouting hundreds of CBs all season long so whoever the manager in come the summer, they can pick who they like the look of and try and sign them. Yet who have we been linked with?

We've started preseason, 3 days from our first friendly, 13 till the cup and 3 weeks till the league and we have 2 senior Centre Backs and an unbalanced squad so we're forced to play wing backs and so need 3 Centre Backs?

Remember us being painful to watch for a full season being the 5th lowest scorers and so the Gazette came out with a Gibson approved article saying the club "want to change tack" and play attacking football? And then now we're the lowest scorers in the league and have 0 recent links to forward players?

Can’t argue with that, honestly I don’t think I’ve ever seen us this bad. We have been on our backsides for 3 summers when it comes to getting players in now.

Even when mowbray came in and had about £1m total budget we did far better than this so it’s not down to money imo. Whatever decisions were made during pulis’ time here with regards to signing players are really NOT working.

Only thing I can think of is the whole monk/agent fiasco has burnt any trust we had in dealing with agents. Idk it’s painful to watch, rejected by player after player.

9 hours ago, Borodane said:

It’s hardly surprising that his agent has tried hard to get other offers for his client and has probably informed every championship club that Stewart has an offer on the table so if they want him they need to act fast. And then one club has taken the bait. He would be a poor agent if he didn’t try hard to get multiple offers. We probably did try to push him by bidding for Williams. 

I would agree but if he was low on my A list target I’d wait until he came back to me and then would tell him to shove. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

The thing is creative players are hard to find and in high demand, surely centre backs are easier to identify for the level we are playing at. 

7 hours ago, sambaDTR said:

Get us up where, promotion, are you serious or token. The whole squad needs changing or at least a good half plus back Up.
When managers come in we tend to all agree and give them time, if players come in it’s basically the same but you are suggesting we will be out of the blocks quicker then a March Hare. I have bought some crap but I very much doubt I’m buying this dream. Listen if things go well in the transfer window I’ll be happy to see stable mid table and good football. 

• Like 2

I suspect judging by the frustrated tone and recent flurry of a lot of posts on here many contributors are perhaps too young to remember back to the 1970's Western TV series Kung Fu. David Carradine played the role of Kwai Chang Caine, a half-American half Chinese character trained as a Shaolin monk in China.

image.png.4c54299d5944b96a81a3179d646f662b.png

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Christ what a mess this club has become. It doesn't matter that the transfer window is open until October that just gives players more time to turn us down. 

And I was the one you accused of bed wetting a couple of weeks ago. 😂

I totally share your frustration though.

Seeing Sol Bamba and Stewart linked shows you how low this club has fallen and how badly this club is being managed. If it wasn’t for Warnock having so much respect for Gibson I don’t think he would have stayed on. If he was at any other club and having a transfer window like the one we are having he would have walked. It’s an absolute bloody farce. 

Edited by "KM"
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)